Mocks draft as of 10/4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I keep seeing mocks with us picking in the 15-20 range and we take Quinten Nelson from Notre Dame. That's definitely a pick that would help the OLine a ton.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Saffold, but he's making a ton of money, which is needed for re-signing Donald and Watkins, among others. I love how Sullivan is playing, but he'll be 32 at the end of the season, and he's had injury concerns for quite some time. That's why it's obvious.Fair point on Tru. I disagree on Tree and Mo. Mo's worth a lot as a backup safety, and Tree has the potential to imrpove.

It been around 3 wks since your post & things have changed a little bit IMO. Sammy Watkins is trending negative & if his play continues there is Zero reason to sign him to a fat high $$ contract period. AD is a different story.

Ref the 6-4 325 pound 29 yr old 8 yr starter Rodger Saffold & he being a possible cut material in March:thinking:....1st thing that comes to my mind here who do the Rams have on the roster who is line to fill the LG post? No one comes to my small mind . Kromer could flip Jamon Brown back to the left side but JB has been settling in well this month of October & I sure would not want to mess with this positive improvement trending. But in truth JB is the only real true LG prospect.

Andrew Donnal is the next prospect who could fill the LG post. AD has played & started on the left side @ LG & LT in his first 2 seasons. But does play much better on the right side not the left. Kromer could go with Brown @ LG & Donnal @ RG in 2018. Its also possible that the 6-5 305 pound reserve LT Darrell Williams could be considered @ LG too. But DW has never played OG always LT.

Snead will have ( 4) FOUR presently signed Ram OL'ers involved in Free Agency in March only one being a starter. If you cut Saffold the Rams depth is zero. Not something you want to do to a QB like Goff. We have seen how Goff plays when his OL is below par & its UGLY!

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It been around 3 wks since your post & things have changed a little bit IMO. Sammy Watkins is trending negative & if his play continues there is Zero reason to sign him to a fat high $$ contract period. AD is a different story.

Ref the 6-4 325 pound 29 yr old 8 yr starter Rodger Saffold & he being a possible cut material in March:thinking:....1st thing that comes to my mind here who do the Rams have on the roster who is line to fill the LG post? No one comes to my small mind . Kromer could flip Jamon Brown back to the left side but JB has been settling in well this month of October & I sure would not want to mess with this positive improvement trending. But in truth JB is the only real true LG prospect.

Andrew Donnal is the next prospect who could fill the LG post. AD has played & started on the left side @ LG & LT in his first 2 seasons. But does play much better on the right side not the left. Kromer could go with Brown @ LG & Donnal @ RG in 2018. Its also possible that the 6-5 305 pound reserve LT Darrell Williams could be considered @ LG too. But DW has never played OG always LT.

Snead will have ( 4) FOUR presently signed Ram OL'ers involved in Free Agency in March only one being a starter. If you cut Saffold the Rams depth is zero. Not something you want to do to a QB like Goff. We have seen how Goff plays when his OL is below par & its UGLY!

It's looking like a deep draft class for OT's in 2018 should McVay/Kromer wish to bite on Whitworth's eventual replacement. Kramer likes the big guys, so assuming someone like Orlando Brown is still on the board when we draft late in the first, Saffold should be easily tradable if he remains healthy, the team would save some $6.5mil in 2018 CAP and we'd have compensation from his trade most likely in the form of another draft pick. The new LT prospect would play LG until Whitworth retired. Blythe, Donnal, perhaps even one of the reserve OT's like Williams or Lucas could cross-train at LG for the back-up role.

Which 4 offensive linemen are you looking at as heading into free agency, I only count Sullivan, Williams & Lucas, ... and Williams is an RFA, so doubtful he's going anywhere. I have no doubt Sullivan will be re-signed, so that only leaves Lucas, a guy no-one has seen take a single snap. Saffold, Brown, Donnal & Havenstein are signed thru 2018. Both Whitworth & Blythe are signed thru 2019.

Proposed 2018 Offensive Line (8) :

LT - Whitworth, Orlando Brown, D.Williams
LG - Orlando Brown, Donnal, Blythe
C - Sullivan, Blythe
RG - Jamon Brown, Donnal, Blythe
RT - Havenstein, D.Williams, Donnal

+

Bring C/OG Aaron Neary up from the Practice Squad and draft an OG/C somewhere to compete for the 9'th and final position on the unit. I trust Kromer to find someone to develop, whether a free agent or later round draftee. I wouldn't be surprised if McVay made a play for Washington free agent Spencer Long either.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's looking like a deep draft class for OT's in 2018 should McVay/Kromer wish to bite on Whitworth's eventual replacement. Kramer likes the big guys, so assuming someone like Orlando Brown is still on the board when we draft late in the first, Saffold should be easily tradable if he remains healthy, the team would save some $6.5mil in 2018 CAP and we'd have compensation from his trade most likely in the form of another draft pick. The new LT prospect would play LG until Whitworth retired. Blythe, Donnal, perhaps even one of the reserve OT's like Williams or Lucas could cross-train at LG for the back-up role.

Which 4 offensive linemen are you looking at as heading into free agency, I only count Sullivan, Williams & Lucas, ... and Williams is an RFA, so doubtful he's going anywhere. I have no doubt Sullivan will be re-signed, so that only leaves Lucas, a guy no-one has seen take a single snap. Saffold, Brown, Donnal & Havenstein are signed thru 2018. Both Whitworth & Blythe are signed thru 2019.

Proposed 2018 Offensive Line (8) :

LT - Whitworth, Orlando Brown, D.Williams
LG - Orlando Brown, Donnal, Blythe
C - Sullivan, Blythe
RG - Jamon Brown, Donnal, Blythe
RT - Havenstein, D.Williams, Donnal

+

Bring C/OG Aaron Neary up from the Practice Squad and draft an OG/C somewhere to compete for the 9'th and final position on the unit. I trust Kromer to find someone to develop, whether a free agent or later round draftee. I wouldn't be surprised if McVay made a play for Washington free agent Spencer Long either.
jmo.
Hey good late Saturday morning to you hows the river this weekend?

The Ram signed OL'ers under contract that I was posting on & will be involved one or another with free agency are #1-Sullivan #2-Lucas #3 Neary & #4- Williams. In less than 16 months from now #1-Saffold,#2-Havenstien, #3 Brown & #4 Donnal will all be UFA's ! 3 of which are starters. So the point I would want to bring out that's 8 of 10 contracted present OL that will be involved in free agency in less than 16 months. Only one of the 8 is a RFA.

Sure do not want to wait to get your future Ram OL emergency plans ready for whats coming around the corner in this now fully functioning OL. Before now it was never a big concern because the OL was a mess & keeping a mess is not something you plan to do.

....my my how things changed in the OL since September of this season:sneaky:. I would not take any of these upcoming UFA as sure bona fide resign like you said on Sullivan....Everybody thought in the NFL world that it was certain that LT Andrew Whitworth would resign with the Bengals ........:oops:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All right, I guess I should put a mock offseason here, since @Riverumbbq did.

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - 6 years, 12 million per year.
Sammy Watkins - 6 years, 11 million per year.
Alec Ogletree - 4 years, 6 million per year.
Lamarcus Joyner - 4 years, 5 million per year.
Nickel Robey-Coleman - 3 years, 4 million per year.
Maurice Alexander - 1 year, 3 million per year.
Jake McQuaide - 3 years, 1 million per year.
Matt Longacre - RFA
Malcolm Brown - RFA
Darrell Williams - RFA

(Obvious choices. I know that Mo is struggling right now, but a one-year contract for a guy who has played good in the past and can play both safety spots is very valuable. McQuaide is Mr. Reliable when it comes to long-snappers. NRC is a top nickelback. Ogletree, I expect to get out of his slump. Joyner can man the free safety position for the next four years. Donald and Watkins are obvious extensions. Longacre, Brown, and Williams are obvious choices to keep as RFAs.)

Cut:

Robert Quinn
Rodger Saffold
Ethan Westbrooks
Mark Barron

(I dislike having to cut Barron, but he saves us a ton of money, and he's too light for linebacker anyway - as I don't believe that he can consistently play strong safety. I'd give that spot to JJ3. Westbrooks lost my support after his arrest, and I don't think he fits in Wade's system anyway. Quinn and Saffold are obvious.)

