NEW: Rams Must Solidify QB Position to Contend + 3 Reasons Rams Must Draft QB Early in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Gray: Rams Must Solidify QB Position to Contend in 2015
Shane Gray

Make no mistake, if the St. Louis Rams are to become perennial playoff contenders in the near future -- and they do indeed possess many of the foundation pieces to transition towards that end -- then they must finally solidify the quarterback position.

Former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford, 27, has one year and $16.58 million left on his six year, $78 million rookie contract. Barring the unforeseen circumstance that he and agent Tom Condon are unable to reach an agreement with the Rams to restructure his deal, the quarterback will return to the Rams in 2015 to compete for the starting job in his sixth NFL campaign.

If for some reason the aforementioned parties cannot agree to a re-worked deal, then a potential cut that would clear nearly $13 million in 2015 salary cap space could become a reality.

Regardless of what happens with Bradford, though, it is clear that St. Louis must utilize a premium draft pick -- defined as a round one round through three selection -- on a prospective quarterback of the future.

There are at least three reasons why the Rams must move early to add a quarterback in the 2015 NFL Draft:

(Happy New Year to EVERYONE at ROD! Thanks for all the support! I love this board. I hope you will enjoy the full read via the link below. Again, Happy New Year!):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...-Solidify-QB-Position-to-Contend-in-2015.aspx

FRO

Legend
Who they going to get early in the draft. You going to sell the farm for Winston or Mariota? Doing so leaves you less resources to fix your biggest hole, the offensive line. People will get tired of me reciting this, but in 2011 the Titans, Jaguars, and Vikings all needed QBs. The Titans selected Jake Locker. The very next pick was Tyron Smith. After the Cowboys selected Smith the Jaguars selected Blaine Gabbert. Following the Gabbert pick the Texans selected JJ Watt. The next pick the Vikings selected Christian Ponder. Two picks later the Rams selected Robert Quinn. Now the Titans find themselves picking first in the draft. The Vikings and Jaguars have both since picked first round QBs. It would be nice if there were a legit option for us, there most likely won't be. Unless you are willing to give an RGIII type haul to move to the second or first pick there isn't a QB worthy of a first round pick. Forcing a high QB picks means we will miss out on a Smith/Watt/Quinn type player and end up looking at different QBs in 2-3 years.

The 49ers and Bengals also had QB needs in that same draft. They picked Aldon Smith and AJ Green, getting their QBs in the second round. In a perfect world a QB that is worthy if the 10th pick would be sitting right there waiting for us. But it isn't a perfect world because my alarm clock goes off at 4:30 every morning and I sadly have to work for a living.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sam Bradford being anointed starting QB entering the 2015 season and then being injured again would be devastating to the Rams organization and its fan base. Duh! Having him compete for the position on a reduced contract is fine by me but there'd better be someone who can get the job done just in case.

I would much rather we fortify the O-line through the draft and bring in a veteran QB Like Glennon or Cutler, than spend our draft picks on a QB. Maybe next year or the year after will be a much more QB-rich draft.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And our best QBs in the last 20 years were a 6th rounder and undrafted.
I'd be OK with Hundley, (in the 2nd) and although a huge UCLA fan, think he'd still be a reach even there.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Sam Bradford being anointed starting QB entering the 2015 season and then being injured again would be devastating to the Rams organization and its fan base. Duh! Having him compete for the position on a reduced contract is fine by me but there'd better be someone who can get the job done just in case.

I would much rather we fortify the O-line through the draft and bring in a veteran QB Like Glennon or Cutler, than spend our draft picks on a QB. Maybe next year or the year after will be a much more QB-rich draft.

Right.

It's time to play the Patriots for a couple of years and stock pile picks. Trade back, trade back, trade back. Fill more holes, and get some quality depth. Too many people get hurt to put all your eggs in ANY basket.

I wouldn't target any QB in the first. Maybe in the second when some quality guys may still be available. But i'm not reaching at all.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Who they going to get early in the draft. You going to sell the farm for Winston or Mariota? Doing so leaves you less resources to fix your biggest hole, the offensive line. People will get tired of me reciting this, but in 2011 the Titans, Jaguars, and Vikings all needed QBs. The Titans selected Jake Locker. The very next pick was Tyron Smith. After the Cowboys selected Smith the Jaguars selected Blaine Gabbert. Following the Gabbert pick the Texans selected JJ Watt. The next pick the Vikings selected Christian Ponder. Two picks later the Rams selected Robert Quinn. Now the Titans find themselves picking first in the draft. The Vikings and Jaguars have both since picked first round QBs. It would be nice if there were a legit option for us, there most likely won't be. Unless you are willing to give an RGIII type haul to move to the second or first pick there isn't a QB worthy of a first round pick. Forcing a high QB picks means we will miss out on a Smith/Watt/Quinn type player and end up looking at different QBs in 2-3 years.

