Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams don't have any Safeties under contract who were drafted before the 6th round.
Jason Taylor didn't do anything as a rookie.. but is a hell of an athlete and may be just learning. Took Lake a minute as well.
I'm just trying to refocus and sharpen my draft perspectives.. I guess all this, along with the Curl signing, would make me doubtful of them drafting a safety this year before the 5th round.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
That’s what my thought was as well. He’d be a great pick.

Overall, I can see the Rams trading up for their guy (regardless of position), as long as it was after the top ten. To move into the top ten? Possibly Turner.
I think Turner has a real chance to go at 8, Falcons have loaded up their offense and now need to start adding D, similar to us. I don't want us moving up that far personally, would cost far too much.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The Rams don't have any Safeties under contract who were drafted before the 6th round.
Jason Taylor didn't do anything as a rookie.. but is a hell of an athlete and may be just learning. Took Lake a minute as well.
I'm just trying to refocus and sharpen my draft perspectives.. I guess all this, along with the Curl signing, would make me doubtful of them drafting a safety this year before the 5th round.
Yeah, not likely but with as many holes as we have on D, would not be shocked if there was a BPA pick there too at a higher round.

Other than ILB (and I know I see this differently than others) there isn't one position on D that couldn't be upgraded with a draft pick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This could be a way

pfn-logo

NFL-team-logo

Johnny Newton DT Illinois
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M
NFL-team-logo

Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Cole Bishop S Utah
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Johnny Wilson WR Florida State
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Austin Booker EDGE Kansas
NFL-team-logo

Isaac Guerendo RB Louisville
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Sione Vaki S Utah
NFL-team-logo

Drake Nugent OC Michigan
NFL-team-logo

Anim Dankwah OT Howard
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Cam Little K Arkansas

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
This could be a way

pfn-logo

NFL-team-logo

Johnny Newton DT Illinois
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M
NFL-team-logo

Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Cole Bishop S Utah
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Johnny Wilson WR Florida State
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Austin Booker EDGE Kansas
NFL-team-logo

Isaac Guerendo RB Louisville
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Sione Vaki S Utah
NFL-team-logo

Drake Nugent OC Michigan
NFL-team-logo

Anim Dankwah OT Howard
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Cam Little K Arkansas
I'd be doing backflips.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If the draft fell this way, they should take Mitchell (or Fautanu) and simply giggle with giddiness into the 2nd round.
I like Mitchell and 19 in this scenario too. I like Murphy a lot but not sure I love him and not sure it's an exact fit for what we need at DT.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like Mitchell and 19 in this scenario too. I like Murphy a lot but not sure I love him and not sure it's an exact fit for what we need at DT.
I like Newton more than I like Murphy. But I would take one of the CBs (Mitchell, Arnold, DeJean), one of the top EDGEs (Turner, Latu, or Verse), and OT Fautanu over both of them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like Newton more than I like Murphy. But I would take one of the CBs (Mitchell, Arnold, DeJean), one of the top EDGEs (Turner, Latu, or Verse), and OT Fautanu over both of them.
I'd take all the pass rushers you mentioned and think I'm even on Murphy vs Arnold/Mitchell right now. I'd probably take him before Dejean though.

Regardless, I do think we can pick up a good D prospect at 19 if we decide to stay there. Gonna be tough, gonna be some good prospects at 19, maybe a surprise or two (for us, prob not for teams).

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd take all the pass rushers you mentioned and think I'm even on Murphy vs Arnold/Mitchell right now. I'd probably take him before Dejean though.

Regardless, I do think we can pick up a good D prospect at 19 if we decide to stay there. Gonna be tough, gonna be some good prospects at 19, maybe a surprise or two (for us, prob not for teams).
I still marvel at how Murphy gets so much love playing next Sweat and playing almost half the snaps Newton played.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I still marvel at how Murphy gets so much love playing next Sweat and playing almost half the snaps Newton played.
I haven't really spent much time looking at DT's in the draft for obvious reasons but it's my understanding is that scouts are enamored with how much teams game planned for Murphy. All blocking assignments started with him.

This will be a position I personally will probably know jack-sh*t about other than what scouts say and tape they put out this year.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I haven't really spent much time looking at DT's in the draft for obvious reasons but it's my understanding is that scouts are enamored with how much teams game planned for Murphy. All blocking assignments started with him.

This will be a position I personally will probably know jack-sh*t about other than what scouts say and tape they put out this year.
I hear ya. All you can do is watch film and listen to the people you think they know what they are talking about. And sometimes, just watching a player gives you that feeling that that dude is the real deal.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I hear ya. All you can do is watch film and listen to the people you think they know what they are talking about. And sometimes, just watching a player gives you that feeling that that dude is the real deal.
I try to pick a few guys and watch a few games but that's just not really feasible a ton of times. I'm not as independently wealthy as I would like.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
1. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

View: https://youtu.be/ujqiBFPpG-Q?si=ss2yXaLFz-gNl77p

2. Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

View: https://youtu.be/IopjjHIOEeI?si=6hu9XevpuyR8YI7q

3. Austin Booker, EDGE, Kansas State

View: https://youtu.be/u3q0dRTsfsM?si=91PBtsiXGyaTpLSZ

3. Tykee Smith, STAR, Georgia

View: https://youtu.be/t3LgXpARMEs?si=Zzyjtad-ZFSaPx-V

Here I've got base nickel defense where both Cooper (w/ Earnest Jones) and Smith stay on the field 90+ percent of the time as the former has the speed to run with anyone and the latter plays the run better than some LBs. Booker is added to the rotation to keep them fresh and even allows for Latu to move inside during some obvious passing situations and embarrass guards from time to time like he did in college.

The DLine? Kobie takes Donald's spot (Desjuan Johnson subs), Brown III is at NT, and the remaining spot and depth can be filled by day three selections (like Bama's Eboigde) and vet free agents.

The team plays a 3-4 defense in which Donald, while a great player, was a luxury. But while Donald's are hard to find, solid (they don't have to be great) interior DLinemen are much easier to locate, and you can build a successful defense with a good coordinator. Especially, if the offense is putting up a buttload of points.

i love this strategy. If you can land Latu at 19 and Cooper at 52, which could easily happen and are about my favorite first two picks, you’d have loads of options on which way to go next. I like a trade up from 83 to try and land a starting CB or S. They will be there then. Then I’d hope a WR like Wilson from FSU would still be there at 99.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Half the snaps but almost the same production as Newton? Murphy seemed to get as many double teams as Sweat did, if not more. I like both Murphy and Newton, but the snap count argument isn't that effective based on production. Give Murphy as many snaps as Newton and his production would likely warrant a top 10 pick. For example, a good indicator of pass rushing effectiveness is hurries. In 749 snaps, Newton had 28 hurries (15.4% win rate), which is excellent for an interior pass rusher. Murphy had 438 snaps, 36 hurries and an insane 19.6% pass rush win rate.

Also if comparing them side by side, Murphy played against much better competition. I like them both, I just think Murphy is the superior talent.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Half the snaps but almost the same production as Newton? Murphy seemed to get as many double teams as Sweat did, if not more. I like both Murphy and Newton, but the snap count argument isn't that effective based on production. Give Murphy as many snaps as Newton and his production would likely warrant a top 10 pick. For example, a good indicator of pass rushing effectiveness is hurries. In 749 snaps, Newton had 28 hurries (15.4% win rate), which is excellent for an interior pass rusher. Murphy had 438 snaps, 36 hurries and an insane 19.6% pass rush win rate.

Also if comparing them side by side, Murphy played against much better competition. I like them both, I just think Murphy is the superior talent.
I think it was over half his snaps last year were double teams for Murphy.

Memphis Ram

Legend

It's possible that if Murphy had as many snaps as Newton he would be as effective.

It's also possible that if Newton played as few snaps as Murphy and were fresher, he'd be more productive in comparison to Murphy.

But my guess is Newton would probably be even more productive either way if he didn't play his final 6 games with a broken bone in his foot.

Last edited: