New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
2. By throwing in the towel, you are playing directly into Kroenke's hands, and thereby making it easier for the NFL to turn its back on St. Louis.
I truly want to believe this.
If St. Louis shows up en mass to Rams games and sells out the dome, can the NFL ignore an entire city's fanbase and approve a move? In the grand scheme of things, billionaires will have their own say in things, but it would be a PR black eye to say the least, and I'm sure that's something The Shield would like to avoid given the past two years' events.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Rams management sent a letter to regional officials Monday afternoon. The letter said the team was converting its 30-year lease to an “annual tenancy,” effective April 1 and, “in the absence of intervening events,” extending through March 31, 2016.

The notice, which has long been expected, does two things:

It allows owner Stan Kroenke to pull the team out of St. Louis as soon as 2016, because the Rams lease will now expire at the end of every season. The original lease was to expire in 2025.
It also legally binds the Rams to play at the Edward Jones Dome next fall — a point on which many here were uncertain.
I'm not entirely sure on that... especially given the "in the absence of intervening events" line... I mean, what else could that mean?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I smell great video game...

The outbreak has begun... but one football team is legally forced to play their games in their home stadium no matter what...

NOW, it's up to the team that no one believed in... to save the world.

RAMS vs. ZOMBIES! Rated T!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I smell great video game...

The outbreak has begun... but one football team is legally forced to play their games in their home stadium no matter what...

NOW, it's up to the team that no one believed in... to save the world.

RAMS vs. ZOMBIES! Rated T!

Rated T?! No zombie game worth a damn is rated less than M.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nixon administration says it could take action on Rams stadium without legislative input

• By Alex Stuckey

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_3ab09064-9d43-58c1-a499-d5b10e0ebd60.html

JEFFERSON CITY • Gov. Jay Nixon could issue bonds for a new St. Louis Rams stadium without approval by the Legislature, members of his administration asserted Tuesday.

At a state House budget hearing, Doug Nelson, Office of Administration commissioner, said a law passed more than 20 years ago allows the Nixon administration to act to issue such bonds. The law states that Missouri or any agency or department of the state can enter into a contract, agreement or lease with, for example, the city and/or county.

"This is not an indication of what we're going to do," Nelson said. "This is an indication that we believe we have that authority."

Sen. Ryan Silvey, R-Kansas City, requested Attorney General Chris Koster's legal opinion Tuesday regarding if the law provides Nixon this authority without approval of the Legislature or Missouri voters.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is reported to be working on a plan to build an 80,000-seat NFL stadium and 6,000-seat performance venue in the Los Angeles area. Rams management has since said they will stay in St. Louis next season. The original lease was set to expire in 2025.

This month, a two-member team appointed by Nixon revealed plans for a 64,000-seat, open-air stadium on the Mississippi River, just north of downtown St. Louis, in an effort to keep the St. Louis Rams in the city. The new stadium would cost nearly $1 billion, with as much as $405 million paid for by taxpayers.

The Legislature, so far, has not responded kindly to the notion of Nixon making a decision without them.

Rep. Jay Barnes, R-Jefferson, warned of litigation if the governor takes this step without running it through the Legislature.

"If the Nixon administration chooses to bind taxpayers for ... new debt without a vote of the people and their representatives in the General Assembly, those bonds should have an asterisk to say 'subject to litigation,' " he said Tuesday.

Scott Holste, Nixon's spokesman, did not say if the governor would take this avenue for issuing the bonds.

Senate Majority Leader Ron Richard disagreed with the idea that the executive branch could unilaterally extend the bonds.

"After reviewing it, I believe they need legislative authority to agree to that," said Richard, R-Joplin. "I don't believe they can do it on their own. I believe we should be part of that discussion and that approval process," he said.

That being said, he doubted that the overwhelmingly Republican Legislature would agree to take on more debt for a sports stadium.

"The sense of it is, right now, it's meeting on deaf ears," Richard said.

Richard said he wasn't sure how he would vote on a bond extension because many details remain hazy.

"It depends on what the owners are putting in," Richard said. "I've talked to Dave Peacock about it. I'm not sure (extending the bonds is) even what they're trying to do."

If Nixon goes ahead on his own, legislators would still hold sway over appropriations bills needed for the annual debt service payments on the bonds. And they might balk at paying the tab, Richard said, a move that could put the state's credit rating in jeopardy if the state were to default on the bonds.

House Speaker John Diehl, R-Town and Country, previously has said that public money to fund the new stadium would be "a pretty hard sell." He had no further comments Tuesday.

Democrats agreed that, practically speaking, the Legislature must be consulted.

"Issuing additional bonds without approval from voters or from the General Assembly is just not a realistic option," said Rep. Stephen Webber, D-Columbia and a member of the House Budget Committee.

"You cannot use a now-24-year-old bonding authority to add another $250-plus million that the state is obligated to pay off," Webber said. "It would be incredibly damaging for the state's bond rating, it would be incredibly damaging for the General Assembly's relationship with the entire St. Louis area. I think they would have a very difficult time passing an appropriations bill to pay off that bonding."

On Monday, senators had a similar reaction. After Nelson explained the situation to the Senate Appropriations Committee, Sen. Rob Schaaf, R-St. Joseph, filed a bill that would require legislative approval to extend any existing bonds for an additional obligation amount over $50 million.

"This is between the Legislature and the governor," Schaaf said. "For the governor to think he could put us in debt ...without the action of the Legislature is outrageous."

The bill is Senate Bill 319.

Virginia Young and David Hunn of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. The extreme, WILFULLY short sightedness of MO politicians.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. The extreme, WILFULLY short sightedness of MO politicians.
You're right about the short sighted politicians of the state of MO! Since the bonds are paid for by taxes to the hotel rooms in the STL area it's not an imposition to the residents of MO, it's a power play by the politicians, most of whom are out state, not STL area representatives! It's no skin off their noses if the stadium project is not done! It is a slap in the face to the STL area by them! :mad:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You're right about the short sighted politicians of the state of MO! Since the bonds are paid for by taxes to the hotel rooms in the STL area it's not an imposition to the residents of MO, it's a power play by the politicians, most of whom are out state, not STL area representatives! It's no skin off their noses if the stadium project is not done! It is a slap in the face to the STL area by them! :mad:

What we should do is rename the bill "annual farm subsidies for property owners".

They wouldn't even look at the bill. Just be tripping over themselves to sign it.

RamBill

Legend

Bernie: Warner hopes Rams stay in STL

• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_1f905cff-51a2-53b8-ada1-8ca3492e1f9a.html

PHOENIX • Kurt Warner's unique NFL career took off in St. Louis, and he'll always have special, sentimental feelings for the place that gave him his opportunity — which led to his fame, popularity and a Super Bowl ring.

Given his emotional connection, it's no surprise to hear the retired Rams and Cardinals quarterback say he hopes the Rams remain in St. Louis. Nothing against Los Angeles, but ...

"I'm a St. Louis guy," Warner told KMOX sports producer Ben Boyd. "So I want the Rams to stay there in St. Louis. That's where my heart is, and I'll always think of the Rams as part of St. Louis.

"But I hear the rumors. And I understand the logic of the natural fit with the Rams back in LA. But I'm a St. Louis guy. And my hope is that they stay there."

What about the St. Louis stadium plan?

Will it be enough to compel the Rams and team owner Stan Kroenke to stay? Warner hopes so. But he's a realist.

"I think that stuff always helps the cause," Warner said. "But I think the bottom line at the end of the day, whether it's Stan or the league, if they want the team in LA, I don't know if there's anything... if they're going to get that stadium and all that stuff in LA, I don't know if there's anything to stop it.

"I love the proposed plan, I love the fact that St. Louis is stepping up and saying 'We want our team to stay here.' Because I think that's what it's going to take. But at the end of the day I don't know what the determining factor is going to be."

Warner, an analyst for the NFL Network, was asked if he would have liked to play in an open-air stadium n St. Louis. He put up big numbers, indoors, at the Edward Jones Dome during his glory days as the QB for the Greatest Show on Turf _ the only NFL offense to score 500+ points in three consecutive seasons. That's one of the reasons why Warner is a finalist for 2015 induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"Don't matter to me," Warner said. "I'll play anywhere, inside or outside. I loved playing in St. Louis. I loved playing in front of the fans, so it would have been great."

Thanks to Ben Boyd and KMOX for providing the audio of Warner's comments.

— Bernie

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
What we should do is rename the bill "annual farm subsidies for property owners".

They wouldn't even look at the bill. Just be tripping over themselves to sign it.
Haha, yeah! The mind set of the out staters is definitely anti tax and anti big city! Prejudice is alive in the boonies! They don't even vote their own self interests! Easily swayed if you will! And yes I do know folks who live in small town MO.

bluecoconuts

Legend
SURVEY: St. Louis Voters 2-to-1 Against New Rams Stadium
Brett Blume (@brettblumekmox)

stadium-proposal.jpg

Photo of the proposed riverfront stadium. (Ben Boyd/KMOX)

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – How do likely St. Louis voters feel about the prospect of a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams?

A group called the Missouri Alliance for Freedom put that question and several others to 776 people who expect to cast a ballot in 2016.

One question was, “Do you believe the St. Louis Rams need a new stadium?”

“And 31 percent said yes,” says Alliance president Ryan Johnson. “But an overwhelming 69 percent said no.”

Seventy percent said subsidizing stadiums for professional sports teams was a “bad idea” – which happens to line up with the Alliance’s opinion on the subject.

Coincidence?

“We just simply asked the question, ‘Do you support or oppose?’ in a very non-partisan fashion,” responds Johnson. “And if you read the survey you can see that.”

Below is a complete list of questions posed by the Missouri Alliance of Freedom survey, along with the breakdown of responses by “likely voters.”

——————————————————————————-

The survey conducted January 26 – January 27, 2015. 776 likely voters participated in the survey. Survey weighted to match expected turnout demographics for the 2016 General Election. Margin of Error is +/-3.4%. Totals do not always equal 100% due to rounding. Survey conducted by Remington Research Group on behalf of Missouri Alliance for Freedom.

Q: If you had to choose one, what is your favorite professional sports team in St. Louis?

St. Louis Cardinals……………75%

St. Louis Rams………………….12%

St. Louis Blues………………….13%

Q: How would you feel if the St. Louis Rams relocated to Los Angeles?

Very disappointed…………………….36%

Somewhat disappointed…………..26%

Not disappointed……………………..17%

Not disappointed at all……………..22%

Q: How important do you believe the St. Louis Rams are to the area’s economy?

Very important………………………….36%

Somewhat important………………..42%

Not important…………………………..14%

Not important at all……………………7%

Q: Do you believe the St. Louis Rams need a new stadium?

Yes………..31%

No…………69%

Q: Do you believe subsidizing professional sports teams’ stadiums with tax dollars is a good idea or bad idea?

Good idea……….15%

Bad idea………….70%

Don’t know……..15%

Q: There has been discussion of the NFL’s St. Louis Rams relocating to Los Angeles. In order to keep the team in St. Louis, a plan has been proposed to build a new stadium using approximately $500 million in taxpayer funds. Do you support or oppose a plan using $500 million in taxpayer funds to build a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams in order to keep them in St. Louis?

Support……………….18%

Oppose………………..69%

Don’t Know……….…13%

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/01/28/survey-st-louis-voters-2-to-1-against-new-rams-stadium/

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

stadium-proposal.jpg

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – How do likely St. Louis voters feel about the prospect of a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams?

A group called the Missouri Alliance for Freedom put that question and several others to 776 people who expect to cast a ballot in 2016.

“And 31 percent said yes,” says Alliance president Ryan Johnson. “But an overwhelming 69 percent said no.”

Seventy percent said subsidizing stadiums for professional sports teams was a “bad idea” – which happens to line up with the Alliance’s opinion on the subject.

Coincidence?

“We just simply asked the question, ‘Do you support or oppose?’ in a very non-partisan fashion,” responds Johnson. “And if you read the survey you can see that.”

Below is a complete list of questions posed by the Missouri Alliance of Freedom survey, along with the breakdown of responses by “likely voters.”

The survey conducted January 26 – January 27, 2015. 776 likely voters participated in the survey. Survey weighted to match expected turnout demographics for the 2016 General Election. Margin of Error is +/-3.4%. Totals do not always equal 100% due to rounding. Survey conducted by Remington Research Group on behalf of Missouri Alliance for Freedom.

Q: If you had to choose one, what is your favorite professional sports team in St. Louis?

Yes………..31%

No…………69%

Q: Do you believe subsidizing professional sports teams’ stadiums with tax dollars is a good idea or bad idea?

Good idea……….15%

Bad idea………….70%

Don’t know……..15%

Q: There has been discussion of the NFL’s St. Louis Rams relocating to Los Angeles. In order to keep the team in St. Louis, a plan has been proposed to build a new stadium using approximately $500 million in taxpayer funds. Do you support or oppose a plan using $500 million in taxpayer funds to build a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams in order to keep them in St. Louis?

Support……………….18%

Oppose………………..69%

Don’t Know……….…13%

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/01/28/survey-st-louis-voters-2-to-1-against-new-rams-stadium/
Meh, doesn't really matter since it won't likely go to a public vote.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm a Rams fan and live in STL but don't believe it's in the best interest of the city to fund a stadium without the guarentee of having a team to play in it! This survey is worded so as to elicit a certain response from folks and doesn't present any of the benefits that putting that new stadium in would bring the city! Doesn't present the type of tax that would be used to fund said stadium to elicit more thought before responding! Typical of agenda driven surveys that I've seen!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

stadium-proposal.jpg

Coincidence?

Yes………..31%

No…………69%

Good idea……….15%

Bad idea………….70%

Don’t know……..15%

Support……………….18%

Oppose………………..69%

Don’t Know……….…13%

That's def. interesting, The Blues being only 13% and being a playoff contender for the past few years? That number kinda negates the whole "non support" thing.

Another thing is the feelings if they left, very disappointed and somewhat disappointed overtake the indifferent feelings. That tells me people at least care about the team.

It's also understandable they don't want to use taxpayer funds to build a stadium, but I don't think this survey will have much influence. 776 people out of 3 million or so? C'mon now.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's def. interesting, The Blues being only 13% and being a playoff contender for the past few years? That number kinda negates the whole "non support" thing.

Another thing is the feelings if they left, very disappointed and somewhat disappointed overtake the indifferent feelings. That tells me people at least care about the team.

It's also understandable they don't want to use taxpayer funds to build a stadium, but I don't think this survey will have much influence. 776 people out of 3 million or so? C'mon now.

It only asked for the favorite team. Is it any suprise that it's the Cardinals by a wide margin?

Also, the way the last question was worded is a bit off. It mentions nothing about that being half the cost, with the NFL and Stan kicking in the other half. It also, doesn't mention that the "taxpayer" funds are being taken care of by extending the existing bonds. The 99% of the taxpayers in the state won't ever feel any burden from the new stadium.

tonyl711

Starter
I'm a Rams fan and live in STL but don't believe it's in the best interest of the city to fund a stadium without the guarentee of having a team to play in it! This survey is worded so as to elicit a certain response from folks and doesn't present any of the benefits that putting that new stadium in would bring the city! Doesn't present the type of tax that would be used to fund said stadium to elicit more thought before responding! Typical of agenda driven surveys that I've seen!
there will not be a stadium built without money from the NFL to help pay the costs, the NFL isn't going to help build a stadium that isn't used by any of their teams. bottom line, if a stadium is built the NFL will make sure a team plays in it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The "Missouri Alliance for Freedom," are you fucking kidding me? Lets see if we poll 700 of the most right wing bible thumpers in the state about giving the city ANY extra tax dollars and what their reaction will be.

It looks like the majority agree that they would be disappointed if they left, as well as that they're important to the economy. So I wonder if we had someone with a half brain write a made up speech about how building a new stadium will be good for the economy, then have Larry the Cable guy read it to them then see if their opinion would change.

Also, I still don't understand why people will never understand this @ChrisW
It only asked for the favorite team. Is it any suprise that it's the Cardinals by a wide margin?

I know some of you are only casual fans of baseball if even at all, but it's still beyond me that this gets brought up. St. Louis is a sports town, and there is no questioning about it.

(Btw, please read)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Cardinals

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Also, the way the last question was worded is a bit off. It mentions nothing about that being half the cost, with the NFL and Stan kicking in the other half. It also, doesn't mention that the "taxpayer" funds are being taken care of by extending the existing bonds. The 99% of the taxpayers in the state won't ever feel any burden from the new stadium.

They didn't ask me.. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.