New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Take from this what you will...but Randy is getting his info from the same source that told him in May that there were plans for a Riverfront Stadium in St. Louis...and also in August that Stan was planning an LA stadium and potential move.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Person with direct knowledge of STL stadium pursuit-STL/NFL talks...&quot;Despite articles, things are actually going very well.&quot;</p>&mdash; Randy Karraker (@RandyKarraker) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/RandyKarraker/status/561387664474394624
">January 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Take from this what you will...but Randy is getting his info from the same source that told him in May that there were plans for a Riverfront Stadium in St. Louis...and also in August that Stan was planning an LA stadium and potential move.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Person with direct knowledge of STL stadium pursuit-STL/NFL talks...&quot;Despite articles, things are actually going very well.&quot;</p>&mdash; Randy Karraker (@RandyKarraker) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/RandyKarraker/status/561387664474394624
">January 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's pretty encouraging, Randy's sources are normally legit.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Personally, I don't like having to scroll down through a bunch of responses that quote some long post or article. Pull the section you want to respond to and quote it. Then you can see the specific text to which you are responding. Seems seriously clean and precise.
At least it's better on this board than it is a lot of other boards because this board auto-contracts long quotes and you have to click on it to see the whole thing.

On other boards, yeah, that's pretty annoying. Especially when the long post being quoted is the OP of a post, which one would assume you are replying to anyway.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I don't know if this has been asked here before or not.. But with everything pointing to Stan leaving, and to me I believe he is because of his not talking to anyone in St. Louis, but talking to many in Inglewood, why can't the folks who run the Dome just not renew "Stans" lease there?

To me, with Stan not talking to any local or state leaders, but talking to Inglewood, he's playing hardball. Why can't that be a 2 way street? It's not that I'm advocating it, but just asking. Throw Stanley out on his arse and make him scramble for a place to play out in LA with short notice? Imho the moving vans have been fired up.. This would make Stanley have to scramble them.. :cool: Probably wouldn't work though.. Just thinking out loud.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
why can't the folks who run the Dome just not renew "Stans" lease there?
Because it is not in the contract that way. Like it or not, the CVC entered into a pretty one sided contract trying to get any team they could in to play in the Dome. It was Stan's option to renew, extend, or go month to month - not the CVC.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, I get it. But he's also got this persona that he's a shrewd business man. Most businesses, regardless of how much they are worth, would commit to paying someone a quarter million dollars if they had no intention of going through with the use of the service or good.

The Rams/Stan have already let St. Louis in on the fact they are looking at moving, just what exactly would be the purpose of committing to the CVC for 2015 if they are planning on leaving before then? Just a $250,000 parting gift?

I agree that I don't think he's going to do that, I was just commenting that by comparison its not very much money to him. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see a scenario where the Rams don't play in St Louis next year. 2016 is the year I think they either pack up or announce they're staying. Unless there is a significant snag in the LA plan, I would imagine the time table is to announce and move next year, unless St Louis puts together a really strong proposal, and even then I'm not sure if it's enough for Stan unless the city willingly bends over for him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't know if this has been asked here before or not.. But with everything pointing to Stan leaving, and to me I believe he is because of his not talking to anyone in St. Louis, but talking to many in Inglewood, why can't the folks who run the Dome just not renew "Stans" lease there?

To me, with Stan not talking to any local or state leaders, but talking to Inglewood, he's playing hardball. Why can't that be a 2 way street? It's not that I'm advocating it, but just asking. Throw Stanley out on his arse and make him scramble for a place to play out in LA with short notice? Imho the moving vans have been fired up.. This would make Stanley have to scramble them.. :cool: Probably wouldn't work though.. Just thinking out loud.

He would just go to the Rose Bowl most likely. I don't think there would be much of a scramble.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stadium-649818-grubman-louis.html

Multiple NFL teams expressing interest in a move to L.A.

Jan. 30, 2015
Updated Jan. 31, 2015 1:07 p.m.
BY SCOTT M. REID / STAFF WRITER

PHOENIX – NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman has been a regular at Hollywood Park in recent years.

Grubman hasn’t been playing the ponies but rather scouting for a different type of bet, gauging whether the site of the soon to be demolished horse track is the place for the NFL to re-stake its claim in the nation’s second-largest market.

"I’ve looked at the Hollywood site very carefully," Grubman said. "Yes, I’ve made a number of visits to Hollywood Park unannounced. I don’t think anyone knew I was there except a cabby who didn’t know who I was."

Grubman and league officials aren’t alone in the NFL in taking a hard look at Hollywood Park and the Los Angeles-Orange County market.

Multiple NFL teams in addition to the St. Louis Rams continue to express to league officials and owners interest in relocating to Los Angeles, Grubman, the NFL’s point man on the Los Angeles issue, said Friday.

Grubman also confirmed that Rams owner Stan Kroenke informed the league and its owners of his plans to build a stadium at Hollywood Park long before briefing owners in more detail during a December league meeting.

"All of the owners of clubs that are interested in relocation, whether it’s the Los Angeles market or anything else, specific guidance was given to the Los Angeles market," Grubman said. "Anyone who has serious interest in that and was going to take steps to sort of prove up or advance their chances had a requirement to keep the league informed and to my knowledge multiple clubs have kept us informed, including the Rams."

While Grubman declined to name the other franchises that have expressed an interest in relocating, the Raiders and Chargers, each with stadium issues in their current markets, are the most likely candidates. Raiders owner Mark Davis joined forces with an investment firm and entertainment company last September in an attempt to raise $200 million to purchase the Hollywood Park site, according to documents circulated with Los Angeles financial and investment firms.

Yet while NFL officials continue to talk to franchises about their interest in moving to Southern California, both Grubman and commissioner Roger Goodell emphasized that the league’s top priority is keeping teams in their current cities if those franchises can remain financially healthy in those markets.

"My concern is to do everything possible to satisfy the league’s obligations to keep a team healthy in its market," Grubman said. "And it’s much easier to keep the team you have than to get a team you don’t have, and St. Louis has the Rams so we’re in there working pretty hard with them to see if we can put a deal together that makes sense."

But whether the Rams remain in St. Louis or relocate to Inglewood, Grubman said the league is determined to have the uncertainty surrounding the stadium issues in St. Louis and other NFL markets as well as Los Angeles resolved by the next Super Bowl.

"I hope not," Grubman said when asked if he expected to be having the same conversations a year from now. "I think it’s possible, but the reason I said so quickly with a smile on my face is that whether or not we relocate this year is a different question to whether or not we’re going to stand still for a year. We should be in a very different place a year from now and talking about whatever those dynamics are. Things are not going to stand still. I just don’t know how it’s going to unfold."

Yet both Grubman and Goodell hinted that time might be running out for San Diego to hold onto the Chargers.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer announced Friday that he has appointed a nine-member task force to find a location to build a new stadium for the Chargers. The group, Faulconer said, will develop a "real, tangible plan for a new stadium" to be put to San Diego voters in 2016. Faulconer’s announcement is the latest in a series of moves by San Diego officials over more than a decade to find a replacement for Qualcomm Stadium, the Chargers’ home since 1967.

While San Diego city officials announced the formation of a task force to look at the Chargers’ stadium situation, Goodell in particular seemed to be running out of patience.

"(Chargers owner) Dean (Spanos) and his family have worked for 10 to 12 years trying to get a new stadium," Goodell said during a news conference Friday. "They do need a new stadium for the Chargers to be successful there long-term. It’s one of the oldest stadiums in the league, if not the oldest. And we need that for the fans also. It’s important to the franchise so they remain competitive but it’s also important to the fans because fans expect those amenities now. So it’s something we’ll continue to work.

"I’m glad to hear (the mayor has a) task force going but they’ve been working at this for 12 years. And it’s something we need to see tangible results sooner rather than later."

Grubman, however, dismissed a belief expressed by some Chargers officials that the franchise has a claim to the Los Angeles-Orange County market. A quarter of the Chargers’ season ticket base comes from Los Angeles and Orange counties and the Inland Empire. Some NFL officials and owners believe Spanos has enough votes among his fellow owners to block the Rams or any other team moving into Southern California.

"No," Grubman said when asked if the Chargers have a claim to the Los Angeles-Orange County market. "There’s no claim to my knowledge. In fact the league litigated that. All of the owners have expressed a very clear point of view in multiple league meetings that that’s a league asset, and if any club or clubs can occupy it’s going to be subject a vote."

Speculation about the possibility of two teams relocating to Los Angeles was further flamed by a Hollywood Park Land Company announcement earlier this month that they plan to build a $2 billion, 80,000-seat stadium in Inglewood that would be ready for the 2018 NFL season. The stadium would be built on 60 acres between Hollywood Park and the Forum owned by Kroenke. The Kroenke Group is one of the HPLD partners.

Rams officials also informed the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission this week that they will convert their lease for the Edward Jones Domes to a year-by-year agreement, enabling the team to relocate after the 2015 season if Kroenke is able to secure approval from three-quarters of the league’s 32 owners.

A task force appointed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon also revealed this month plans for a nearly $1 billion, 64,000-seat downtown St. Louis stadium.

The St. Louis plan calls for between $460-535 million of the new stadium’s cost to come from extending current bonds on the Edward Jones Dome and tax credits. Between $400-450 million would be paid by the NFL and the Rams, with the remaining $130 million coming from seat licenses.

"There’s no line in the sand but you sort of see the logical steps being put together with the looking at Los Angeles and there were many sites, but you couldn’t put together a deal that made sense financially," Grubman said. "We got a longterm labor deal done. We got longterm broadcast contracts that de-risk some of the broadcast aspects and some additional sites have either changed hands or otherwise gotten themselves into the position where they could be viable. So the next catalyst is: Does something fall into the control of either the league or one of its member clubs? If that happens, then somebody’s making progress and it increases the likelihood that something can happen. That’s really as far as I can go without speculating and something has happened that’s different and control of a piece of real estate has come into the hands of somebody inside the NFL family."

Goodell and Grubman, however, said they believe St. Louis is still a viable NFL market with a new stadium.

"We want all our franchises to stay in their current markets," Goodell said. "That’s a shared responsibility. That’s something we all have to work together on. The league has programs. including stadium funding programs that we’ve made available. And we will work and have worked with communities including St. Louis. We also will make sure that we’re engaging the business community, the public sector, in a way that can help us lead to solutions and make sure it works for the community as well as the team."

Grubman has been actively involved in discussions with St. Louis and Missouri officials about their plans for a new stadium. "I think St. Louis has demonstrated over a long period of years, decades that it’s a wonderful sports market and a terrific business market. From a regional standpoint there’s a lot of American culture there that’s very, very strong. So they still have to put all the pieces together as they did 20 years ago.

"They still have to put those pieces together and they know that. But they don’t have to do it all. They have a role, the leadership has a role, the fans have a role, the business community has a role, the league has a role, the team has a role. Everybody’s got to carry their load and that’s what is being looked at. And it’s not easy to do and I think the only unfortunate thing is how long it took before the serious efforts started to come together."

Grubman said there’s no reason to formally measure whether a team has satisfied what’s required to be allowed to move, or whether a city has done what it needs to to keep the team, until the team applies for relocation, which the Rams have not.

"Now we don’t have our heads in the sand, we’re looking at this, we’re analyzing it," he said. "We’re talking to the community and the leadership and we’re talking to in this case the Rams. So there shouldn’t be any surprises, but the measurement hasn’t been made, and by the way I’m not the measurement arm. The owners are the measurement arm through their votes."

The Rams were able to opt out their lease after the 2014 season because of a trigger clause in the 30-year agreement the team signed when it relocated from Anaheim in 1995. The "first tier" clause in the lease requires the dome be among the top 25 percent of NFL stadiums, a standard the venue has failed to meet.

Negotiations between the Rams and the St. Louis commission over upgrades for the dome broke down in the last year. The commission proposed $200 million in improvements and asked the Rams to pay half the bill. The Rams’ countered with a larger scale plan that included a sliding roof, a proposal that some commission and city officials said came with a $700 million price tag. The commission rejected the Rams’ plan.

But critics in St. Louis charge that in refusing to meet with the Nixon-appointed stadium task force and other Missouri and St. Louis officials, Kroenke has violated standards and guidelines set by the NFL before the league would consider approving relocation. Kroenke’s refusal to meet with local officials and the revealing of the Hollywood Park stadium plans, critics claim, are proof of the Rams owner’s attempts to undercut public support in the case of a election on funding for the proposed St. Louis stadium, enabling him to move the team to Inglewood. Kroenke, his growing number of critics in St. Louis insist, has already made up his mind to head west.

"I’m not going to speak for Stan or the Rams, the club or the owner, so you should ask him that question on whether he’s made up his mind," Grubman. "I think that’s speculative. My concern is not what people might do in the future."

