My Very 1st Live Game. Packers vs Rams!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've told this story before, But I think it's appropriate to repeat it, on the Eve of the BIG Game!!
My very 1st Live game was Dec 16th 1951. At the L.A. Coliseum. Packers vs Rams.
I was a 7 year Old Cubs Scout ( It was Scout Day at the Coliseum!) sitting on the 50 yard Line, 17 rows up!
Here are the High points of what I saw:
* Bob Waterfield passed for 5 TD's, Kicked 5 extra point, and kicked a FG! He went 15 of 27 for 256 Yards thru 2 Int's and was sacked once!
* Elroy 'Crazy-Legs Hirsch Had 6 rec. for 146 Yards w/a long of 72 Yds. OH! YAH! he had 3 TD's!!
* Hoerner & Fears caught the other two TD passes!
* Deacon Dan Towler rushed 13 times for 102 Yards, w/ a long of 26!
FINAL SCORE: RAMS 42 Packers 14!!
* The crowd (especially me) went nuts!!
And on this date DaveFan'51 was born!!

This is my way of saying, Let's not worry about what the Packers can do to us, LET THEM WORRY ABOUT WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO TO THEM!!

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've told this story before, But I think it's appropriate to repeat it, on the Eve of the BIG Game!!
My very 1st Live game was Dec 16th 1951. At the L.A. Coliseum. Packers vs Rams.
I was a 7 year Old Cubs Scout ( It was Scout Day at the Coliseum!) sitting on the 50 yard Line, 17 rows up!
Here are the High points of what I saw:
* Bob Waterfield passed for 5 TD's, Kicked 5 extra point, and kicked a FG! He went 15 of 27 for 256 Yards thru 2 Int's and was sacked once!
* Elroy 'Crazy-Legs Hirsch Had 6 rec. for 146 Yards w/a long of 72 Yds. OH! YAH! he had 3 TD's!!
* Hoerner & Fears caught the other two TD passes!
* Deacon Dan Towler rushed 13 times for 102 Yards, w/ a long of 26!
FINAL SCORE: RAMS 42 Packers 14!!
* The crowd (especially me) went nuts!!
And on this date DaveFan'51 was born!!

This is my way of saying, Let's not worry about what the Packers can do to us, LET THEM WORRY ABOUT WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO TO THEM!!

GO RAMS!!
View attachment 10725

Saturday morning - check!
Coffee - check!
This great story/post - check!

Awesome way to start my day, Dave. Thank you and Happy Birthday, brother!

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Great post. I wasn't born until 1962, but I became a Rams fan when I was 9 because of two things. 1 - I watched a pre-season game between the Rams and the Chiefs and learned that Roman Gabriel was from my home state. When you're nine, you need a connection. 2 - I checked out a book at the library named "Great Teams Of The NFL" and one of the chapters was on the 1951 Los Angeles Rams.

YOU actually saw those guys in action. Wow. Happy birthday!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great post. I wasn't born until 1962, but I became a Rams fan when I was 9 because of two things. 1 - I watched a pre-season game between the Rams and the Chiefs and learned that Roman Gabriel was from my home state. When you're nine, you need a connection. 2 - I checked out a book at the library named "Great Teams Of The NFL" and one of the chapters was on the 1951 Los Angeles Rams.

YOU actually saw those guys in action. Wow. Happy birthday!
And the Great thing is, at 71 years Old, I still remember it Like it was just last season!:D

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Love this omen of good karma!!!!!! GO RAMS!!!!!!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Love the Story Dave, Your memory is a blessing at 51 I am not sure I come close to remembering the details of my first RAM game at LA Memorial

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
And the Great thing is, at 71 years Old, I still remember it Like it was just last season!:D

I was born the year of your 1st game, Dave...My 1st was 1964...Didn't turn out as well for our Rams...My real vivid memory is John Mackey catching a pass from Unitas for 80 yards and a touchdown on the 1st play from scrimmage...The highlight was Dick Bass sweeping the left side for a score...I remember having to pay a couple of bucks for my dad to park in some guys front yard...I've never understood why they that built the Coliseum right there..

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great story DaveFan son. Great year to be born as well sharing it with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, quite possibly one of the greatest ever Americans.........you ham and egger!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was born the year of your 1st game, Dave...My 1st was 1964...Didn't turn out as well for our Rams...My real vivid memory is John Mackey catching a pass from Unitas for 80 yards and a touchdown on the 1st play from scrimmage...The highlight was Dick Bass sweeping the left side for a score...I remember having to pay a couple of bucks for my dad to park in some guys front yard...I've never understood why they that built the Coliseum right there..
I'm not sure why they built the Coliseum where they did, unless it was because it was built for the Olympics way back when, and they thought it would be the best local for Tourism!:confused::thinking: