MR: 2016 Mock Offseason 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
MR: 2016 Mock Offseason 2.0

HC Gus Malzahn (Auburn)
OC David Lee (QB Coach, Bills)
DC Jim Schwartz

NOTES: Malzahn and Lee worked together at the University of Arkansas years ago and together they would put together an offense that would allow for non traditional drop back pocket passers (of which there is an abundance) to have success and score points.

KEY PERSONNEL DEPARTURES (via trade release or free agency):
Rodger Saffold, Jared Cook, Nick Foles, Akeem Ayers, Nick Fairley, Mark Barron, Wes Welker, Eugene Sims, Trumaine Johnson, Rodney McLeod

KEY RESIGNINGS:
William Hayes, Janoris Jenkins (potential franchise tag)

KEY CONTRACT RESTRUCTURING:
Chris Long

KEY VETERAN MINIMUM OFFERS:
Tim Barnes, Brian Quick, Corey Harkey competing for jobs.

KEY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:
QB Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
(probably happens in April)
Kaepernick is not and will probably never be a quality traditional drop back passer. However, he would be almost a PERFECT FIT for what Malzahn has run before at Auburn and could help make Gurley and Austin even more of a match-up nightmare by keeping defenses honest.

TE Dwayne Allen, Colts
While the Rams lose some of the down the field explosiveness, the long striding and not sudden, Jared Cook has the potential to provide, the team replaces him with a capable TE who can not only catch passes, but can also block inline.

FS Tashuan Gipson
McLeod has played better that what some give him credit, but I'd like to see more of a ball hawk back there in the secondary for the Rams who only have 9 INTs to date this season.

2016 NFL MOCK DRAFT

1) LaQuon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
upload_2015-12-4_21-34-53.png

Finally a big physical WR who is open even when he is covered. He should also provide the team another physical mismatch blocking in the running game.

2) Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
upload_2015-12-4_21-35-6.png

To the chagrin of some, the youth movement continues along the OLine here with the brother of Cowboys OG Zach Martin. Capable of playing both OG and C, Martin should still be an upgrade over Barnes who has played better than most seemed to have expected.

2) Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
upload_2015-12-4_21-35-20.png

Little heard of talent getting raved reviews according to some media draftniks. Here the Rams “Feed The Beast” with someone to replace Fairley and potentially replace Brockers if he can’t be signed long-term past the 2016 season.

3) Kentrell Brothers, LB, Missouri
upload_2015-12-4_21-35-41.png

Rams go back to the Missouri well again and nab this tackling machine who in time or immediately (upon injury) could replace James Laurinatis.

4) Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State
upload_2015-12-4_21-36-3.png

Another perfect fit for the new offense. Again, he’ll probably never be the tradition drop back pocket passer most traditionalist seem willing to wait years for the team to find no matter how it takes. But, he fits and can also keep defenses honest with Gurley and Austin vs. the run and throwing it up for the 1st round selection.

6) TRADED To Jacksonville Jaguars for CB Nick Marshall
upload_2015-12-4_21-36-21.png

Well Dammit. I couldn’t think of anyone else. And I still want to see this kid in a Rams uniform. Sure, let him continue to develop at CB. But, with the new offense it’s probably best to have an in-game backup plan at QB in case of injury.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan. I don't disagree with the idea of using Kaepernick and that style of offense. I actually did a mock of my own with that on another site. But Gus Malzahn? No way. He's reportedly on the hot seat at Auburn and his team has regressed since the National Championship loss against FSU in 2013. I can't hire a guy whose team has gotten worse every year. He's gotta rebound before I'd consider that. It also doesn't help that Will Muschamp is so eager to get out of Auburn.

Plus, I don't like Dak Prescott. I don't even think he's an impressive athlete. Don't believe he'll be a big running threat in the NFL. He's not particularly fast in college. I'd rather have Cardale Jones or Jacoby Brissett if we're going that direction. Think both of them have more upside as a developmental QB and more physical talent.

Also find it interesting that you don't have us signing Terrelle Pryor. He'd make sense as a backup on a team like this.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Auburn has lost a lot of talent since that FSU lost in 2013, too. But, IMO, that goes to recruiting. Not coaching. Even this past season he was starting a new QB, RB, WRs, and a couple OLinemen. With parity in the NFL the talent gap shouldn't be as ridiculous. Sorry, I don't overly give credit to coaching staffs who win consistently when they clearly have more talent than their competition.

