New planet "earth like"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know...

I believe there is life out there. I am doubtful they have been here, but it is amazing to think about.
It really is.
There is so much out there to discover. So much more that we will never discover, because it's just too darn far away.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It really is.
There is so much out there to discover. So much more that we will never discover, because it's just too darn far away.

This particular planet is 1400 light years.

Seriously.

Light years.

It's a massive space with amazing possibilities. But, yeah, we can't get there with today's technology.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's awesome. I wish they had a good view of it though.
Most of these observations are merely calculations. Just straight up math.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
iPads suck ...................just say'n

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Heard this on the radio today. The planet is bigger than earth and about a billion and a half years older. A year there is 385 days or so. Fascinating stuff indeed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Heard this on the radio today. The planet is bigger than earth and about a billion and a half years older. A year there is 385 days or so. Fascinating stuff indeed.
My Kepler age is only 44 yrs old, instead of 46.5 here on earth.

From now on I'm using my Kepler age. It's not lying if the person asking, doesn't specify the planet.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was born in the wrong era. The space exploration thousands of light years away would be my period. So lame.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iPads suck ...................just say'n

Thread hack :sneaky:

My company issues iPhone. So I have to carry one and while I used to carry a Galaxy Note for personal use the iPhone is now big enough for my taste in size.

While I love a lot of non Apple tablets, the common platform between phone and tablet has advantages.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would love to be able to explore such a thing when the time finally came, 100 years from now. Imagine being part of something so great

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This particular planet is 1400 light years.

Seriously.

Light years.

It's a massive space with amazing possibilities. But, yeah, we can't get there with today's technology.

That's only 8,211,974,000,000,000 miles. What's the big deal?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
True. That's only 329,784,908,237 trips around the earth.

I've made that trip a couple times

image.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
The planet is very interesting, and probably gives us a good look on how life on Earth will be in the future. Assuming it is indeed a terrestrial planet and not a gas one. We're about 49-62% sure it's a rocky Earth like planet though. Which if it is, there's a pretty good chance it has a solid atmosphere and perhaps even active volcanoes. The planet itself is a little older, about 6±2 Gyr, (billion years), similar to the estimated age of its parent star. We expect it to remain in the habitable zone for another 3 Gyr.

Due to the star being older and slightly bigger, the energy being put out by it is quite a bit different, about 10% more to be exact, as the star is nearing the end of its time on the main sequence. That significantly lowers the chance of habitability of the planet, because it could mean runaway greenhouse gasses, similar to what has happened to Venus. If that's the case then we wouldn't really be able to live on there if we could travel there. The strength of the gravity (about twice as much as Earth) would allow the planet to hold onto water longer though. If the runaway greenhouse gasses were starting, we likely wouldn't see oceans, but rather pockets water that are highly concentrated in minerals, before they eventually completely evaporate.

However what is more interesting to us is that this planet could give us a look into how conditions of Earth will change as our sun ages. We know that the energy output of the sun will change, exactly what that does to us we aren't sure. If we did find out there was life or anything like that, it would be a happy coincidence.

If there was life they would potentially be a billion years more advanced than us (somewhat scary thought), and they should know our planet is here. Assuming of course they advanced past the great filter (if we're to follow the Fermi paradox) in the first place.

Kepler 452b is an interesting planet to observe though, while it's probably not going to result in us confirming life (although that would be very cool) it's the closest planet to Earth we have found. With the new James Webb telescope being set to launch late 2018, we'll be able to get much more data on these planets though. The good news is also that we're starting to find more of the smaller planets, instead of the larger gas planets, as our understanding and technology improves. Obviously the smaller the planet the harder to find.