"Stan has been working on the stadium issue in St. Louis for several years," Goodell said. "They’ve had a very formal process as part of their lease. That process, they went through that entire process. It did not result in a solution that either works for St. Louis or the team. So I don’t think the stadium is a surprise to anybody in any market that is having these issues. There’s been quite a bit of discussion about it and St. Louis representatives seem determined to build a stadium. That’s a positive development something we look forward to working with them."

Grubman said the Anschutz Entertainment Group’s plans for Farmers Field, a downtown stadium adjacent to Staples Center, also remains on the table. AEG last year received a six-month extension from the Los Angeles City Council last year, giving the company until March to secure a team for the stadium.

"The AEG site is viable," Grubman said. "We have not and don’t play anything out publicly, but we were aware of their desire to extend their exclusivity and we talked to them before they did extend it, and so they have the opportunity to attract a team or teams."

Contact the writer: sreid@ocregister.com

Boffo97

Name
Dave

Because it is not in the contract that way. Like it or not, the CVC entered into a pretty one sided contract trying to get any team they could in to play in the Dome. It was Stan's option to renew, extend, or go month to month - not the CVC.
Yeah... that "top tier" clause was always going to be a huge problem. I even read somewhere that St. Louis brought anti-trust charges against the League basically saying they HAD to offer the Rams "fire sale" terms or they'd never get them (and they had a good point there.)

But now that that top tier clause is not met, the Rams have unilateral power over the lease. They could go year to year until 2025, or break it at any time (at least one opportunity to do so per year) and the CVC has no say.

RamBill

Legend
NFL not ready to name front-runner in possible relocation to L.A.
By Sam Farmer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-super-bowl-notes-20150131-story.html

Even though St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, the league's second-richest owner to Seattle's Paul Allen, has announced plans for an 80,000-seat football stadium in Hollywood Park, and has the financial and political wherewithal to get it done, the NFL is not ready to name a lead horse in the Los Angeles derby.

In his annual Super Bowl news conference, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday that the league is not at the point to handicap which team or teams might wind up in the nation's second-largest market. The Rams, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders are all on year-to-year leases, unhappy with their current venues and mulling possible relocation to L.A.

"There have been no determinations of us going to Los Angeles, any particular team going to Los Angeles, or going to any particular stadium," Goodell said. "We have several alternatives that we're evaluating, both from a site standpoint, there are teams that are interested but are trying to work their issues out locally, and so as a league we haven't gotten to that stage yet.

"It will all be subject to our relocation policy. There are requirements in that policy, particularly as it relates to cooperation and working to make sure they solve the issues in their local market. But I'm confident all of that will be covered within the relocation policy and with our membership approval."

Asked what the league was prepared to do if an owner decided to go rogue and move without league approval — as has been suggested of Kroenke — Goodell said: "The ownership takes very seriously the obligation to vote on any serious matter, including relocation of a franchise."

Regardless, the league does not have a good track record of stopping an owner who is determined to move. About the only time that has happened in recent memory is when then-owner Ken Behring moved the Seahawks to Anaheim for a week in 1996, but promptly whipped a U-turn when then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue threatened to impose a hefty fine on the club.

Goodell said the NFL has not made a determination of whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs in the AFC championship game against Indianapolis, and declined to "engage in speculation" that might compromise the ongoing investigation.

"We take seriously anything that potentially impacts the integrity of the game," said Goodell, who did not have an answer as to whether, prior to the game in question, the league had ever tested the air pressure in footballs during a game.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft did not attend the news conference, although he usually does. At the start of the week, he requested an apology from the league if it could not definitively prove the Patriots tampered with the footballs in the AFC title game.

Asked about that apology request, Goodell said: "This is my job. This is my responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. I represent 32 teams. All of us want to make sure the rules are being followed, and if we had any information where the potential is that those rules were violated, I have to pursue that, and I have to pursue that aggressively."

The league will create a position of chief medical officer who will have oversight on all NFL health policies. The executive, who is expected to be appointed in the coming months, will work with the league's medical committees, advisers and the NFL Players Assn.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

So you're telling me the CVC is stuck with the lease through what is it? 2025? I mean if Stanley wanted to stay there on a year to year contract? Man this country is crazy, not to mention politicians and the like. That's just bad business on their part. The out clause in the lease for Stanley was worse, but this is still bad.

Thanks 503, I didn't realize that. You know what they say about contracts though.. :cool:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
He would just go to the Rose Bowl most likely. I don't think there would be much of a scramble.

Yeah you would think someone like Stan would have a plan B to everything. I was thinking that after posting, but with what 503 and Boffo has stated it's all irrelevant.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Yeah... that "top tier" clause was always going to be a huge problem. I even read somewhere that St. Louis brought anti-trust charges against the League basically saying they HAD to offer the Rams "fire sale" terms or they'd never get them (and they had a good point there.)

But now that that top tier clause is not met, the Rams have unilateral power over the lease. They could go year to year until 2025, or break it at any time (at least one opportunity to do so per year) and the CVC has no say.

Just simply amazing.. As a good friend of mine says.. Just blow the whole thing up and start all over (politicians and etc). I smell a rat here so to speak.. Someone needs to do some digging and make this stuff more public. Once a lease is up, no one should have unilateral power over it. That's crazy. Just saying. :cool:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just simply amazing.. As a good friend of mine says.. Just blow the whole thing up and start all over (politicians and etc). I smell a rat here so to speak.. Someone needs to do some digging and make this stuff more public. Once a lease is up, no one should have unilateral power over it. That's crazy. Just saying. :cool:
In certain ways I understand it, because basically if St. Louis didn't offer such a one sided ridiculous contract, they wouldn't get a team.

But one legal distinction: The lease is not "up". It just converted to year to year with the Rams having unilateral power because the CVC failed to meet its side of the lease (even if there was practical way to do so.) The CVC signed the thing knowing full well this could and probably eventually would happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You know what they say about contracts though.. :cool:
I think you are confusing contracts with rules if you are going where I think you are.

But yeah - they're pretty much stuck with whatever Stan wants to do. And no - I've never heard of that much of a one sided lease. Georgia and Shaw had been plotting for years and as sad as it is, St Louis and the Dome fell right in their laps. Personally, I always felt it was a serious conflict of interest with Shaw being part of the NFL stadium committee while he and Georgia were plotting to move the team. I think St Louis paid the price while the NFL skated yet again and Georgia got a sweetheart deal so she could keep up her globe trotting and man in every port lifestyle.

It may seem harsh but this is one fan that rejoiced when Georgia passed and Shaw was jettisoned from the team. I don't ever wish for someone to die but when it happened, I felt it was the best thing that could have ever happened for my Rams.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I think you are confusing contracts with rules if you are going where I think you are.

Around this area, I've always heard contracts are meant to be broken.. I know the same is said for rules, but I've heard it use more to the contract side.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Around this area, I've always heard contracts are meant to be broken.. I know the same is said for rules, but I've heard it use more to the contract side.
Yeah, but what would breaking the contract do for the CVC's benefit, since that seems to be where you're going with that?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

I heard a rumor this week that Pat Haden, the AD at USC, has been contacted regarding the Colluseum being used as temporary home for the Rams. If so, Stan may have 2 venues to choose from.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you're telling me the CVC is stuck with the lease through what is it? 2025? I mean if Stanley wanted to stay there on a year to year contract? Man this country is crazy, not to mention politicians and the like. That's just bad business on their part. The out clause in the lease for Stanley was worse, but this is still bad.

Thanks 503, I didn't realize that. You know what they say about contracts though.. :cool:
Well if you look at it with the CVC being the landlord and the Rams the tenant, I think it will paint a more logical picture. When a business is out on its ear because the landlord doesnt have to renew, we say wow that's bad business. When the contract is written to protect the business, I think thats good business. As long as they are meeting their financial obligations. Which makes me wonder, with the Rams going year to year, does it cost the Rams more money? Does the CVC gain revenue?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Well if you look at it with the CVC being the landlord and the Rams the tenant, I think it will paint a more logical picture. When a business is out on its ear because the landlord doesnt have to renew, we say wow that's bad business. When the contract is written to protect the business, I think thats good business. As long as they are meeting their financial obligations. Which makes me wonder, with the Rams going year to year, does it cost the Rams more money? Does the CVC gain revenue?
From the way I understand it, no. There is no monetary benefit to the CVC in the Rams choosing to go year-to-year on the lease since it's basically a penalty clause for the CVC because they failed to meet the "top tier" requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.