Nathaniel Hackett had interview yesterday to be OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Fred Jackson says Nate Hackett 'couldn't do what he wanted'
January, 5, 2015
Jan 5
12:30
PM ET
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com
In Doug Marrone's two seasons as head coach, the Buffalo Bills' offense averaged 4.92 yards per play, the third-worst mark in the league.

It's fair for offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to shoulder some of the blame for those struggles, but running back Fred Jackson believes Hackett was being held back from doing more with the offense.

[+] Enlarge

"I love Nate. I loved what he brought to the table," Jackson said during his weekly appearance on WGR 550 in Buffalo. "He was a guy that, just anybody else on the team was under fire with the lack of performance that we had as an offensive unit.

"But I could definitely see him not getting to do some of the things he wanted to. I had some conversations with him and it wasn't always, at times, what he wanted to get done."

That's a not-so-subtle shot at coach Doug Marrone, whose sudden departure last week left Jackson feeling like he had been "punched in the stomach."

When Marrone and Hackett took control of the Bills' offense in 2013, their offense was built around speed. The Bills averaged 24.7 seconds of possession per play, the second-fastest rate in the NFL.

But a variety of factors -- especially their quarterback situation -- rendered the offense that season largely inefficient. The Bills ended 39.3 percent of their drives without a first down or touchdown, the seventh-highest rate in the league.

The Bills slowed down the pace this season, averaging 28.0 seconds of possession per play (14th in the NFL), and took a more conservative approach, averaging 7.1 air yards per pass attempt (second-fewest in the NFL).

Hackett wanted to be more aggressive, according to Jackson.

"He was an aggressive guy and has always been since I've known him," Jackson said. "When some of the things that were called that didn't kind of fit his mold, that is what it is. He couldn't do what he wanted to.

"Knowing Nate, Nate is a guy that likes to go big or go home. Some of the stuff that he wanted to call, didn't get called in a game, and I don't know if that was always his call."

Hackett remains under contract with the Bills, but his future with the team is up in the air as they search for a new head coach.

"I hope the best for him," Jackson said. "He's a great coach, a guy that I loved playing for. A lot of guys loved playing for him. We'll see what happens and how everything plays out."
I liked reading that. Hope he is good if we get him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked reading that. Hope he is good if we get him.

I'm interested to see what he offers as well. He did do an excellent job at Syracuse, but as posted might have been held back and let's hope Fisher does not put on similar restraints as the aforementioned Doug Marrone.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Interesting. Wonder if Hackett would run the hurry up here, since Fisher doesn't seem to like it. That's when Bradford's been the most effective imo.

Yeah very very interesting. I wasn't very excited about the idea of hiring this guy but this gives me some hope and a reason to be optimistic. I know its only one player but Fred Jackson has been in this league for a long time and is a very smart player so I believe him about Marone holding him back. If fisher brings Hackett in he needs to turn him lose and let him run the hurry up no huddle or whatever he wants to do. If he Holds him back like Marone did I expect to see the same results buffalo saw.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Interesting. Wonder if Hackett would run the hurry up here, since Fisher doesn't seem to like it. That's when Bradford's been the most effective imo.

This is REALLY interesting when you consider the rumors of the Rams' interest in Nick Foles. If they're looking at both an OC and a QB with experience in the hurry up, you have to wonder if it will be a part of their plans in 2015.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We wanted Buffalo's guy Roman.
Who obviously wanted out of the division. Who knows what level of interest the Rams had

I hope we get Hackett now that Chud's off the table. Please no Boras and definately NO Cignetti

FRO

Legend
Who obviously wanted out of the division. Who knows what level of interest the Rams had

I hope we get Hackett now that Chud's off the table. Please no Boras and definately NO Cignetti
I think Cig has done a good job with the QBs he has had. I would rather go in house and keep the verbiage of the offense the same rather than go outside and get a new guy whose track record is the same as Schottenhiemer.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think Cig has done a good job with the QBs he has had. I would rather go in house and keep the verbiage of the offense the same rather than go outside and get a new guy whose track record is the same as Schottenhiemer.

Doesn't Hackett run a similer system? I would think and hope that if he is brought on he could adapt his offense into the verbiage the guys already know. Wouldn't it be easier for the OC to learn our verbiage and modify his playbook to it rather than teach the entire offense new verbiage? makes sense to me but I don't know if thats how it would be done or how difficult it is for an OC to do that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cignetti is a blowhard like Charlie Weis, except he doesnt have Weis career success nor his SB ring
There's a reason he doesnt stay long wherever he's been
I dont desire continuation of what they had. What they had was average at best and personally I dont want any of the QB back so I dont care about the verbiage.

jap

Legend
Doesn't Hackett run a similer system? I would think and hope that if he is brought on he could adapt his offense into the verbiage the guys already know. Wouldn't it be easier for the OC to learn our verbiage and modify his playbook to it rather than teach the entire offense new verbiage? makes sense to me but I don't know if thats how it would be done or how difficult it is for an OC to do that.

What you are suggesting has been done in the past. I made a similar suggestion weeks ago.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a reason he doesnt stay long wherever he's been

Hasn't he been with the Rams since Jeff Fisher got hired? That's going on 4 years now.

In this day and age, that's a pretty long stop in one place.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hasn't he been with the Rams since Jeff Fisher got hired? That's going on 4 years now.

In this day and age, that's a pretty long stop in one place.
Going on 4 years? Technically he's going on 3 years now, it will be 3 years in 2 weeks
Prior to his Rams stint he didnt stay long. He was a d-bag at RU

Not a fan

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going on 4 years? Technically he's going on 3 years now, it will be 3 years in 2 weeks
Prior to his Rams stint he didnt stay long. He was a d-bag at RU

Not a fan
Perhaps I got it wrong... thought I read he was hired in February, 2012.

I think Jeff Fisher was hired in January, 2012.

Haven't they now gone through three NFL seasons together? So, this is going on their 4th?

I can see you are not a fan of Cignetti, but staying with the Rams going into his 4th season isn't exactly transient to me.

Fisher must see something he likes in him that you don't.

You seem to like Hackett...

Hackett to me? Not a fan.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Report: 49ers hiring Steve Logan for a job on offensive staff
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 27, 2015, 5:36 PM EST
logan_4x3-300x225.jpg

New 49ers coach Jim Tomsula is hiring one of his old NFL Europe co-workers, one who will easily be a better interview.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea, the 49ers are expected to hire Steve Logan for a position on the offensive side of the ball. It’s not known whether it’s as coordinator or a position coach.

Logan was Tomsula’s offensive coordinator with the Rhein Fire in 2006.

Logan has been the head coach at East Carolina, and an offensive coordinator at Boston College. He was a running backs coach for the Buccaneers under Raheem Morris.

The 49ers kept running backs coach Tom Rathman and quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, and they’re hiring Tony Sparano to coach tight ends, with Chris Foerster coming to coach the offensive line.

That doesn’t leave many chairs for Logan to fill.

He’s been out of coaching since leaving the Bucs after the 2011 season, and works for a radio station in Raleigh, N.C. in his spare time. (I’ve been a guest with him, occasionally talking football, and he’s quite entertaining). So at least Tomsula will have a guy with some media savvy on his staff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if it ends up being Hackett it will strangely shadow Fish's first hire of Schotty. Coach's son, underwhelming performance statistically, with Fish seeing talent in him and hoping he's ready to take the next step.

I will say this in Hackett's favor: it's good to read positive things said by players and it does make me feel better about him as an option. That tells me he probably does a good job communicating what he knows to them, which means he is probably a good teacher (and is where I believe Schotty came up short). If Hackett is good at translating what he's trying to do to the players, I think he could end up being the guy that ties all this talent together into one cohesive unit.

Whoever does that is gonna be one heckuva hot name in the NFL. IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps I got it wrong... thought I read he was hired in February, 2012.

I think Jeff Fisher was hired in January, 2012.

Haven't they now gone through three NFL seasons together? So, this is going on their 4th?

I can see you are not a fan of Cignetti, but staying with the Rams going into his 4th season isn't exactly transient to me.

Fisher must see something he likes in him that you don't.

You seem to like Hackett...

Hackett to me? Not a fan.
Correct, he was hired February 7, 2012. In 2 weeks, it will be 3 years....

I like Hackett potential for sure, I think the Buffalo numbers are tough to judge with the QB he had to work with.
I like that his background hasnt tied him to one style of offense and he's had OCexperience in 2 team that vastly improved while he was there.
I see where some focus on the points per game. And I look past it. Heck Norv Turner offenses have been dreadful the last 2 years, (3 if you count his last year in San Diego as HC) and I'd LOVE to have him

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Report: 49ers hiring Steve Logan for a job on offensive staff
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 27, 2015, 5:36 PM EST
logan_4x3-300x225.jpg

New 49ers coach Jim Tomsula is hiring one of his old NFL Europe co-workers, one who will easily be a better interview.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea, the 49ers are expected to hire Steve Logan for a position on the offensive side of the ball. It’s not known whether it’s as coordinator or a position coach.

Logan was Tomsula’s offensive coordinator with the Rhein Fire in 2006.

Logan has been the head coach at East Carolina, and an offensive coordinator at Boston College. He was a running backs coach for the Buccaneers under Raheem Morris.

The 49ers kept running backs coach Tom Rathman and quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, and they’re hiring Tony Sparano to coach tight ends, with Chris Foerster coming to coach the offensive line.

That doesn’t leave many chairs for Logan to fill.

He’s been out of coaching since leaving the Bucs after the 2011 season, and works for a radio station in Raleigh, N.C. in his spare time. (I’ve been a guest with him, occasionally talking football, and he’s quite entertaining). So at least Tomsula will have a guy with some media savvy on his staff.

Fucking losers

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Assistant head coach now for the Colts, they're doing anything to keep him. Don't think Pep will stay around long it seems.
Yeah, only a one year deal. So it could be more Chud-Drama again next year