Mystery QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just saw a clip on Chris Simms talking about a Mystery QB (Bryan Bennett/Southeastern Louisiana). Simms said he was very impressed with Bennett's film and he won't be surprised to see him challenge Hundley & Petty as the 3rd QB taken in this year's draft. Does anyone know anything about him? All I know is he started his college career at Oregon and then eventually transferred to Southeastern Louisiana. But, Simms seems really impressed with Bennett.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/2015_senior_bowl_bryan_bennett_emerges_as_top_qb_p.html

MOBILE, Ala — After being added to the 2015 Senior Bowl roster at the last minute, it didn't take long for Southeastern Louisiana quarterback Bryan Bennett to make an impact in front of his old head coach again.

Taking part in the afternoon practice with the South team on Wednesday, Bennett — who played for Eagles head coach Chip Kelly at Oregon for two seasons before transferring — quickly established himself as the best quarterback in Mobile, the result of some not-so-great competition, and the intriguing skill set he brings to the position.

"I just want to take the opportunity I've been given and make the most of it," Bennett said. "Put quality tape out there and getting better."

At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Bennett's road to both Southeastern Louisiana and the Senior Bowl is a complicated one.

Originally a member of Kelly's Ducks during the 2011 season, Bennett transferred in 2012 after losing out a quarterback competition to Heisman winner Marcus Mariota. The competition was close one, and can be compared to the one between between Nick Foles and Michael Vick in 2013.

Forced to sit on the bench, Bennett decided to transfer, putting him out of the spotlight but on the playing field.

"It was a decision I had to make," Bennett said, "Coach Kelly did a great job with us. I learned a lot from him, and I got a really good opportunity to play under a coach like him."

Bennett was only added to the Senior Bowl roster after Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall decided to switch to cornerback. Marshall's decision led to a hectic 24 hours for Bennett, who caught a redeye flight to Alabama while his coaches drove his equipment to the stadium from Louisiana.

"I didn't get much sleep," Bennett joked.

Bennett finished his college career with 6,102 passing yards, 48 passing TD's, 2,080 rushing yards and 37 rushing TD's in three seasons. He has the best combination of arm strength and mobility among the six quarterbacks taking part in the Senior Bowl. That much was clear on Tuesday, as he did a nice job moving his team down the field with a combination of long passes and runs, one of which went for 15 yards.

"Coach said I had a good first day," Bennett said, "(considering I) got here this morning."

Now that he is here and competing, Bennett has a chance to improve a draft stock that currently has him potentially not being drafted at all. Of the other five quarterbacks in the Senior Bowl, Baylor's Bryce Petty was considered the quarterback that would be drafted the highest, but that might be changing as he has struggled so far.

For the Eagles and Kelly, the addition of Bennett to the roster gives them a chance to get a closer look at the former Oregon player. The Eagles are in the market for a quarterback, as their confidence in starter Nick Foles appears to be souring and backup Mark Sanchez is a free agent.

The chances of the Eagles taking Bennett and him playing next season are slim, but as a mid-to-late round pick, Bennett does offer Kelly all of the physical tools he could ask for in a quarterback, and a chance to once again develop him.

"Absolutely," said Bennett of potentially joining the Eagles. "I already have familiarity with Coach Kelly, so that would be cool."

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/2015_senior_bowl_bryan_bennett_emerges_as_top_qb_p.html

MOBILE, Ala — After being added to the 2015 Senior Bowl roster at the last minute, it didn't take long for Southeastern Louisiana quarterback Bryan Bennett to make an impact in front of his old head coach again.

Taking part in the afternoon practice with the South team on Wednesday, Bennett — who played for Eagles head coach Chip Kelly at Oregon for two seasons before transferring — quickly established himself as the best quarterback in Mobile, the result of some not-so-great competition, and the intriguing skill set he brings to the position.

"I just want to take the opportunity I've been given and make the most of it," Bennett said. "Put quality tape out there and getting better."

At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Bennett's road to both Southeastern Louisiana and the Senior Bowl is a complicated one.

Originally a member of Kelly's Ducks during the 2011 season, Bennett transferred in 2012 after losing out a quarterback competition to Heisman winner Marcus Mariota. The competition was close one, and can be compared to the one between between Nick Foles and Michael Vick in 2013.

Forced to sit on the bench, Bennett decided to transfer, putting him out of the spotlight but on the playing field.

"It was a decision I had to make," Bennett said, "Coach Kelly did a great job with us. I learned a lot from him, and I got a really good opportunity to play under a coach like him."

Bennett was only added to the Senior Bowl roster after Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall decided to switch to cornerback. Marshall's decision led to a hectic 24 hours for Bennett, who caught a redeye flight to Alabama while his coaches drove his equipment to the stadium from Louisiana.

"I didn't get much sleep," Bennett joked.

Bennett finished his college career with 6,102 passing yards, 48 passing TD's, 2,080 rushing yards and 37 rushing TD's in three seasons. He has the best combination of arm strength and mobility among the six quarterbacks taking part in the Senior Bowl. That much was clear on Tuesday, as he did a nice job moving his team down the field with a combination of long passes and runs, one of which went for 15 yards.

"Coach said I had a good first day," Bennett said, "(considering I) got here this morning."

Now that he is here and competing, Bennett has a chance to improve a draft stock that currently has him potentially not being drafted at all. Of the other five quarterbacks in the Senior Bowl, Baylor's Bryce Petty was considered the quarterback that would be drafted the highest, but that might be changing as he has struggled so far.

For the Eagles and Kelly, the addition of Bennett to the roster gives them a chance to get a closer look at the former Oregon player. The Eagles are in the market for a quarterback, as their confidence in starter Nick Foles appears to be souring and backup Mark Sanchez is a free agent.

The chances of the Eagles taking Bennett and him playing next season are slim, but as a mid-to-late round pick, Bennett does offer Kelly all of the physical tools he could ask for in a quarterback, and a chance to once again develop him.

"Absolutely," said Bennett of potentially joining the Eagles. "I already have familiarity with Coach Kelly, so that would be cool."

Great article! Thanks for the information!