Need some opinions from Florida residents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey guys, I've been looking at career ops across the country, and Florida has always appealed to me.

Just wanting the general view on living in Florida. Cost of living, crime rates, being a resident in a tourist city, etc.

Some places I've been looking at were Tallahassee, West Palm Beach (although this is a very long shot), Orlando. What about places like the Tampa area, Clearwater, etc?

Any general info will do. I know there are pros and cons to any given city, but as a lifelong Oklahoma resident, I obviously have questions and nervousness of expanding beyond my bubble.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Our local radio station has what's called the "headline hoosier" where the talk about the most hoosierific folks across America and Florida is hands down the majority winner. They turned it into a game where you have to guess the state out of the same 5 every week. It's a good bet to place it all on Florida. Lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Grew up in Palm Harbor, Clearwater and spent times in other areas of Pinellas county. You're fine in Clearwater as long as when going to the beach you dont mind seeing a bunch of fucktard scientologists. I never minded, usually just laughed at them.

Nothing to special in that area. Beach is nice I guess, though I've never been a beach guy. Lots of bars and shit I could recommend if you do end up there.

Its not a bad place but since having grown up there, not to in love with it. Its jsut blah to me I guess. Only reason I ever go back is to visit and see friends and family.

I Hate the humidity and it can be bad. Walking outside youfeel you need a shower seconds later lol. or maybe its just me. I hate the heat.

Ybor city is alright, lots of clubs and bars, and has Gasperilla(faux mardi gras type thing; booze, beads and tits).

Lots of Steeler fans in that ares too :jerkoff:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I lived in Cleveland most of my life, but have traveled all over the USA. I live in SWFL now, Bonita Springs. I'm right on the border of Naples.

Florida has great coasts and great beaches. There is no state tax here, which can make a difference. The cost of living in some areas is no different that it would be back home, though living on the East Coast is very expensive. Plus it's crowded, loud and dirtier over there.

I wouldn't live in Orlando unless it was a really great job that paid very well.

If you end up down here on the Gulf Shore almost anywhere is very good to excellent. The quality of life is really great.

It's hot for a minute during summer, but not any hotter than it was back home it just lasts about 6 or 7 weeks longer. But it's perfect for so many months that it makes up for that.

You won't dislike living here.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
. There is no state tax here, which can make a difference.

Hadnt lived anywhere besides Florida till I came to Alabama a year ago. State tax sucks ass!!!!!! I miss not having one. No state tax is a big plus for sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bring sunblock.

Lots of sunblock.

I can only comment on the WPB area. Some of that County is very nice, and some of it isn't. IF you were to land in that area, I'd check out the Wellington and Royal Palm Beach sections. Palm Beach Gardens is nice, but it's pricey. Hobe Sound (North of Palm Beach) is more rural, and everything by the Ocean in WPB is too expensive or really run down. There is no inbetween.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Florida has a lot of weirdos. Check your PM.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@LesBaker ... FYI... Disney isn't Orlando. You trying to talk shit bout my city Boi,,, why I oughta.......

Most tourists have no idea about the real parts of Orlando. The places the locals are and live. The tourists and the theme parks are south of where the residents hang for the most part. There are fabulous places to live here in O-Town with very good schools and there is always something cool to do. We're only 30 minutes away from the REAL beaches too. The Gulf Coast beaches are picturesque... but the water is basically a big lake with no waves (The waves will not be firing over there Brah) and the offshore fishing doesn't compare to the Atlantic. There are many small cities that surround O-Town... the area is really better described as Central FL.

I'm not bias or anything considering my wife and I, my parents, and my sons were all born here in The 407. LOL

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Florida has a lot of weirdos. Check your PM.

For that all he needs to do is look in the "dumbass of the day" thread!

http://cw39.com/2015/06/18/florida-man-calls-911-to-brag-about-his-muscles/

Florida man calls 911 to brag about his muscles
JUNE 18, 2015, BY TREYSERNA

ST. AUGUSTINE, FL – It’s nice to get a compliment every now and then, and maybe that’s all one Florida man was looking for.

Police say they got a call from 44-year-old Eddie Garcia, who reportedly called to report a harassing telephone call he got. His emergency quickly took a romantic turn. He started hitting on the dispatcher, who hung up on him shortly after she realized he wasn’t calling for an actual emergency. But Eddie’s a man with a plan and called back not once, but twice. This time he tried enticing the dispatcher by telling her he had big muscles.

She wasn’t enticed, and instead, decide to send police to Garcia, who later arrested him. That’s how he became our Dumbass of the Day!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The only bad thing I could think to say about living in Florida is the cost of house insurance and of course, the further you go south, the further northern you get. :whistle:

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I lived in Cleveland most of my life, but have traveled all over the USA. I live in SWFL now, Bonita Springs. I'm right on the border of Naples.

Florida has great coasts and great beaches. There is no state tax here, which can make a difference. The cost of living in some areas is no different that it would be back home, though living on the East Coast is very expensive. Plus it's crowded, loud and dirtier over there.

I wouldn't live in Orlando unless it was a really great job that paid very well.

If you end up down here on the Gulf Shore almost anywhere is very good to excellent. The quality of life is really great.

It's hot for a minute during summer, but not any hotter than it was back home it just lasts about 6 or 7 weeks longer. But it's perfect for so many months that it makes up for that.

You won't dislike living here.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Nothing is set in stone, yet. I've been applying in Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, and Florida. Hopefully something comes up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've lived in Florida pretty much all my life. Great state to live in and cost of living is very reasonable in a lot of areas. I will say to be careful with West Palm Beach. As others said, there are nice areas there and then some VERY dangerous areas. Generally, a nice place to live once you get used to the weather. One major downside is that the political leadership of the state is pretty terrible right now.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've lived in Florida pretty much all my life. Great state to live in and cost of living is very reasonable in a lot of areas. I will say to be careful with West Palm Beach. As others said, there are nice areas there and then some VERY dangerous areas. Generally, a nice place to live once you get used to the weather. One major downside is that the political leadership of the state is pretty terrible right now.

Politics? Dude. Oklahoma.

iced

COLA is pretty reasonable here; I spent most of years in Sarasota or Venice..Tampa is a good place from what I understand to live; my best friend used to live in St.Pete. Can't beat no State taxes; also should you get divorced (not sure if you're married or not) I don't believe you have to pay alimony in this state (i was married in CA, got divorced here through the help of my old man as my lawyer lol, strongly advised i file divorce here first so i could avoid any chance of alimony and such)

As far as the weather goes, depends on what you like.. I love the rain so for me its an awesome place to live. Other than dealing with some asshole snowbirds, it's pretty nice :)