Mike Mayock’s Slant: What Makes Aaron Donald So Good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Looking like he's going to be a ram for a long time. Can't wait to see what he becomes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK guys go to the 15 second mark, but don't watch Donald watch the TWO Chiefs players assigned to block him. They miss him because he is so fast and they pancake each other.

I can see the OL coach in the film room saying "Did I call Chinese Fire Drill you idiots"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Top Rookie, and he's all ours!!:D

I just noticed.......

3v2qtl.jpg

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
You watch a guy like Quinn, and he has that lightening speed and those long arms and that extension with the tomahawk chop, and it's just scary stuff. He gets anywhere near the QB, and down he'll go.

Watching Donald is like a totally different experience. It's like putting a fire hydrant out there to chase guys down. Short guy, short arms, but just quick burst and then leverage leverage leverage. He's just always where the opposing O doesn't want him to be.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, that was impressive.
Mayock makes a good point several on the board have made that his 8 sacks is good for any rookie, but, for a DT 8 sacks is good for any player. Last year there were 2 or 3 DTs that registered 10 or more sacks, this year there are 2 sitting at 10 (I believe). The fact that Donald has a chance to hit that mark as a rookie is remarkable. He is a great mix of Sapp like power and strength, some Randle quickness and Farr use of his hands. Very impressive. Standing up to the double team vs. the Charges (two men much larger than him did not move him) to get the stop in the run game....that was one of more impressive D plays I have seen all year.
Special player.
Again, thanks Jrry for the heads up on this guy last year pre-draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, that was impressive.
Mayock makes a good point several on the board have made that his 8 sacks is good for any rookie, but, for a DT 8 sacks is good for any player. Last year there were 2 or 3 DTs that registered 10 or more sacks, this year there are 2 sitting at 10 (I believe). The fact that Donald has a chance to hit that mark as a rookie is remarkable. He is a great mix of Sapp like power and strength, some Randle quickness and Farr use of his hands. Very impressive. Standing up to the double team vs. the Charges (two men much larger than him did not move him) to get the stop in the run game....that was one of more impressive D plays I have seen all year.
Special player.
Again, thanks Jrry for the heads up on this guy last year pre-draft.

No problem. Glad we got AD and he's doing so well.

If I can give another head's up (;)), one of the guys to watch this year is AD's former teammate and linemate T.J. Clemmings. Clemmings now plays OT and he's going to rise rapidly during the draft process with the media. JMO but I think NFL teams already have him rated in the top 10. He's one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think he's going to be a great NFL OL. He needs more development than AD did, though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if it's possible that he could be an All Pro, and yet not be the DROY? He is the best rookie on defense, but isn't a flashy LB......So I guess he'll just need to get 4 sacks in two games..;)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

If I can give another head's up (;)), one of the guys to watch this year is AD's former teammate and linemate T.J. Clemmings. Clemmings now plays OT and he's going to rise rapidly during the draft process with the media. JMO but I think NFL teams already have him rated in the top 10. He's one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think he's going to be a great NFL OL. He needs more development than AD did, though.

I recently watched Clemmings thanks to you, and I doubt we have a shot at this guy, but if we do I think we have to take him. Amazing athlete with long arms, dominant run blocker and solid pass protector, and not that bad technically considering how long he's been a tackle. He can come in and play now but still has a lot of room to grow still, his potential is sky high. Reminds me a lot of Tyron Smith.

FRO

Legend

I think he is gone before we even have a chance. The kid looks the part. AD didn't, that's why he was there at 13. Had he been 6'5" 300 he probably goes 1st over Clowney. Donald was as big of an athletic freak and had better overall production, but was undersized. Not diminishing Clowney at all, because I was hoping he would fall to 2.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I don't watch college ball.........what about a MLB and OLB.

I know OL is always a good place to draft players, and I support getting one or two every year. But the middle of the D is the weak spot and it needs to be addressed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't watch college ball.........what about a MLB and OLB.

I know OL is always a good place to draft players, and I support getting one or two every year. But the middle of the D is the weak spot and it needs to be addressed.

Nobody this year that I'd take in the 1st round for us.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It's nice to have depth on this DL. It allows us to replenish at a steady rate, without having to spend major $$$ to do so. Right now ... Long , Langford and Hayes are our "elder statesmen". They are still young enough and playing well enough that we can slowly bring in their eventual replacements. One thing Snead and Fisher have done, is they started building a roster the right way. Now it's time to do it with the OL