New Scenario Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If trading down is still your plan, I think it more prudent then to pick up Gurley along the way.

If the QBs are absolute trash and Glennon is the only option, you go ballz out with road grading lineman and add a RB freak like Gurley.

We've seen time and time again how Lynch bails out Wussell's Wilson's crap QB-ing. What better idea to help take even more pressure off Sam (if healthy) or a new guy coming in, than a combination of Gurley and Mason with a dash of BamBam?

I'd love to see what a competent, creative OC could do with Gurley/Mason/BamBam and gadget plays with Austin behind a stud O-Line with a healthy Sam. Or at worst, Glennon.

Eh. I still think I'd go OL in that spot if one of my top guys were available.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice post, some great ideas....
The Bad

No thanks on Josh Gordon. That guy has major problems. I know Cris Carter turned his life around but those decisions have to come from within and he doesn't seem like cares. Why take the risk on him
Damn, do you know this guy personally, or have a crystal ball? Good call...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel we already have a couple plus they still figuring how to use Ta. I want to see Bailey get more reps and getting a high draft pick gone take away from him

Last year some people were scratching their heads at he Aaron Donald pick. The Rams Dline looked pretty set in 2013. Whenever a team has a chance to upgrade with a potentially elite talent then they should. Kevin White the WR looks like an elite talent to me. I know teams can win without a A. j. green type of WR but I also recall what Larry Fitzgerald used to do to the Rams on a regular basis. Going BPA in round 1 is never a bad idea unless it is a Special Teamer.

As for Tavon and Bailey, I don't want to wait around. After Quicks surgery the doctor said his shoulder looked like Spaghetti. That sounds severe to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nice post, some great ideas....
Damn, do you know this guy personally, or have a crystal ball? Good call...

LOL I guess you are replying to his recently failed drug test that was announced today.

I don't know him but as a landscaper and crew leader of a second chance program I have dealt with many employees that were drug addicts. Most of them have deep seeded reasons that led them to use and those reasons ont go away or ever seem fixable. The guys that just like to party? I think they can get over it and grow up, but Gordon has had too many failed tests.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like your offseason moves but I will be very surprised (But, thrilled!) if Scherff is available at #19 (Actually, I will be surprised if he is still available at #10) and I am not sure the Rams will want to team up Gordon with Britt (Especially, since Britt really seemed to do so well with the current Rams receivers last season!)! Gordon could have a really negative effect on Britt (Of course, there is that chance Britt could have a real positive effect on Gordon!).

Scherff will go somewhere between 15 and 25 imo. He's not a NFL LT so that'll drop him down the board. His arm length and lateral agility make him a liability at LT.

He may not make it to #19 depending on whether a team who values him as an OG takes him first like the Cowboys and Zach Martin but I think there's a very realistic chance he's available at #19. If not, one of Collins or Clemmings should be.

Scherff will be there at #10. I will be shocked if he goes top 10.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Carden is more or less Austin Davis.

Heinicke is more like Chase Daniel...but he's more athletic and has a better arm.

BTW I love Langford and feel that's the type of back the Rams are missing...The Rams need a Battering Ram as one of the options at RB and Langford would fill that void.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW I love Langford and feel that's the type of back the Rams are missing...The Rams need a Battering Ram as one of the options at RB and Langford would fill that void.

I like him too. Good pass catcher that has the size to be an effective pass protector...and as you mentioned, he's willing to fight for and churn out yardage. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like him, that would be a 3rd/4th rounder in most classes, might fall to the 5th.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would say that Glennon would still come in as the backup. It isn't like the Rams would be grabbing Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, who Sam could not beat for the starting job. Glennon is a big upgrade over Hill and Davis. A team with a top defense could win with a guy like Glennon if it came to him having to start.
Sam is guaranteed almost 14 mil if they dont restructure. So he's going to take a paycut which i'm sure is incentive laden with a guy who will also command PT
If Sam's going to take that big of a haircut, its going to require commitment IMO

Athos

Legend
Eh. I still think I'd go OL in that spot if one of my top guys were available.

I dunno. A trade down with the right team could net you Gurley and still get you Cann and maybe Irving or another quality C. And still fill out the draft with lineman.

Like I said tho, OC is key. Which is why I'm holding off on a new pre-combine mock. Gotta get a feel of the direction we may go on offense first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno. A trade down with the right team could net you Gurley and still get you Cann and maybe Irving or another quality C. And still fill out the draft with lineman.

Like I said tho, OC is key. Which is why I'm holding off on a new pre-combine mock. Gotta get a feel of the direction we may go on offense first.

I totally understand this stance but I wouldn't mind doing both. Grabbing one of my top rated OLs and then double dipping with a Cann or an Erving or another OL.

I think a lot of Gurley...if I were to move down into the late 1st, I'd seriously consider taking him because I doubt the OLs I want fall that far. But this is also an incredibly talented and deep HB class.

Sam is guaranteed almost 14 mil if they dont restructure. So he's going to take a paycut which i'm sure is incentive laden with a guy who will also command PT
If Sam's going to take that big of a haircut, its going to require commitment IMO

That's why he got the commitment. Second year added on with guaranteed money. I didn't mention the guaranteed money but it would have to be there.

However, he's not guaranteed almost $13 million because he can be cut and get none of it. So he has to weigh what he'd get on the market if cut when assessing what he's willing to sacrifice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rather than make a new thread...here's the same mock but I replaced the Gordon trade with another feasible one:
Restructure
Sam Bradford - 2 years $17 million

Released
Jake Long OT
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C
Eugene Sims DE
Isaiah Pead HB
Total Cap Room: $26.0 million

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 4 years $20 million($5 million first year)
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $7.8 million
Total Cap Room: $18.2 million

Free Agency
Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Douzable is a rotational DT that can step into the run stuffer role and is even capable of playing some DE if needed.

Rodney Hudson C
rodney-hudson.jpg

5 years $37.5 million($6 million first year)

Only 25 years old and considered one of the best young Centers in the league. Time for the Rams to get the Center spot upgraded and unlike Wells, Hudson isn't being signed right before he hits the decline. Chiefs have to pay Houston first so that gives us a shot.

Ryan Harris OT
8114971.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Harris is a solid starting RT that has had some injury issues in the past but played well in KC last year.

John Conner FB
4934511827_aeefcd30ea.jpg

1 year $1 million

Kendricks departs via FA for a starting job elsewhere so we decide to move Harkey to TE full time in Kendricks's old role and bring in John Conner to play FB for us.

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st Round #10
Philadelphia trades 1st Round #20, 2nd Round #20, and 5th Round #11

St. Louis trades 2nd round #9
San Diego trades 2nd round #16 and 4th round #18

St. Louis trades 5th round #9 and HB Zach Stacy
Tampa Bay trades trades QB Mike Glennon
glennon.jpg

Philadelphia goes all in for Mariota. They trade up to #10 and then move up to #4 with Oakland. They deal Foles to Tennessee which allows them to recoup some of the value they gave to us.

San Diego needs to build up its OL so they trade up for one of the first round caliber OLs that drops out due to the depth this year.

The Rams need a backup QB while the Bucs are going to pick a QB at #1 and already have McCown as a backup. Bucs need a HB with Doug Martin falling off a cliff. Make sense for both teams.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #20 - Brandon Scherff OG Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

Analysis: I have serious doubts about Scherff's ability to be a quality OT at the next level but I think he can be an elite OG. He's an incredible run blocker with a serious mean streak that plays through the whistle. Guy can be one of the best OGs in the NFL.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Paul Dawson LB TCU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0u7iZE4UDk

Analysis: This kid blew me away. He SHOULD go in the first round. He reminds me so much of Lavonte David as a prospect. He won't go in the first round because he's 6'2" 230 but I'll tell you this much, if I felt I needed to stay put in the 2nd round at #9 to draft him, I wouldn't do the trade down that resulted in Owa.(although I'd just draft Owa with this pick) Dawson put up 136 tackles, 20 TFLs, 6 sacks, 4 Ints, 9 PDs, and 2 FFs this year which was his first as a full time starter. I can't stop raving about this kid. He's an outstanding athlete with top shelf cover skills and he is so good at knifing through seams to get into the back-field against the run. He's basically moving at a different speed from everyone else on defense because his instincts are so good and I love his intensity...the guy is always sprinting and always jumping into piles to help gang tackle people. He just has a non-stop motor. I WANT PAUL DAWSON ON THIS TEAM.

Round 2 Pick #20 - Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3mHEp2zw8

Analysis: The Rams need to start planning for a future without Chris Long. Owa has serious potential and is a great player for Waufle to develop. He has freakish power and serious explosion off the snap. Not really a guy who will bend around the edge but he's a great run defender with the potential to be a very good pass rusher once he expands his set of moves.

Round 3 Pick #9 - Cedric Ogbuehi OT/OG Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6tZpQVRuV8

Analysis: A tough Senior year and his torn ACL drop him down the board but we scoop him up as a player to develop for the future. There are some questions about his work habits and his technique is very poor but Ogbuehi has top 10 caliber physical skills at OT including phenomenal feet and has experience inside at OG. May have to spend his rookie year on IR.

Round 4 Pick #18 - Rob Havenstein OT/OG Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTftkxEBw0U

Analysis: We continue to add depth to and improve the OL. Havenstein is a massive man with the power and wide base to play inside. He has the feet to be a competent RT if needed but I think he ultimately has more potential at OG like Alex Boone.

Round 5 Pick #20 - Jeremy Langford HB Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhTprkJgow

Analysis: Good all around HB that could be called a jack of all trades master of none. Good runner that can do a bit of everything although he needs to be more patient at times and a guy who can catch the ball as well as protect the passer.

Round 6 Pick Comp - Taylor Heinicke QB Old Dominion

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8oGVS4K2SA

Analysis: We take a shot on a QB to develop behind Bradford and Glennon...at least until next year. Heinicke impressed me with his ball placement, instinctual ability to find passing lanes, willingness to climb the pocket, and his mobility. However, he's short(6'1") and lacks a great arm.

Round 7 Pick #31 - J.J. Nelson WR UAB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34KWtpfzAQ

Analysis: Nelson was the best KR in the NCAA in 2014 averaging nearly 40 yards per KR and returning four for TDs. Nelson has blazing speed, good vision and balance, and is very decisive with the ball in his hands. He also has more WR skills than I expected and could push Givens for his WR job.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: John Conner
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Brandon Scherff
C: Rodney Hudson
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Ryan Harris

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: J.J. Nelson
PR: Tavon Austin

P.S. I freaking love Paul Dawson. Had my first opportunity to evaluate him tonight.