The 49ers and Bengals also had QB needs in that same draft. They picked Aldon Smith and AJ Green, getting their QBs in the second round. In a perfect world a QB that is worthy if the 10th pick would be sitting right there waiting for us. But it isn't a perfect world because my alarm clock goes off at 4:30 every morning and I sadly have to work for a living.
I want to be with you, but at the same time a case can be made either direction.
The Jets and Bills both had pretty solid lines in place before investing in their QBs. Where are they now?
The 49ers have probably the best offensive line in the NFL on paper, and they have Colin Kaepernick to show for it. He's regressed every season to the point now where many wonder if he'll survive the regime change.
I'm honestly torn. I want to see the Rams beef up that line. I think it's smart. But if they sent a couple picks to get Cutler, or if Winston were to somehow drop in their laps at 10 and they took him, I'd have a hard time arguing that.
Fortune does favor the bold.

FRO

Legend
I want to be with you, but at the same time a case can be made either direction.
The Jets and Bills both had pretty solid lines in place before investing in their QBs. Where are they now?
The 49ers have probably the best offensive line in the NFL on paper, and they have Colin Kaepernick to show for it. He's regressed every season to the point now where many wonder if he'll survive the regime change.
I'm honestly torn. I want to see the Rams beef up that line. I think it's smart. But if they sent a couple picks to get Cutler, or if Winston were to somehow drop in their laps at 10 and they took him, I'd have a hard time arguing that.
Fortune does favor the bold.
Three bold moves that included a lot of draft picks:
Hershal Walker
Ricky Williams
RGIII

Those moves didn't benefit the recipients of those players.

You have to deal with reality. The Bears will probably keep Cutler, they have to play somebody at QB too. Mariota and Winston won't be there at 10, giving what it would take to trade up would ruin any chance of building the rest of the team. So what do you do force the pick of Hundley at 10?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we use an early pick on a QB, we better be damn confident the kid can play.

You get past the first round and the chances of finding more than a backup is better served to a roulette wheel. So put me in the camp it's a QB with our first or none until late.

Besides, we are not deep enough to afford "just in case" picks. We need to hit on some olinemen and I'd argue linebacker is also a priority.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Hershal Walker
Ricky Williams
RGIII

You have to deal with reality. The Bears will probably keep Cutler, they have to play somebody at QB too. Mariota and Winston won't be there at 10, giving what it would take to trade up would ruin any chance of building the rest of the team. So what do you do force the pick of Hundley at 10?
Nah, Hundley is completely out of the discussion in the first round, for me anyway. I guess fans thought the same about Ponder though. If you just jinxed the draft... :sick:
And really I have a hard time believing the 'Skins wouldn't have had a much better 2013 if not for RGIII's knee injury/Shannahan's poor judgement.

The other two are pretty inexcusable. Ricky's the shit though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hershal Walker
Ricky Williams
RGIII

You could even add the Dickerson trade in there too. Indy didn't really move up or down the food chain after that trade.

FRO

Legend
Nah, Hundley is completely out of the discussion in the first round, for me anyway. I guess fans thought the same about Ponder though. If you just jinxed the draft... :sick:
And really I have a hard time believing the 'Skins wouldn't have had a much better 2013 if not for RGIII's knee injury/Shannahan's poor judgement.

The other two are pretty inexcusable. Ricky's the crap though.
They would have been better off standing pat and drafting Ryan Tannehill, the guy Shanahan wanted, over moving heaven and earth for one guy. I would rather get a Glennon or Cousins via trade, get a Hundley in the second or Grayson in the third than compromise the team by selling the farm for one guy. You don't know if Mariota can play the NFL style of game and we don't know if Winston can grow up off the field.

lockdnram21

Legend
Hershal Walker
Ricky Williams
RGIII

What if we fixed the line in free agency. Sat we got top G and C then would u trade up

FRO

Legend
What if we fixed the line in free agency. Sat we got top G and C then would u trade up
How do you afford to retain your young talent going forward when you overpay for free agent offensive linemen? What do you do next year without a first round pick and holes to fill?

lockdnram21

Legend
How do you afford to retain your young talent going forward when you overpay for free agent offensive linemen? What do you do next year without a first round pick and holes to fill?
You gotta take Chances sometimes. I still think we end up with Mariota or winston

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Hershal Walker
Ricky Williams
RGIII

I'd probably quit watching football.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to weigh the risk reward of a move. You can't sell the farm for one player. It doesn't work.

If you hit on the QB it would work. The position is that important IMO.