Release:

Trumaine Johnson
Troy Hill
Connor Barwin
John Sullivan
Cody Davis
Dominique Easley
Tyrunn Walker
Lance Dunbar
Derek Carrier
Cornelius Lucas
Bradley Marquez

(Tru can find another place willing to pay him money. Hill, I dislike, and he's not a good cornerback, so he is released. Barwin is ineffective, and as much as I like Sullivan, I worry for his health. Davis is replaced by depth, Easley is injured, Walker is replaced by depth (Omarius Bryant is my choice), Dunbar won't re-sign after this year, Carrier is replaced by Hemingway, and Lucas and Marquez are mere depth.)

Free Agency:

Weston Richberg (center) - 5 years, 7 million per year.
Malcolm Butler (cornerback) - 5 years, 7 million per year.

(Richberg solves the center rpoblems, while Butler takes over the number one cornerback job.)

Trade:

Tavon Austin to Baltimore Ravens for second round pick.

(It's no secret that Baltimore lacks playmakers for Flacco. This gives them a playmaker for a second round pick that probably won't have the same impact that Austin will.)

Sean Mannion and fifth round pick to the Miami Dolphins for fourth round pick.

(The Dolphins QB situation is a total mess. Tannehill is terrible, Cutler will likely retire, and they have nothing behind them. I like Mannion, but let's get something for him.)

Draft:

1 - Trey Adams, LT, Washington.

2 (Ravens) - Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa.

3 - Iman Marshall, CB, USC.

4 (Dolphins) - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT/OG, Western Michigan.

4 - Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas.

6 (Lions) - Sione Teuhema, OLB, Southeast Louisiana.

6 (Bills) - Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida.

6 - Jake Browning, QB, Washington.

7 (Ravens) - Terry Beckner Jr., DE, Missouri.

(Jewell has been rated all over the place, as has Marshall, Adams, and Okorafor. I view him as a second round pick, but there's a chance he goes higher. Adams is a solid left tackle who will likely succeed Whitworth. Adams is a consistent first round pick except on CBS, where he's an early fourth round pick. I view Okorafor as a potential first round pick, but he's extremely raw, which is going to make him fall a bit. Malik Jefferson apparently does't have a love for football, but I'm willing to scoop him up because of his talent. Callaway is the Austin replacement, and has bhome run potential every time he touches the ball. The only concern is off-the-field, which is major. Teuhema is an underrated outside linebacker who played through an ACL injury and still produced. Browning is the Mannion replacement. Marshall competes with Webster. He's been rated from first to third, so I think that he's a third. And it wouldn't be a Memento mock draft without a homer pick. I think that Beckner Jr. is like a lesser version of Easley. He's been injured and suspended for marijuana, but he's a very talented player.)
Waaaay too early to start talking Cuts / Releases! JMHO

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Waaaay too early to start talking Cuts / Releases! JMHO

Probably, but for the last few years this process began as early as a game or two into the season. What a difference between the Fisher era and the opening salvos from the McVay era.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hey good late Saturday morning to you hows the river this weekend?

The Ram signed OL'ers under contract that I was posting on & will be involved one or another with free agency are #1-Sullivan #2-Lucas #3 Neary & #4- Williams. In less than 16 months from now #1-Saffold,#2-Havenstien, #3 Brown & #4 Donnal will all be UFA's ! 3 of which are starters. So the point I would want to bring out that's 8 of 10 contracted present OL that will be involved in free agency in less than 16 months. Only one of the 8 is a RFA.

Sure do not want to wait to get your future Ram OL emergency plans ready for whats coming around the corner in this now fully functioning OL. Before now it was never a big concern because the OL was a mess & keeping a mess is not something you plan to do.

....my my how things changed in the OL since September of this season:sneaky:. I would not take any of these upcoming UFA as sure bona fide resign like you said on Sullivan....Everybody thought in the NFL world that it was certain that LT Andrew Whitworth would resign with the Bengals ........:oops:

Unfortunately, i'm late to the River this season, ... usually arrive in early/mid October, looks like I may not get there until just prior to Christmas this year, so still stuck in L.A.. Normally it's Oct - May at the River, June thru Oct. in L.A.

Well, ... in my scenario, only the Havenstein & Jamon Brown contracts will be of any concern, and we would have all of 2018 & early 2019 to get them re-signed. At worst, the Rams will have all 7 of their draft picks for the first time since McVay arrived available for 2019, also keep in mind that Spencer Long has played both LG & Center for Washington under McVay.