NFL announces extension of DirecTV Sunday Ticket deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nces-extension-of-directv-sunday-ticket-deal/

NFL announces extension of DirecTV Sunday Ticket deal
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 1, 2014

sundayticket.jpg

NFL Sunday Ticket is staying on DirecTV.

The league announced on Wednesday that it has extended its agreement with DirecTV to give the satellite provider the rights to show out-of-market games. Darren Rovell of ESPN reports that it’s an eight-year deal that will see DirecTV paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year, a 50 percent increase over the $1 billion a year DirecTV was paying under its previous deal with the league.

The NFL’s announcement also said DirecTV will continue with added features beyond the live Sunday games, including the Red Zone Channel, Game Mix with eight games on one screen and the new Fantasy Zone channel. DirecTV will also continue carrying NFL Network on satellite and make it available to subscribers to watch on mobile devices.

Some fans who have cable and can’t get DirecTV will be disappointed that Sunday Ticket isn’t going to be available to cable subscribers. But DirecTV is increasingly promoting the ability of Sunday Ticket subscribers to watch games on tablets and phones, which means you no longer need a satellite dish on your roof to have Sunday Ticket. You just need to pay DirecTV for access, which millions of fans will do. Sunday Ticket is one of the most valuable properties on American television, because the NFL is the most popular programming on American television.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So nothing's changed except the filthy rich are gonna get richer and millions of NFL fans will still need to subscribe to an overpriced, shitty satellite tv service in order to pay again to get NFL games. Got it. Ok. Nothing to see here. Business as usual.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Sigh......Now I just need to set that sling box up at my parent's house so I don't have to watch low quality streams anymore.

Or they need to offer that Madden deal every year with the streaming package.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So nothing's changed except the filthy rich are gonna get richer and millions of NFL fans will still need to subscribe to an overpriced, crappy satellite tv service in order to pay again to get NFL games. Got it. Ok. Nothing to see here. Business as usual.

There are ways around it. But they all involve watching the games on your computer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There are ways around it.
But they all involve watching the games on your computer.
Like the Madden deal last season. We both used that IIRC. Totally worth it.
I'm not someone who wants or needs satellite or cable tv. I'm just waiting for the day when i can order Rams games ONLY so i can just stream it thru my big screen. :)
$9.99/game. Make it happen!

AZRamsFan93

So nothing's changed except the filthy rich are gonna get richer and millions of NFL fans will still need to subscribe to an overpriced, crappy satellite tv service in order to pay again to get NFL games. Got it. Ok. Nothing to see here. Business as usual.
Actually, DirecTV's satellite service is top notch. It may be expensive, but I watch EVERY channel I care about in high def with Dolby 5.1 sound. All of the movies are 1080p. The DVR is good. I have no issues other than it would be nice if it were cheaper but that is true with every purchase I make.

They make a product. I like it. I buy it.

Nobody seems to care that Apple or Samsung make huge profits.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So if directv is paying 50% more, how much will they be asking for it next year?
I've gotten it free the last two years. I hope that doesn't change.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Actually, DirecTV's satellite service is top notch. It may be expensive, but I watch EVERY channel I care about in high def with Dolby 5.1 sound. All of the movies are 1080p. The DVR is good. I have no issues other than it would be nice if it were cheaper but that is true with every purchase I make.

They make a product. I like it. I buy it.

Nobody seems to care that Apple or Samsung make huge profits.
I had Direct tv. I just don't need hundreds of channels that i don't have any interest in. As for movies i've got that covered.

Obviously its a great product for many...as for myself(and many others) we're just tired of the Sunday ticket being tied to a satellite tv company...STILL.
Technology and mobile streaming has moved forward. Its time to move forward with the NFL product as well...but its all about exclusiveness, which is another way to say greedy.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This is the worst news that could have come today! I was really hoping the NFL would open up there own streaming service. Like another post here stated "$9.99 a game" or package deals or whatever. . . I really don't get this other than the money but I think the NFL would get pretty close to matching that with fans being able to buy certain games, buy into certain packages, etc. The internet is where the viewing experience needs to be moving. I hardly ever watch television(cable, satellite, bunny ears). If I am bored and wanting to watch something I will watch something on youtube.

Why do you think the NFL isn't going to offer some kind of streaming service with a fee? Is it because they can't even figure out how to build a good website?

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
I would gladly agree to a reduced Sunday Ticket price if I could just get the Rams games. They let me cancel this year without a fight. Oh well my Son just got it and he only lives 3 blocks away. Guess were I will be on Sundays?

AZRamsFan93

I had Direct tv. I just don't need hundreds of channels that i don't have any interest in. As for movies i've got that covered.

Obviously its a great product for many...as for myself(and many others) we're just tired of the Sunday ticket being tied to a satellite tv company...STILL.
Technology and mobile streaming has moved forward. Its time to move forward with the NFL product as well...but its all about exclusiveness, which is another way to say greedy.
The NFL is a business, not a benevolent society.

You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. The NFL's revenue run rate from DirecTV went up 50% in this deal. They are smiling all the way to the bank.

It seems that the Sunday Ticket product will be available via streaming. You will have to pay DirecTV to get it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the Madden deal last season. We both used that IIRC. Totally worth it.
I'm not someone who wants or needs satellite or cable tv. I'm just waiting for the day when i can order Rams games ONLY so i can just stream it thru my big screen. :)
$9.99/game. Make it happen!

I am using another work-around this year offered up by Tron.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The NFL is a business, not a benevolent society.

You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. The NFL's revenue run rate from DirecTV went up 50% in this deal. They are smiling all the way to the bank.

It seems that the Sunday Ticket product will be available via streaming. You will have to pay DirecTV to get it.
You and i could go round and round all day about capitalism and just get more and more pissed off at each other.
At least we both like the Rams :D

Anyway, a friend of mine has been kind enough to share his services to me as far as Rams games this season goes. I'll ask him if i deserve it. :cool:

AZRamsFan93

You and i could go round and round all day about capitalism and just get more and more pissed off at each other.
At least we both like the Rams :D

Anyway, a friend of mine has been kind enough to share his services to me as far as Rams games this season goes. I'll ask him if i deserve it. :cool:
We are brothers in Rams!!