Monson: Tru Johnson Among Top 5 Free Agents to Get Overpaid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru is definitely not worth the money he will get IMO. We kept the wrong guy last year - nothing to be done about it now though.

We'll pressure the QB more frequently under Phillips IMO and as such, I would be okay with letting TruJo walk.

FRO

Legend
My stance last year was that we should tag Janoris and try to re-sign Johnson.

But as we stand here today, I am torn on whether to keep Johnson or not. The price matters. The secondary won't be a big mess if we prioritize it. The FA CB class has some depth to it, and the CB class in the Draft is incredible.

Worst case scenario, we don't address CB in FA, use our money to solve other needs, and then go to town at CB in the draft.
My stance last year was to retain two of the three free agent DBs. I knew all couldn't be retained. I also felt Janoris was the better CB, but things happened. For me to go from having Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, and McDonald as starters in a young talented backfield to having them all gone in two years is horrific. You have to retain your young talented entering their prime starters. CBs with Johnson's size and ability are rare and hard to replace. With limited draft choices and a putrid offense there is no need to open more holes on the roster.

lockdnram21

Legend
My stance last year was to retain two of the three free agent DBs. I knew all couldn't be retained. I also felt Janoris was the better CB, but things happened. For me to go from having Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, and McDonald as starters in a young talented backfield to having them all gone in two years is horrific. You have to retain your young talented entering their prime starters. CBs with Johnson's size and ability are rare and hard to replace. With limited draft choices and a putrid offense there is no need to open more holes on the roster.
Either way he's not worth what he will command

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yup he's one of the top 5 CBS and went to pro bowl
Also an all-pro.

"The best example of this is the fact that Dez Bryant recorded a combined two receptions for 15 yards in two games against Jenkins and the Giants."

"NYG CB Janoris Jenkins has had majority coverage on AJ Green, Antonio Brown & Dez Bryant (twice) this season. None have gone over 68 yards.

— Adam Levitan (@adamlevitan) January 5, 2017"

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-giants-six-players-named-to-nfl-all-pro-teams-010617?amp=true

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You can't blame the Rams. They went all out to keep him. Their $9m per year offer was just short of the mark.