New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate this thread so much..Mostly adults post here from both perspectives..I still wander over to the PD..It has quieted down since they ejected posters like me and others. It's like mostly homogenous thought there now (concerning this one issue)..If you ever saw the movie the Stepford Wives, it has that feel now..A nice tidy ship...

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
hey goose. How are you man?

The buzz I'm hearing through Facebook and other back door channels I have is that if San Diego can strike a deal the Rams may announce in August. I wouldn't lose sleep over that one yet..

Always doing good my friend I hope the world is treating you well. I am sure that if Spanos could get a deal in SD to his liking he would take it in a heartbeat. I am just not sure that is going to happen which is really a shame. Clearly he wants to stay but SD won't do what it takes to keep him happy. I am really not putting much stock in the August rumor. It flies in the face of everything the NFL has said to this point. Maybe it happens but I have my doubts.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Always doing good my friend I hope the world is treating you well. I am sure that if Spanos could get a deal in SD to his liking he would take it in a heartbeat. I am just not sure that is going to happen which is really a shame. Clearly he wants to stay but SD won't do what it takes to keep him happy. I am really not putting much stock in the August rumor. It flies in the face of everything the NFL has said to this point. Maybe it happens but I have my doubts.

The NFL has been saying many things.

"We want to do everything possible for the home markets. In an unrelated note, we've shortened the time frame again. You know, to make it easier for Stan, I mean the people in those markets."

Big Willie

Starter
I appreciate this thread so much..Mostly adults post here from both perspectives..I still wander over to the PD..It has quieted down since they ejected posters like me and others. It's like mostly homogenous thought there now (concerning this one issue)..If you ever saw the movie the Stepford Wives, it has that feel now..A nice tidy ship...
From the way I see it, there is only one perspective. Teams are rallying points for communities, regardless of the level of play (high school, college, professional). The fans of professional teams are frequently threatened by money-obsessed individuals who prey on the emotions of these communities to extort favorable financial considerations. In situations like this where they pit one community against another, the community that "wins" gets a large financial burden as a city/state plus gets to put out more money in the form of exorbitant prices for the right to buy tickets (PSLs) and then must pay for tickets themselves. While no one should restrict their right to the financial rewards in terms of what a market will bear, it's the preying on the emotional attachment to the team that makes this an unsavory practice. And while the business stakeholders always seem to win, those who have only an emotional stake in the process invariably lose (financially and/or emotionally). There are great people in LA. There are great people in St Louis. Neither deserve this treatment.....but who ever said we get what we deserve?

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
It flies in the face of anything logical too. I hear you. We fans are the ones who are helping these guys afford to do what we don't want them to. :confused:

RamBill

Legend
NFL's market assessment complete for St. Louis
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a711820c-0506-5c61-9179-b5e6ecb9c363.html

The results are in. But the St. Louis task force has yet to see them.

A couple of months ago, the NFL began market assessment studies of Los Angeles, as well as the three markets trying to prevent their teams from moving to LA: St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego.

In St. Louis, this meant tens of thousands of e-mail questionnaires sent to past and present season-ticket holders — a process that apparently wasn’t an exact science since dozens of fans told the Post-Dispatch they did not receive a survey despite having been season-ticket holders for years.

In early April, things got more in depth with several focus groups of 15 to 20 fans interviewed about the Rams, their ticket preferences, their feelings about owner Stan Kroenke, their interest in buying PSLs and premium seats, and even how they’d feel about supporting a different team — such as the Raiders.

At the same time, CEOs and high-level executives of local companies were interviewed over the phone, presumably to test their feelings about purchasing club seats, luxury suites, and participating in things such as sponsorships in the proposed $985 million riverfront stadium planned for the north edge of downtown.

The St. Louis stadium task force headed by Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz has been eagerly awaiting the survey results for several weeks. They won’t have to wait much longer according to Eric Grubman, the NFL executive overseeing the potential Los Angeles relocation as well as the stadium projects in the current home markets of the St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers.

“The basic studies have been completed,” Grubman said earlier this week at the NFL owners meetings in San Francisco. “The information we’ve gotten, we’ve shared it with the clubs. We’re getting ready to share it with representatives from the markets. We wanted the clubs to be able to digest it before we gave it to the markets.”

Grubman didn’t specify exactly when the markets would receive the market assessment results, but it could be as early as next week. Similarly, he didn’t reveal what the survey results would entail.

(Reached via text message Thursday, Peacock said the task force was not sure what kind of information they would be receiving.)

It is anticipated that the task force will share the results publicly; Grubman said the league had no problem with them doing so.

Elaborating on the market assessments, Grubman said: “We’ve used the third-party firm of CSL Legends to do market assessments and site assessments of multiple sites in the Los Angeles market and also in each of the home markets — Oakland, San Diego and St. Louis.”

The assessments were done at league expense.

“The information that will come out of that is PSL potential, ticket potential, geographical preference for stadiums,” Grubman said. “How fans feel about certain elements of the brand resonance, and so forth and so on.

“These are professionally done. They’re done without bias. The information is available to us and our (Los Angeles) committee. It’s available to each of the three clubs.”

A summary of that information will be made available to representatives in the local markets; in St. Louis that’s the Peacock and Blitz group.

“And we will be providing that information to them shortly,” he said.

Grubman said the next step after studying the market assessment data is to refine any judgments based on that data.

“Then you have to design a marketing plan and go test the assumptions around that marketing plan,” Grubman said. “That step has not been done because you need to know where you’re marketing and who you’re marketing.”

And at this time, it’s not known if that step will wait until the league decides on LA relocation and on which of the three markets will keep their teams.

Grubman has traveled to each of the so-called home markets numerous times in recent years, and in general has come away with a sense of significant fan support.

“I’ve got to tell you, in each of these three markets there is not a time when I’m there that I don’t sense the tremendous support and appreciation of the fans for the team,” Grubman said.

But how that translates into the actual purchase of PSLs or premium seats could vary from market to market.

Two months ago at the NFL March meetings in Phoenix, Grubman provided more detail on what the league was looking for in the market assessments.

“The market assessment puts a data-driven estimate on the PSL potential,” he said at the time. “The number of tickets you can sell to season-ticket holders. The pricing of those tickets. The number of suites and club seats that are desired by the market. The likely pricing that will work.”

If the stadium plan here becomes a reality, St. Louis football fans will become the first to be asked to participate in a PSL — or personal-seat license — program twice. They did so in 1995 as part of the effort to lure the Rams to St. Louis from Los Angeles.

The level of business support in the community has also been gauged, an important component in an overall measurement of support for the team. Besides premium seats, that support also entails sponsorship, advertisement, naming rights, etc.

A lukewarm response will not help the local effort to keep the Rams.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The NFL has been saying many things.

"We want to do everything possible for the home markets. In an unrelated note, we've shortened the time frame again. You know, to make it easier for Stan, I mean the people in those markets."

Personally I'm fond of this:

"Our number one priority is making sure that home markets keep their team, but our number one priority is making sure LA is done right, because our number one priority is getting two teams in that LA market, since our number one priority is making sure that fans don't get left out in the cold, after all our number one priority is making sure that our bylaws are upheld, otherwise how could we keep in line with our number one priority of ensuring that our owners can do whatever they want to make us as rich as possible."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

"Our number one priority is making sure that home markets keep their team, but our number one priority is making sure LA is done right, because our number one priority is getting two teams in that LA market, since our number one priority is making sure that fans don't get left out in the cold, after all our number one priority is making sure that our bylaws are upheld, otherwise how could we keep in line with our number one priority of ensuring that our owners can do whatever they want to make us as rich as possible."
hof post :)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

As the old song goes....

It all sounds mighty funny, but it hurts too much to laugh.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner's NFL Owners Meetings Roundup
Nick Wagoner joins Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr on The Fast Lane to discuss the NFL owners meetings. Wagoner talks about Barksdale and how the Rams liked, but didn’t love him. As a result they were only willing to go so far in paying him. They Thought they could upgrade the position. Wagoner thinks the owners view Kroenke’s Inglewood project as the safest bet, partially because of his deep pockets. Complicating things is how far along the STL stadium plan is, although the financing must be secured by the fall.

Listen to Wagoner Rams Update

RamBill

Legend
JT's Rams Update: Doesn't Think Kroenke Goes Rogue
Jim Thomas talks with Frank Cusumano about the Stadium situations in STL/SD/LA. He reacts to the LaCanfora report that Carson may be the favorite now for the LA market. JT doesn’t think Kroenke will go rogue. Spanos is a long time NFL owner who has a lot of credibility among the other owners. Many in the league would like to see a “California” solution to the stadium problems, as well as, a different owner in Oakland. Peacock and Blitz realize the STL stadium plan has to be fully in place by the fall.

Listen to JT's Rams Update

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Would a playoff run get in the way of any plans of moving? Would the NFL really move a team that just won a super bowl?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Would a playoff run get in the way of any plans of moving? Would the NFL really move a team that just won a super bowl?

I think the biggest factor would be if we started the season like 3-0 and people started filling the dome. But the playoffs with no attendance wouldn't do anything.

iced

If the Chargers and Rams are playoff bound (and have atleast 1 home game), i wouldn't expect an announcement before then

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

It wouldn't matter it's not about the teams performance on the fiels. The long term revenues are all that matters. Plus the decision would have been made months before.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
With the owners meetings done, which projects - Inglewood or Carson - do you think has the best chance at this point?

"I think everyone kind of is reading the tea leaves that the Inglewood project is absolutely the leader in the clubhouse. The big cookie crumb...that brings you there is the owners said LA would be considered to host a Super Bowl in 2020. For that to happen, the team has to relocate and be operable by 2018. That could not happen in Carson. They still have some environmental issues with the land...all projections are that facility would not be completed by then. Speaing to someone with great knowledge (of the Rams' situation and Inglewood), the second that they get approved - if that happens - they could put a shovel in the ground (and start building the stadium). That land is flattened and ready to go. I think the feeling is...the Rams are going to be coming."

There are reports Chargers owner Dean Spanos is more liked and it could be tough for Stan Kroenke to get approval from the owners. Would he pursue legal action if it came to that?

"He's not going to have to. Stan Kroenke is following everything the league has asked of him in terms of giving the parties in St. Louis every opportunity to come up with a plan to keep the team in St. Louis. Now the owners are saying (we've had this conversation enough), it's go time. You host cities...If you've got something to do to make your teams stay, you better do it in the next couple months. I think the feeling is...the owners are going to say final, concrete plans...before the end of the year. Because if not, we've got owners ready to spend their own personal money to build their own stadiums. The owners are done playing around...if the (cities) want to keep their teams at own, they better get on the stick."

On St. Louis stadium project:

"I hate it because I lived in St. Louis...they've got nothing substantial going there. I think the feeling coming out of this meeting is the Rams' project is much further along. I think Stan Kroenke wants to be gone, I think he wants the Rams in Los Angeles. I think people inside the organization are pretty much packing their bags because they see what's going on and they also think St. Louis...it could be too little, too late. The overwhelming feeling at the owners meetings...is that it's time. I do think for everybody...it's going to end up with some hurt feelings."
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Owners-Meetings-is-Rams-Leaving-St-Louis.aspx

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
they've got nothing substantial going there.

Wat8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.