Miesha!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Wow!

Beats Holly Holm by choking her out! Puts her to sleep in Round #5.

Never saw that coming.

ba223bdf66559e08680a23494bdf75ee.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I had a feeling it was gonna go down like that. Miesha was going a good job of staying out of her range and keeping her head moving. After she got Holly down in the first round and almost choked her out, all she needed was one more take-down. That was a good fight. So was Diaz choking out McGregor. Kinda wanted to see Connor win that one, but I think he needed to be taken down a notch too.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Was watching with my oldest daughter who may start back to BJJ and said to her after the second round "if Meisha takes her down again, it's over"

Now, there's a triangle. Rousey owns Taint. Taint owns Holm. Holm owns Rousey.

Rousey v Taint 3 has to be the next fight even though you would think there should be a rematch. That will be a war that Rousey should win. The next year will be interesting.

As for Nate Diaz, I hadn't realized he took the fight on two weeks notice. I told my daughter that both Diaz brothers had cardio for days and with Connor adding weight, cardio could be an issue. As well, the Diaz's have some of the best submission skills in MMA. Sneaky quick and extraordinarily good at transitioning. Heck, when he went for the rear naked choke, he also had the arm triangle there as well.

As someone who's tapped someone out and tapped out from rear chokes, that's not always the worst part. If you see someone put that "body triangle" or body lock on...man those hurt. And when you're doing submission defense, a guy can have a body lock on you and flex you backward, as if he were going to suplex you, but not let go. Yeah, my son had me like that and I thought he was gonna break my back. I had to tap.

Anyway, when Nate got the choke I jumped out of my seat cheering!

Still a massive Holly Holm fan, still a Meisha Taint fan, glad to see Diaz being Diaz and it was a great, great night for BJJ.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was watching with my oldest daughter who may start back to BJJ and said to her after the second round "if Meisha takes her down again, it's over"

Now, there's a triangle. Rousey owns Taint. Taint owns Holm. Holm owns Rousey.

Rousey v Taint 3 has to be the next fight even though you would think there should be a rematch. That will be a war that Rousey should win. The next year will be interesting.

As for Nate Diaz, I hadn't realized he took the fight on two weeks notice. I told my daughter that both Diaz brothers had cardio for days and with Connor adding weight, cardio could be an issue. As well, the Diaz's have some of the best submission skills in MMA. Sneaky quick and extraordinarily good at transitioning. