NEW: Rams Top 5 Needs Heading to Free Agency/Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ams-Needs-Heading-into-Free-Agency-Draft.aspx
Top 5 Rams Needs Heading into Free Agency, Draft

Shane Gray

The St. Louis Rams look to be in the best shape that they have been in for several years regarding potential free agent departures this offseason.

Of their internal free agents, the only players who have a legitimate shot at playing prominent roles in the club's future include unrestricted free agents Kenny Britt (wide receiver), Joe Barksdale (right tackle) and Lance Kendricks (tight end), exclusive rights free agent Cory Harkey (fullback/tight end) and restricted free agent Rodney McLeod (safety).

Assuming St. Louis locks up Britt, Barksdale and one of the two tight ends listed above, the following represents the Rams top five positional needs heading into the 2015 NFL Draft and free agency period.

5. Outside Linebacker

While outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar actually played more in 2014 (40.2 percent of snaps) than he did the year prior (39.3 percent), he posted his least productive season since 2009 from a statistical perspective and registered just three of his 36 total tackles in December as the Rams shifted towards a big nickel package more often as the season wore on.

While Dunbar has generally been very solid against the run for St. Louis since arriving as a free agent addition from New Orleans in 2012, he has struggled at times in coverage.

In short, Dunbar is a very upgradeable linebacker. While he isn't killing the Rams defense, he's not helping them as much as a superior performer in his spot could, either.

Considering the overall experience level of the Rams front seven and linebacking corps, I could see the front office leaning towards a draft selection to fortify the spot.

That said, it isn't a shoe-in that Dunbar doesn't hold onto the starting spot in the final year of his contract, especially considering his long history he possesses with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams -- who Dunbar played for while each were with the Saints.

4. Free Safety

(ROD, I hope each of you are doing well. I would be interested to know if you agree or disagree with my top 5 needs areas AND if you agree or disagree with their order. Thanks, as always, ROD):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ams-Needs-Heading-into-Free-Agency-Draft.aspx

lockdnram21

Legend
That's cool but mine would be
1. Qb
2. RT (not a fan of Barksdale and don't buy Joseph made him bad)
3. G
4. LB
5.CB

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Shane, I think CB is a bigger need than FS. I think we'll draft a TE, who can block. I think versatile OL, who can play OT, and G, would be real important. I think with the way GW runs the defense that OLB may be minimized, but we do need depth at LB...period. We need a Mike more than a Sam, or Will, IMO.

Take care, dude.

Alan

Legend
Good analysis as usual Shane. (y)
That's exactly the order and positions I would have chosen Shane. Let's hope we can fill some of those holes in FA so that we're not so hamstrung during the draft. Are you planning on coming up with some suggestions in both FA and the Draft? I'd love to hear who you like at those positions.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good stuff Shane.
I would go a slightly different direction.

1. QB
2. Center
3. Guard
4. LT/RT depth
5. OLB

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Nice write up Shane. I think when considering a list like this you have to treat your own UFA's as not part of the roster at that point. So people like Barksdale, Britt, Kendricks all create holes and needs. With that being said, my list is as follows:

1. OL - I'm going to just go generic because quite frankly, we do need a Tackle, Guard, and Center. I agree that a veteran center can be found in FA, whereas replacements at RT and LG would probably be found in the draft. We could also resign Barksdale, and I think people should seriously consider Jake Long for that RT spot. We may not be able to get rid of him until training camp once he is fully recovered, so his money wouldn't help us get any big FAs and we are on the hook for even less next year if he doesn't pan out. Of course, I've maintained that if we go this route we must also draft a RT as insurance. If the RT outperforms J Long, we can simply release him without much hassle.

2. WR - I read your reasoning for keeping WR off your list, and I agree that if we re-sign Britt this isn't much of a need. But since he is a UFA, and because our next best WR has shown to have a steep learning curve when it comes to new offenses and is also coming off a season ending should injury, we definitely have a lot of questions at the position. But again, once Britt is resigned, this completely drops off my board.

3. QB - I put this need third simply because we aren't as needy here as people think. We are essentially looking for a developmental backup with some strong potential that can theoretical start at QB. We are looking at the Hoyers, Smiths, and Cassels of the QB position so we are prepared if Sam can't play.

4. OLB - Now we really only need 2 starting LB positions since TJ and Barron will play as pseudo backers more often. Right now we have 3 starting caliber LBs, but like Shane said, Dunbar is definitely replaceable and getting a younger guy to keep Ogletree on his game might be in the best interest of the team.