And Muschamp is interviewing for Head Coaching positions (probably gets the South Carolina job) and has previous relationships with others who are now in position to bring him in.

I like Dak Prescott in this offense. And again, I believe he's more impressive of an athlete than you do. Though Brissett seems more McNabb like to me, he and the others would be options, too. Pryor was a given to compete. But, since he just signed to a NFL team just last week I didn't list him as a major signing.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
I admit my limitations and offer no opinion on coaches. ;)

Overall, like the draft but it all comes down to Prescott. Lots of mixed feelings about him. I think he has improved as a pocket passer and is mobile enough to extend plays and make a few plays with his legs. That said, I think he offers nothing in his first year in the NFL. If they don't think Mannion will develop, I like Prescott enough to try him next.

I think a DT in this draft as a 2016 Fairley replacement and potential 2017 Brockers replacement may happen. I think top 50 pick is a bit high for Butler. I'd consider Sheldon Rankins, Louisville there. A bit smaller but a good run defender and seems agile for a big man.

Wanted Marshall last year and would still love to have him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not a fan of this tbh. It is something different at least from all the other mocks, that's for sure. Don't see a any kind of playoff team from those changes.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Dwayne Allen would be a damn nice addition to this team.

And doing something new at QB and HC is welcome in my book.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Stel
I've read in a couple places that Butler may even go within the top 32 selections. His Senior Bowl week will be huge there.

Not a fan of any rookie QB in this draft class starting games. However, this would be the offense for one to do it, if a team had to as it would be similar to what he's already running at Mississippi State.

@Tron
If these changes lead to and improved offense with fewer turnovers / penalties and a more disciplined defense, I see a playoff team.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
You know I'm down with Kaep and a revamped running attack. I'm not a fan of Dak from what I've seen in the past, but I haven't looked at him this year. I like what you drafted and put around the rest of the offense with a big outside WR, C/G and possible starter at MLB in Brothers. I like the way he can slide and shed blockers and get to the ball carrier. He seems to be in position way more than he's not. Also wouldn't like Tru being let go with the increased cap. I'd get rid of Chris Long to keep Trumaine, but to each their own. Overall it's creative and I like it because it provides a decent offense without top tier or even above average QB play. No reason to not look for the next great QB, but it's nice to be able to craft a functional offense without a great pure passer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Auburn has lost a lot of talent since that FSU lost in 2013, too. But, IMO, that goes to recruiting. Not coaching. Even this past season he was starting a new QB, RB, WRs, and a couple OLinemen. With parity in the NFL the talent gap shouldn't be as ridiculous. Sorry, I don't overly give credit to coaching staffs who win consistently when they clearly have more talent than their competition.

And Muschamp is interviewing for Head Coaching positions (probably gets the South Carolina job) and has previous relationships with others who are now in position to bring him in.

I like Dak Prescott in this offense. And again, I believe he's more impressive of an athlete than you do. Though Brissett seems more McNabb like to me, he and the others would be options, too. Pryor was a given to compete. But, since he just signed to a NFL team just last week I didn't list him as a major signing.

I'd say McNabb is Brissett's ceiling. My realistic comparison for him is Jason Campbell. But Campbell was a good backup/spot starter for years. Would be fine with that in a 3rd/4th round QB.

With Dak, I've watched quite a bit and I don't see him running away from college players the way I'd expect a great athlete at QB would.

As for recruiting, that's part of his job in college. But even if it's a recruiting problem, if he's an elite HC, shouldn't he be able to find lower ranked guys that fit his scheme and help them to excel? I mean...if the guy is a really special mind, you'd think he could identify talent he needs that other teams overlooked, plug them in his scheme, and win.

Mark Dantonio has done it for years at Michigan State. Oregon was doing it for quite awhile under Chip Kelly.

Like I said, I need to see Malzahn turn it around before I can support him. Just one man's opinion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
As for recruiting, that's part of his job in college. But even if it's a recruiting problem, if he's an elite HC, shouldn't he be able to find lower ranked guys that fit his scheme and help them to excel? I mean...if the guy is a really special mind, you'd think he could identify talent he needs that other teams overlooked, plug them in his scheme, and win.

Mark Dantonio has done it for years at Michigan State. Oregon was doing it for quite awhile under Chip Kelly.

Like I said, I need to see Malzahn turn it around before I can support him. Just one man's opinion.

He has. But, when has that ever happened consistently in the SEC?