Mike Tomlin - Spit in Beard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I found this hilarious... well at least LT’s commentary on it;

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I asked my GF (PITT fan) what she thought that was... she thought it was a drink that froze (it was very cold).

I'm gonna stick with that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/

Source: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change
Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2018

Plenty of Steelers fans currently are upset with the performance of coach Mike Tomlin, given the team’s inability to get back to the Super Bowl or, more specifically, to get past the Patriots. (And now the Jaguars.) A small group of Steelers fans who own pieces of the franchise’s equity are particularly miffed with Tomlin — sufficiently miffed that they want to see a change get made.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, some of the team’s limited partners intend to lobby owner Art Rooney to fire of Tomlin and to hire a new coach.

The limited partners, who became involved nearly a decade ago as member of the Rooney family sold their interest in the team after acquiring gaming interests that violate league policy, have no authority over the management of the team, but they have a pipeline to owner Art Rooney. Per the source, they plan to utilize it.

The group of limited partners includes Rob Citrone, Paul Evanson, Larry Paul, Stephen Paul, Bruce Rauner, Paul Sams, John Stallworh, Benjamin Statler, Scott Swank, David Tepper, Thomas Tull, Peter Varischetti, and Mike Wilkins.

The concerns relate to the increasingly obvious issues with decision-making in key moments of the game, also known as “situational football.” The absence of a plan in the final seconds of the loss last month to the Patriots was one thing; the frittering away of the final 47 seconds on Sunday against the Jaguars, when Pittsburgh was five yards from the end zone and down 10 points, only made it worse. (The source specifically pointed to those key 47 seconds, noting that the players were moving without any real sense of urgency as the clock was ticking and the Steelers needed two scores.)

The limited partners who will be pushing for a new coach also are concerned about the team’s lack of discipline, with last year’s Facebook Live fiasco from receiver Antonio Brown a prime example of it.

Tomlin drew criticism from many in November for talking openly about meeting the Patriots both in the regular season and in the playoffs, before Pittsburgh had even clinched a postseason berth. One of Tomlin’s key players, running back Le'Veon Bell, proclaimed via social media after New England beat Tennessee on Saturday night that the Steelers would have a pair of regular-season rematches in the playoffs — one against the Jaguars on Sunday and another against the Patriots the following Sunday.

Yes, Tomlin has won a Super Bowl and taken the team to another one. But the last appearance in the NFL title game came seven years ago; there’s currently a sense that the Steelers are underachieving under Tomlin. As one source observed, Pittsburgh would be undefeated if Bill Belichick were the coach, given the talent on the roster.

The Steelers have had only three coaches since 1969, with Chuck Noll yielding in 1992 to Bill Cowher, who resigned after the 2006 season. It’s believed by some that Art Rooney II preferred Russ Grimm as the replacement for Cowher, but that the late Dan Rooney wanted Tomlin.

Now that Art II is running the team, Art II can make the call on whether to change coaches. While it’s not believed he’ll give the limited partners’ plea any credence on its own, if Art II already is thinking about making a change, the coming effort by the limited partners to advocate for change could at least be a factor.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Who ever made those Play Calls on 4th down, and decided to make that on-sides Kick should be Fired!!!! JMO!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If he didn't dye that thing Elvis Jet Black... the liquid would have just dropped away with gravity. That shit wasn't natural hanging there like that... the chemicals were reacting together somehow.

His beard reminds me of that new Family Feud Host's ridiculously dyed mustache.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Steve Harvey

stev-harvey-mustache.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A lot of folks complain about their teams coach. I hear lots of bitching about Tomlin's lack of game day coaching skill.
But, I think Steelers fans should be careful what they wish for. Finding a better replacement who has that Steelers vibe won't be so easy to do. Part of why the Steelers hang onto coaches so long is that they know what they want in a head coach and it isn't always available. Plus when you get your guy, he usually sticks.

Psycho_X

Legend
Might soon be time to move on from Tomlin but at this stage of the game, with Roethlisberger turning 36 in a couple of months, they might as well wait until he decides to hang it up or they are ready to move on from him and let a new coach start over instead of having to appease an old QB and old systems.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/17/m...-todd-haley-offseason-changes-mmqb-peter-king

By PETER KING

There are quite a few reasons why Mike Tomlin should not be fired—and will not be—as coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Let me give you 10:

1. The Rooney family is sane.

2. The Rooney family reads the paper and hears the voice of the fan, but allows neither to dictate family business.

3. You don’t fire a head coach after a 13-4 season, unless the locker room is in flames.

4. You don’t fire a head coach after winning 48 games in four seasons, unless the locker room is in flames.

5. The locker room is not in flames.

6. The Steelers have made their living, and built their success over the past half-century, on stability. The three head coaches in the past 49 seasons have lasted, in order, 23 years (Chuck Noll), 15 (Bill Cowher) and 11 (Tomlin). Noll was 4-0 in Super Bowls, Cowher 1-1, and Tomlin is 1-1.

7. Winning percentage of Pittsburgh coaches since Noll’s hire in 1969: Tomlin .649, Cowher .619, Noll .572.

8. Tomlin is cold and calculating when he and the organization feel it’s necessary; Bruce Arians, Dick LeBeau and James Harrison will tell you that. By and large, players like playing for him, and players play very hard for him.

9. Tomlin has coached 11 seasons and never had a losing one. One other man who’s been a head coach that long hasn’t had a losing season since 2007: Bill Belichick.

10. Who exactly would the Steelers get to replace Tomlin? And don’t give me “ANYONE!” Five of the best candidates in what’s considered a lousy year for candidates (which I don’t agree with) are already spoken for.

So ask yourself: Pick a coach you can get. Jim Schwartz? Jim Bob Cooter? Steve Wilks? James Bettcher? I am not maligning them in the least. I am just asking if, as a Steeler partisan, you’d like one of those coaches over Tomlin.

Tomlin would be foolish to take president Art Rooney II’s looming vote of confidence (if one is coming) as an everything’s-fine mandate. Tomlin may need to fire offensive coordinator Todd Haley; whatever happens on the offensive staff, a team with this talent has to be better than eighth in scoring and 20th in rushing yards.

Though Tomlin may well keep the defensive staff intact, something’s got to be done about the 28th-rated red zone defense, and allowing 4.4 yards per rush. Leonard Fournette has twice shown that run defense is broken.

More than that, Tomlin should fix two other things about this team. One starts with himself. I thought it was cute and would play well in his own locker room when before playing the Patriots in December he was already talking about the rematch in the playoffs. Cute, until his players—Mike Mitchell, Le’Veon Bell—began talking about it openly. It’s dumb.

It's not the reason the Steelers lost to Jacksonville, but it just shows an immaturity that a big-time team shouldn’t show. The Steelers were terrible in the first 20 minutes of the Jacksonville playoff game. Terrible. It’s a cliché and just wrong to say it’s because some on the team were so chatty about the rematch with New England. But Tomlin shouldn’t give his players the leeway to talk crap by starting the talk himself.

I also think the offense has to be more disciplined. Sloppy play at the end of the game against New England—even with the very close replay reversal on the Jesse James catch-no catch at the goal line—cost them dearly. On second-and-10 with no timeouts left at the Patriots 10, Darrius Heyward-Bey caught a crossing route going across the middle and couldn’t get out of bounds. Tick, tick, tick.

There was clear confusion about what the call should be on third-and-goal from the seven, ridiculous confusion, and when the Steelers had a chip-shot field goal to send the game to overtime, for some reason Roethlisberger threw a contested pass into the end zone that was intercepted. Game over—instead of making a safe throw and, if it was incomplete, kicking the field goal and going to overtime. It looked completely disjointed, totally disorganized.

So Tomlin needs to fix that too. He knows he has a few broken things, and the man with the best winning percentage in franchise history should be allowed to fix them.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Tomlin needs to fix that too. He knows he has a few broken things, and the man with the best winning percentage in franchise history should be allowed to fix them.

He's a good coach... but, like the above says, he has things he must improve upon.

Although his winning percentage is solid, his playoff record lately is not solid:
2014: 11-5, lost in the Wild Card round
2015: 10-6, lost in the Divisional round
2016: 11-5, lost in the Conference championship
2017: 13-3, lost in the Divisional round

Like the article says, he's 1-1 in Super Bowls..

It's always funny to me... if a team has not been winning in quite some time, when they do start winning, fans are more accepting of "bumps in the road".

Obviously, our Rams are a current example. We fans (I know at least me) didn't expect what happened this year. They far exceeded most fan's expectations so that - when they lost in the Wild Card game - I think most fans accepted that and understood that the future is bright.

But, if a team has a consistent record of successful seasons and gets into the playoffs consistently, I think fans become more demanding that they at least get into the Super Bowl. The expectations are just ratcheted up.

So, what do you do in that situation? The Steelers ownership has always gone for stability and it's worked, for the most part. But, at what point is winning seasons not enough? At what point is getting into the playoffs but losing not enough?

That seems to be where some (maybe a lot of) Steelers fans are... I don't see anything happening to Tomlin... but, at some point, winning and playoffs losses won't be enough.

Nice problem to have, really.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
A lot of folks complain about their teams coach. I hear lots of bitching about Tomlin's lack of game day coaching skill.
But, I think Steelers fans should be careful what they wish for. Finding a better replacement who has that Steelers vibe won't be so easy to do. Part of why the Steelers hang onto coaches so long is that they know what they want in a head coach and it isn't always available. Plus when you get your guy, he usually sticks.
Seems like the team has been popping off in the media more and more. Bryant, Bell, Brown, Harrison. Tomlin is losing this team and Haley is right there with him. Head scratching in-game decision making all year long. They need to make a move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Seems like the team has been popping off in the media more and more.

The Jaguars players run their mouths as much as anyone. I've never been a fan of players bragging and making predictions before a game. It usually ends badly. You never hear any Patriots players do this. Coaches should instill this in their players. It makes for boring interviews but "pride goes before destruction..." Shut up and play!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Jaguars players run their mouths as much as anyone. I've never been a fan of players bragging and making predictions before a game. It usually ends badly. You never hear any Patriots players do this. Coaches should instill this in their players. It makes for boring interviews but "pride goes before destruction..." Shut up and play!
That's old school, old man! :ROFLMAO:

Gotta get up in their grill... jaw some... let them know who the man is... ya know, no backing down... I got this!!

Kidding aside, it is old school (and I agree with it BTW). Be a professional... do your job... let your play do the talking... and the ultimate shut up is beating the opponent.

But it doesn't work that way today... it's all about "me"... how "I" come off... got to have an angle... got to stand out.

McVay seems to have instilled a good balance of letting the players be themselves... without letting that get in the way of appearing to be a professional and representing the team in a good light.

I hope he can continue to coach the players on how to conduct themselves and not embarrass the team.