New 2018 NFL Mock Draft from Pro Football Focus offers unusual pick for Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...football-focus-los-angeles-rams-lsu-arden-key

629695404.jpg.0.jpg

LSU DE Arden Key
Photo by John Korduner/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

I always appreciate the mock drafts from Pro Football Focus. They’re never afraid to be original and bow away from conventional wisdom, something that most mocks do especially after the combine.

So it’s worth keeping an open mind reading a new mock from PFF’s Steve Palazzolo today, something you have to do starting with the #1 overall pick.

We’ve seen a ton of mocks already and many, if not most (all?), have the Cleveland Browns taking a quarterback. I’m not sure I’ve seen one that has them taking Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield...until now.

Another shocker comes at #3 with the Indianapolis Colts taking Michigan Wolverines DL Maurice Hurst. And Colorado St. WR Michael Gallup at #19 to the Dallas Cowboys? That’ll get Cowboys fans’ attention.

But for the Los Angeles Rams, I suppose things have to start with the CB watch for every mock as of now. Here, only one comes off the board before the 23rd pick, and it’s Iowa CB Josh Jackson to the Miami Dolphins at #11 overall.

That leaves a ton of options for the Rams, but you knew PFF was going to have to do something new...

EDGE Arden Key, LSU

Need and value match up well here as Key is a top-10 talent, but the 2017 season brought question marks both on and off the field. At his best, he has the burst to challenge the edge and the length to win multiple ways, all leading to an 88.0 pass-rush grade that ranked 10th in the nation in 2016. Last season, he played only 409 snaps and played a lot more coverage than he had in the past, but when unleashed, he still showed the pass-rush ability to make an impact at the next level.

There’s definitely a need and value matchup. The off-field question is one we haven’t really talked about in a long time. I know Misone and I danced around the idea of bringing in players with red flags on Turf Show Radio, but that was months ago before the Rams’ 2017 season took over.

Here’s the rub.

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay has, as all coaches do, limited bandwidth. He can only do so much. Handing off the defense to Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips allows McVay to spend more time doing, yanno, other things. Distractions from those other things impact his ability to oversee the offense and the other aspects of his general job responsibilities that he spend his time executing. One distraction he hasn’t had to deal with? Knuckleheads. And for a first-time head coach, this was certainly the wisest approach. Given the results, I’d be hard pressed to agree with any arguments against as much.

But at some point, as all coaches do, talent beckons. There will be prospects who show up on tape that do something special, something that your team desperately needs. And when it comes in the package of a 20-year old who has peccadilloes that threaten to both divert his career and subvert his employer, well that’s always a tough decision.

That’s the decision that beckons with Key.

He flashes the ability you look for in an elite pass rusher. But it flashes. It’s not consistent enough to lock in. And Key took a personal leave of absence for reasons that were never disclosed (expect that to be a question brought up at the combine next month).

Would Key be a worthwhile pick for the Rams at 23? Does the skill rushing the passer entice enough to merit the selection? And would the risk of bringing in someone who could disrupt #WeNotMe be too great to bear for a head coach as inexperienced as McBae?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not a big Key fan and there are probably a half dozen guys taken after him I’d prefer. Isaiah Oliver, Rashaan Evans, Denzel Ward, Payne, Okoronkwo and BillyPrice to name a few. Just don’t like Key his production plummeted this year and he had off field issues this year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If we can unlock this Key...he could be a game changing force. If he's there at 23, you take him...Reminds me of Cam Robinson....as far as talent at his position.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hate Key as a prospect. He's uber talented, sure, but has major character concerns and he was wildly inconsistent. He disappeared in a lot of games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hate Key as a prospect. He's uber talented, sure, but has major character concerns and he was wildly inconsistent. He disappeared in a lot of games.
Agree, he had 1 or 2 good games and disappeared in the rest even looked amazingly out of shape a couple games I watched.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we can unlock this Key...he could be a game changing force. If he's there at 23, you take him...Reminds me of Cam Robinson....as far as talent at his position.
I do know this Rams defense is in big need for an impact bona fide real 34 D OLB'er. But I am not sure that problematic Key is a good solid pick in the first round. Rams last defensive First rd selection was Aaron Donald 4 yrs ago & its past time to get another econo priced young talented pass rusher on this roster.The Jury is still out on Key.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Key scares the crap out of me as a prospect. We're in that range where he might fall to us if he doesn't interview well. So I am sure that right now Les and his scouts are interviewing his wet nurses.

The guy has rare talent though, there's just no doubting it.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do know this Rams defense is in big need for an impact bona fide real 34 D OLB'er. But I am not sure that problematic Key is a good solid pick in the first round. Rams last defensive First rd selection was Aaron Donald 4 yrs ago & its past time to get another econo priced young talented pass rusher on this roster.The Jury is still out on Key.

Yeah it's a huge need man. I picture this group with an elite young edge OLB, giving them that contain and athleticism, and the impact would be effin insane what with Donald inside.

If they were to hit on a guy of Key's ability, it's effin lights out for QBs in this division. And there's some good ones in this draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it's a huge need man. I picture this group with an elite young edge OLB, giving them that contain and athleticism, and the impact would be effin insane what with Donald inside.

If they were to hit on a guy of Key's ability, it's effin lights out for QBs in this division. And there's some good ones in this draft.
Put Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea in between Brockers and Donal and upgrade a MLB next to Tree and Quinn with Ebukam and we have just as dominant of a pass rush plus a front 7 that can stop the run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea in between Brockers and Donal and upgrade a MLB next to Tree and Quinn with Ebukam and we have just as dominant of a pass rush plus a front 7 that can stop the run.

No doubt. That's what's cool about this particular draft too. Even though we don't have a round 2 pick, they can get NT in any of the first three picks most likely, same with edge rusher and CB.

Then of course the Rams will do something we don't expect, just because, like move up for a LT, and my head will explode. But there's still time to enjoy all this. :p

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. That's what's cool about this particular draft too. Even though we don't have a round 2 pick, they can get NT in any of the first three picks most likely, same with edge rusher and CB.

Then of course the Rams will do something we don't expect, just because, like move up for a LT, and my head will explode. But there's still time to enjoy all this. :p
If he can play RT until Whit is done or RG then I have no problem with a LT. It's something that needs to be addressed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can play RT until Whit is done or RG then I have no problem with a LT. It's something that needs to be addressed.

I'll get over it if they go that route. Just not a fan of a high pick used for a backup, since he'd be hard pressed to beat out any of our starters, even Brown/Hav. Not to mention our defensive needs.

I have a lot of concerns about our defense. Don't want to see a year two swoon.