5 - CB - We need a more physical corner that can play press coverage. We need a Plan B to Janoris Jenkins in case he can't keep his head on straight during the game. Gaines is a stud, but Tru and Jenkins have a lot of question marks on them. And with our scheme not requiring the skill of a great FS I say that the need at CB trumps the need at FS.

Edit: This was an excellent read Shane. I enjoy reading these articles. Thank you.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Nice article, very well done.
I would rate the positional needs as.
1. C
2. LG
3. RT
4. CB
5. LB
I'm thinking the Rams have to rely on Bradford being healthy and then need to start winning now. That means they must score points and that begins with the OL. My 4 and 5 are a toss up. The WR are set as long as they bring Britt back. Britt, Quick, Bailey are one heck on a trio.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Gonna go against the grain and state I feel anyone who has #1 need at QB will be proven wrong, tho it is the "safe" pick.

We'll see "further down the road"

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Shane good to see you back I could not get into the inside sight for what ever reason I'll try later any who.

LB has got to be part of the focus this off season, with both Dunbar and JL55 starting to get a little long in the tooth there is a need for a deeper talent pool at LB.

I really think everyone knows the Oline is the most glaring need and quite honestly it has been neglected for far too long. I know coach Bou is a great teacher and all that but DAMN can we get the guy some talent to work with instead of old cast offs and 5th round talent. A couple more 1st-3rd round big uglies will make Bradford less of an injury waiting to happen. That JLong screw up in preseason cannot happen again.

Undoubtedly QB is another top priority but there isn't a lot to choose from and I'm not certain how well these coaches evaluate QB talent. Of course that could all change based on the new OC. Which is an even bigger priority which seems to be a development moving at a glacial pace.

Love Harkey but if they decide not to resign him for some reason I think that role now jumps in priority. Our RBs need that hammerhead lead blocker, someone who is not clogging the hole but making one.

And last you can never have enough DBs I'm not thrilled with JJ getting burned every other game for a long TD on a weak ass double move. They can always use another guy there and the talent seems to be deeper there and is one of the things the Rams have been able to do well at evaluating.

Let's get this show on the road!! It can't happen soon enough

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1-QB-Mission Impossible here to be able to remove this top priority from this list. Next year at this time this will be our #1 priority again. Not finding a young strong back up to Bradford the last 3 yrs looks to be Fisher's Official Achilles Heel. Fisher could if he wants too fix the below four needs, best to make do this off season with doing that & look for the future to resolve this QB issue when it become realistically possible in 2016.

#2-ORT-Fisher does not have a ORT under contract. The only possible OL'er under contract is Barrett Jones who has yet to make it through his first complete TC & pre season healthy.

#3-OLG-If Fisher wants Saffold back @ ORG then he does not have a legit OLG on the roster unless you think Travis Bond is the man.

#4-Swing Reserve OT- Since Fisher's arrival he has lost several starting OT's for long period of time....Fisher does not have a swing OT under contract.

#5-Swing reserve OG- Our one & only legit OG under contract is Rodger Saffold. If Saffold was unable to play our ORG would be Travis Bond.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's cool but mine would be
1. Qb
2. RT (not a fan of Barksdale and don't buy Joseph made him bad)
3. G
4. LB
5.CB

I can see people having CB in there, no doubt about it. I would have no issues with that.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane, I think CB is a bigger need than FS. I think we'll draft a TE, who can block. I think versatile OL, who can play OT, and G, would be real important. I think with the way GW runs the defense that OLB may be minimized, but we do need depth at LB...period. We need a Mike more than a Sam, or Will, IMO.

Take care, dude.

Many feel CB is a bigger need and I would make no big fuss on that one. As for a TE who can block, both Harkey and Kendricks can do that and at least one will be back. At LB, I can see you feeling that way at the middle, but the Rams like JL and I don't see him being moved or replaced this year.

Thanks for the well wishes and you take care as well.

STL-Rams

Starter
Good analysis as usual Shane. (y)
That's exactly the order and positions I would have chosen Shane. Let's hope we can fill some of those holes in FA so that we're not so hamstrung during the draft. Are you planning on coming up with some suggestions in both FA and the Draft? I'd love to hear who you like at those positions.
Good to hear from you, Alan. As for your question, yes I am. I will look at free agency first and then delve into some draft stuff after the combine.

STL-Rams

Starter
Good stuff Shane.
I would go a slightly different direction.

1. QB
2. Center
3. Guard
4. LT/RT depth
5. OLB

Good list. Our only big difference would be your inclusion of depth at tackle over my inclusion of FS. Take care, Mojo, and thanks for the kind words.

STL-Rams

Starter
Sorta like Mojo
1. QB
2. Center
3. RT
4. OG
5. WR/OLB

Great read Shane....

Thank you, LA Champ. I appreciate that. As I mentioned in the piece, I can definitely see the point of those aadding WR.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice write up Shane. I think when considering a list like this you have to treat your own UFA's as not part of the roster at that point. So people like Barksdale, Britt, Kendricks all create holes and needs. With that being said, my list is as follows:

1. OL - I'm going to just go generic because quite frankly, we do need a Tackle, Guard, and Center. I agree that a veteran center can be found in FA, whereas replacements at RT and LG would probably be found in the draft. We could also resign Barksdale, and I think people should seriously consider Jake Long for that RT spot. We may not be able to get rid of him until training camp once he is fully recovered, so his money wouldn't help us get any big FAs and we are on the hook for even less next year if he doesn't pan out. Of course, I've maintained that if we go this route we must also draft a RT as insurance. If the RT outperforms J Long, we can simply release him without much hassle.

2. WR - I read your reasoning for keeping WR off your list, and I agree that if we re-sign Britt this isn't much of a need. But since he is a UFA, and because our next best WR has shown to have a steep learning curve when it comes to new offenses and is also coming off a season ending should injury, we definitely have a lot of questions at the position. But again, once Britt is resigned, this completely drops off my board.

3. QB - I put this need third simply because we aren't as needy here as people think. We are essentially looking for a developmental backup with some strong potential that can theoretical start at QB. We are looking at the Hoyers, Smiths, and Cassels of the QB position so we are prepared if Sam can't play.

4. OLB - Now we really only need 2 starting LB positions since TJ and Barron will play as pseudo backers more often. Right now we have 3 starting caliber LBs, but like Shane said, Dunbar is definitely replaceable and getting a younger guy to keep Ogletree on his game might be in the best interest of the team.

5 - CB - We need a more physical corner that can play press coverage. We need a Plan B to Janoris Jenkins in case he can't keep his head on straight during the game. Gaines is a stud, but Tru and Jenkins have a lot of question marks on them. And with our scheme not requiring the skill of a great FS I say that the need at CB trumps the need at FS.

Edit: This was an excellent read Shane. I enjoy reading these articles. Thank you.

Great write up yourself, Jorge. I enjoyed it.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice article, very well done.
I would rate the positional needs as.
1. C
2. LG
3. RT
4. CB
5. LB
I'm thinking the Rams have to rely on Bradford being healthy and then need to start winning now. That means they must score points and that begins with the OL. My 4 and 5 are a toss up. The WR are set as long as they bring Britt back. Britt, Quick, Bailey are one heck on a trio.

Big thanks, Amitar. I truly appreciate the kind comments. Lots of people are listing CB and I have no beefs there.

STL-Rams

Starter
Gonna go against the grain and state I feel anyone who has #1 need at QB will be proven wrong, tho it is the "safe" pick.

We'll see "further down the road"
I don't quite understand what you were saying here, OC. Please forgive me, I just didn't comprehend what you were trying to express. I'm sure that is my fault and I apologize for not catching on.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane good to see you back I could not get into the inside sight for what ever reason I'll try later any who.

LB has got to be part of the focus this off season, with both Dunbar and JL55 starting to get a little long in the tooth there is a need for a deeper talent pool at LB.

I really think everyone knows the Oline is the most glaring need and quite honestly it has been neglected for far too long. I know coach Bou is a great teacher and all that but DAMN can we get the guy some talent to work with instead of old cast offs and 5th round talent. A couple more 1st-3rd round big uglies will make Bradford less of an injury waiting to happen. That JLong screw up in preseason cannot happen again.

Undoubtedly QB is another top priority but there isn't a lot to choose from and I'm not certain how well these coaches evaluate QB talent. Of course that could all change based on the new OC. Which is an even bigger priority which seems to be a development moving at a glacial pace.

Love Harkey but if they decide not to resign him for some reason I think that role now jumps in priority. Our RBs need that hammerhead lead blocker, someone who is not clogging the hole but making one.

And last you can never have enough DBs I'm not thrilled with JJ getting burned every other game for a long TD on a weak ass double move. They can always use another guy there and the talent seems to be deeper there and is one of the things the Rams have been able to do well at evaluating.

Let's get this show on the road!! It can't happen soon enough
There is nothing there that I would disagree with other than perhaps the assertion that the O line has been neglected. The Rams have spent several premium picks on the line in recent years and spent some good money in free agency there, too.

Good to hear from you as well, Blackbart. Sorry for the issues at insidestl. I hope those have been resolved for you.