Mike Vrabel?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, one could surmise if ESK is really convinced The Patriot Way is best, Josh McDaniels could be the next Head Coach with Nick Caserio as the General Manager and Mike Vrable as Defensive Coordinator, would then create a Patriot Way West.

McDaniels is not Belichick. I doubt he can recreate the same dynasty. Bill is super smart and has a great memory and has control over every aspect of his team. I think Patricia is more likely to be able to duplicate that sort of controlled organizational scenario.

FRO

Legend
Could be a DC interview disguised as a HC interview. Maybe one of the other HC candidates brought up his name.
Thought the same exact thing. I think one of the New England guys brought his name up as a potential DC and the Rams are digging into it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. IF that's what they're doing. I am not so sure about that suddenly.
Well out of the open positions, nobody has filled one yet, right? And the Rams are seemingly the ones doing significant more interviewing than anyone else. I think they are being pragmatic and taking full advantage of the system

Ram65

Legend
Found this comment on Vrabel in the comment section of Prime's link.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...erview-mike-vrabel-for-head-coaching-vacancy/

He is exactly what the Rams need. Clowney's ringing endorsement about teaching the defense how to read and react shows Vrabel is a teacher and players listen to him. He would be a good choice as DC if Rams go 3-4 or not. I know, hate the Patsies but Vrabel was always around the ball on defense. Could be one the Patsie candidate's choice. The plot thickens.:thinking::thinking:

QCsteel55 says:Jan 9, 2017 8:05 AM

It was pretty interesting listening to Clowney, after the game Saturday, attributing his development to Mike Vrabel. He said that Vrabel constantly challenges him and throws a heafty load of info at the guys as far how to read and react to plays. Clowney was very enthusiastic and thankful in his praises of Vrabel in his post-game interview on the field..

I sometimes wonder if owners, front office types etc are just like us and watch the televised games, read the same articles, check out advanced stats websites, listen to the pundits, read sports writers, listen to players and coaches interviews, and come to the same conclusions as we?

Because after listening to Clowney, i too was very impressed of his assesment of Vrabel as well as Clowney seeming to finally “get it” on how to prepare. The results as showing.. now just imagine if him and Watt could actually stay heathly in the same season. It’s crazy how good the Texans have been with no QB. 9-7 three straight years?

As far as the Rams, hopefully they finally get a solid coach

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I'd be thrilled with him as the DC. Personally, I'd love to see the Rams hire Patricia as the HC and have Vrabel as the DC. I wouldn't complain about McDaniels, but I wouldn't be as enthusiastic. Patricia just has that no BS look about him where I feel like he isn't gonna go off on tangents, yell, and be a baby like we've seen McDaniels do.

Truth be told, I don't care who we hire as long as they make us WINNERS (obviously)!!!

jap

Legend
Or doing their "Due Diligence"

Cant see why they would be interviewing DC candidates without a current HC, nor going thru the trouble of asking for permission to do so. So why not pull the HC card and all bets are off. Seems like a smart use of the system IMO

Perhaps they already have a HC candidate in mind. Perhaps Don Kroenke plans to make him an offer he can't refuse. If he is stupid enough to refuse, perhaps the said HC candidate will be sleeping with the fishes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McDaniels is not Belichick. I doubt he can recreate the same dynasty. Bill is super smart and has a great memory and has control over every aspect of his team. I think Patricia is more likely to be able to duplicate that sort of controlled organizational scenario.

Dynasty? Welp, I don't want to be greedy or anything so at this point I would settle for the same head coach for five years with a few playoff appearances to include a deep run or two.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Dynasty? Welp, I don't want to be greedy or anything so at this point I would settle for the same head coach for five years with a few playoff appearances to include a deep run or two.

I don't have faith in McDaniels. He thought Tebow was worth a first round pick for crying out loud. He is too inflexible for my liking and what has he proven? He runs everything Bills way. That is the problem with Patriot assistants. It is difficult to discern who really gets the credit. Based on McDaniels first go round, I give the credit to Belichick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Be cool to see Vrabel as DC esp if we get McDaniels or Patricia.

Like many members here I desire a strong offensive minded HC to get our current biggest investment QB Goff(who needs a ton of serious assistance)up & producing ASAP before finishes his last season under contract in 2019. Goff's first of his four seasons is already completed.

However IF when all is said & done & the Rams end up with Patricia as our HC & Vrabel as our DC I would be :yay:for joy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like many members here I desire a strong offensive minded HC to get our current biggest investment QB Goff(who needs a ton of serious assistance)up & producing ASAP before finishes his last season under contract in 2019. Goff's first of his four seasons is already completed.

However IF when all is said & done & the Rams end up with Patricia as our HC & Vrabel as our DC I would be :yay:for joy.

Agreed that we need a coach or OC that can develop and maximize Goff's talent. McDaniel came along after Brady was killing it. Somehow he is thought of as a good QB coach?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-mike-vrabel-dc-and-keeping-romeo-crennel/

Report: Texans making Mike Vrabel DC and keeping Romeo Crennel
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 18, 2017

487043408.jpg
Getty Images

Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel seems to be a rising star in the coaching ranks, but the Texans already a strong defensive coordinator.

They seem to have found a way to keep both sides happy.

According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, the Texans are promoting the 41-year-old Vrabel to defensive coordinator, while keeping 69-year-old coordinator Romeo Crennel on staff.

That likely means kicking Crennel upstairs to an assistant head-coach position, which might help head coach Bill O’Brien spend more time on the offense after firing coordinator George Godsey.

Vrabel turned down a chance to be defensive coordinator for the 49ers last offseason, and interviewed for the Rams head coaching job this year. With a rising profile, the Texans probably had to offer him something nice to keep him around.

But Crennel has done such good work for so long that keeping him around is also wise, as the defense is the one thing the Texans can count on over the last three seasons. His contract expired this year, and O’Brien made it clear he wanted Crennel back.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-mike-vrabel-dc-and-keeping-romeo-crennel/

487043408.jpg
Getty Images

Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel seems to be a rising star in the coaching ranks, but the Texans already a strong defensive coordinator.

According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, the Texans are promoting the 41-year-old Vrabel to defensive coordinator, while keeping 69-year-old coordinator Romeo Crennel on staff.

That likely means kicking Crennel upstairs to an assistant head-coach position, which might help head coach Bill O’Brien spend more time on the offense after firing coordinator George Godsey.

Vrabel turned down a chance to be defensive coordinator for the 49ers last offseason, and interviewed for the Rams head coaching job this year. With a rising profile, the Texans probably had to offer him something nice to keep him around.

But Crennel has done such good work for so long that keeping him around is also wise, as the defense is the one thing the Texans can count on over the last three seasons. His contract expired this year, and O’Brien made it clear he wanted Crennel back.
I think this is a great move by the Texans, I wish them luck because of it, EXCEPT WHEN THEY PLAY THE RAMS OF COURSE!!:D:LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

487043408.jpg
Getty Images

This is a great move for Vrabel. It'll get him even more HC interest in the coming years, and he'll get to learn how to be a DC with the training wheels on (Romeo Crennel mentoring him).