New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
1/31 is bigger than 1/32.

The NFL could still move into LA with another team.

If they wanted a 32nd team, they could always expand - there would be potential owners lining up left and right.

As for lawsuits, it depends on the existing contract in place. If the NFL votes to block Stan, and he goes anyway - then the bush league thing to do would be to roll over and take it.

Stan would be taking a risk that his franchise goes from cash cow to a big heaping pile of nothing.

I can't imagine that the headache that would go with eliminating an entire franchise would be something worthwhile to the NFL. Especially when while Stan might be acting like a dick just moving without permission and telling the Raiders, Chargers, and NFL to piss off, he would still likely make them billions of dollars. Especially if he does help the Raiders and Chargers out in their home markets.

They could spin Stan moving on his own a little, they did it when the moved to St Louis even though they weren't happy about it. Kicking out a team for moving on their own and fighting them in court that would cost them millions and take years, plus losing all that history, the fanbase that's already been established, it's just a huge headache.

Unfortunately if Kroenke moves without permission, I think the NFL would have little choice but to take it. They'd be pissed, but I think they'd take it. Just like they did with Al Davis.

MrMotes

Starter
Let's not forget, no approval for move, no relocation fee. I just can't see the owners voting themselves out of that kind of money, if it comes to that...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unfortunately if Kroenke moves without permission, I think the NFL would have little choice but to take it. They'd be pissed, but I think they'd take it. Just like they did with Al Davis.

IMO, he could go either way!
images
upload_2015-7-6_22-21-41.jpeg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The NFL would never pull a team out of the schedule because they would lose big time in court and they know it. Davis knew he'd win, because the league effectively has a monopoly and no real right to force owners to play where they don't want to play. This is what Jerry Jones alluded to earlier this year when he said owners could do what they want.

Sure, Stan is playing nice. Right now. But give him a vote he doesn't like, that is going to cost him millions lost in franchise value and see what happens. Stan is not the kind of guy to be pushed around, he will lawyer up if he needs to because he's got the pockets to buy the whole thing no probs in LA.

The cost to him wouldn't be money he actually had yet. Just anticipated value. The NFL can't stop him from playing where he wants, true. But they can stop paying TV money and charge a fortune in relocation fees. So of you factor in $2 billion in stadium costs, plus loss of tv revenue, plus relocation fees, plus cost of court proceedings, the price would actually be pretty steep. The Rams additional value possibly wouldn't be worth that. If I spend 30,000 to upgrade my house and it only raises the value of the house 30,000, have I really gained anything? I've lost available cash for the promise of the same amount of cash later down the road. I
think it's a mistake to assume that because Stan is a billionaire that means he will just keep throwing money until he gets what he wants, and I think it's a mistake to assume that the other rich men involved in this won't fight just as hard to get this supposed promise land as well.

The other thing to consider is whether or not he's doing this for a legacy. His ego. Nobody wants to be Al Davis, which is how he'll be viewed if he goes really rogue.

This is only if he loses out to Carson. There's still a better than the other guy chance his project wins legitimately anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Call me naïve but I still have this inkling that Stan keeps the team in St Louis after they work something out that suits both sides. I don't think the NFL allows the Raiduhs to move without SD being in the picture. I think OAK will need the NFL's help in whatever they do.

I realize none of this makes sense but I'm just thinking with my gut here and not what my head would otherwise tell me. Stan has done really nothing of substance in a potential move to CA. He bought land that will turn out to be quite valuable with the re-invented Forum and the rest of the Hollywood Park project. Hell, he may make more money doing something else that is not a stadium.

I'm still hedging on some comments that KD made as well as the native son angle and the work done to bring the Rams to the Lou. If you harken back to KD's prophetic words that it is going to get uglier - very ugly before it is all done along with his giving input on the stadium and complimenting Peacock/Blitz on their work as well as the progress on improving the stadium concept from the initial pictures we all saw. Combine those things with the FACT (and it may be the only fact I can lean on here) that no one from the Rams organization has said one bad word about the Governor, Peacock/Blitz, the stadium plans, etc...

I'm just thinking something gets done to keep the Rams in St Louis.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Combine those things with the FACT (and it may be the only fact I can lean on here) that no one from the Rams organization has said one bad word about the Governor, Peacock/Blitz, the stadium plans, etc...

Yes, this is true. And, it reminds me that Georgia and John Shaw didn't say anything bad about Anaheim mayor Tom Daly, the city coucil members, or Gene Autry and his wife (Angel baseball team owners) before they moved in 1995 either.

rick6fan

UDFA
I don't see a way this doesn't end with Stan getting what he wants. He's a business man on a level the other two considering moving to LA can only hope to be. The NFL is better off with him leading the restart there.

You very well may be right. But as of right now, we don't KNOW anything about what Stan wants. All we know is what we perceive based upon our observations. Who saw the last second jump in and buy the Rams out from under Kahn gambit coming? I think he likes keeping people guessing.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That or Denver. Honestly I don't know if that would factor in.. Honestly if I was him and someone were to say that I'd probably reply something along the lines of LA county having almost twice as many people as the state of Missouri, so while they might hate me, I'll have plenty who'll love me. I think he's long moved past statehood loyalty.
Got to love men of integrity, huh?

If counting his money in front of a mirror in L.A. makes him feel any better about himself as a human being and what he promised to the people of St. Louis and Missouri, more power to him.

Had he never uttered those words when he took control of the franchise, I'd have no problem with where he appears to be headed. But, once those words came flying out of his normally tight lipped mouth, he created an obligation to the city and state in my opinion.

My father used to say (and I live by this)... "my word is my bond". Looks like Kroenke specializes in junk bonds.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me naïve but I still have this inkling that Stan keeps the team in St Louis after they work something out that suits both sides. I don't think the NFL allows the Raiduhs to move without SD being in the picture. I think OAK will need the NFL's help in whatever they do.

I realize none of this makes sense but I'm just thinking with my gut here and not what my head would otherwise tell me. Stan has done really nothing of substance in a potential move to CA. He bought land that will turn out to be quite valuable with the re-invented Forum and the rest of the Hollywood Park project. Hell, he may make more money doing something else that is not a stadium.

I'm still hedging on some comments that KD made as well as the native son angle and the work done to bring the Rams to the Lou. If you harken back to KD's prophetic words that it is going to get uglier - very ugly before it is all done along with his giving input on the stadium and complimenting Peacock/Blitz on their work as well as the progress on improving the stadium concept from the initial pictures we all saw. Combine those things with the FACT (and it may be the only fact I can lean on here) that no one from the Rams organization has said one bad word about the Governor, Peacock/Blitz, the stadium plans, etc...

I'm just thinking something gets done to keep the Rams in St Louis.
This is how I've been feeling lately as well.

No logic... no ulterior motive scenarios, no "it's only about money... no conscience involved"... just a gut feeling.

If he is a man of integrity, he'll do what he said he'd do... not do an about face just because it makes him more money... but just because that's what he said.

I haven't looked, but I suspect revenues and income have remained at the same or perhaps better levels since he said those words. So, if that is true, then it is all about money... and Kroenke has to live with the fact he lied to a city and state.

I'm sure some will say he'll sleep just fine... they paint him as a machine with no feelings or emotions. Maybe he is. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the man.

fearsomefour

Legend
Stan would be taking a risk that his franchise goes from cash cow to a big heaping pile of nothing.
According to Forbes in August 2014 the Rams were rated dead last in team value and had just over $16 Million in operating income. By comparison the Buffalo Bills, the team ranked right above the Rams, had an operating income of $36 Million. The Cowboys, the most valued team, had operating income of over $124 Million dollars.
The Rams a cash cow? No.
Compared to the other owners Stan is failing.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is how I've been feeling lately as well.

No logic... no ulterior motive scenarios, no "it's only about money... no conscience involved"... just a gut feeling.

If he is a man of integrity, he'll do what he said he'd do... not do an about face just because it makes him more money... but just because that's what he said.

I haven't looked, but I suspect revenues and income have remained at the same or perhaps better levels since he said those words. So, if that is true, then it is all about money... and Kroenke has to live with the fact he lied to a city and state.

I'm sure some will say he'll sleep just fine... they paint him as a machine with no feelings or emotions. Maybe he is. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the man.
This seems to be the history of the Rams ownership post Carrol Rosenblom.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to Forbes in August 2014 the Rams were rated dead last in team value and had just over $16 Million in operating income. By comparison the Buffalo Bills, the team ranked right above the Rams, had an operating income of $36 Million. The Cowboys, the most valued team, had operating income of over $124 Million dollars.
The Rams a cash cow? No.
Yup.. he is failing... failing to put a winner on the field.

I'm gonna take a wild assed guess and say they did very well (revenue/income) when they were winners?

Produce a crappy product and you'll get crappy operating results.

Remember, it's a business... ;)

fearsomefour

Legend
Yup.. he is failing... failing to put a winner on the field.

I'm gonna take a wild assed guess and say they did very well (revenue/income) when they were winners?

Produce a crappy product and you'll get crappy operating results.

Remember, it's a business... ;)
Exactly, its a business.
The Buffalo Bills, in a crappy city (no offense Buffalo people), without a winner in forever made twice the money the Rams did.
The team value would skyrocket as would profit with the move even with no improvement in performance. In particular if it is "his" stadium. The opportunities for events/money makers at a stadium there are huge if he owns the building and not the city....or is a majority owner of it anyway.
In fairness to Stan I do think he has tried to put together a winner. He spent money on the team ect.
I think he is a businessman first and foremost. He bought the team because he saw it as a good investment above all else. When a guy like that is ranked dead last in value/profit he is going to want to change things. The owners are competing on and off the field.
If St. Louis can put together something that makes sense in terms of dollars, building and potential profit ect. I think the Rams could well stay in St. Louis, but, it is an uphill fight.
The biggest block is the cost the NFL will assign to moving really....whats the time frame for return on cost ect.

fearsomefour

Legend
So, Keoenke = Frontiere?

What a legacy!!
In terms of making decisions based solely on a business plan, yes.
Stan probably has more interest in building a winner than Georgia did, but, that is/was probably secondary for both.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who saw the last second jump in and buy the Rams out from under Kahn gambit coming?

Anybody that knew he had the option to and how he worked to get a minority stake in the Rams and the first buy option would have known he was going to exercise that and buy the rest of the Rams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The Rams a cash cow? No.

Can you post the link to this Forbes story?

Status
Not open for further replies.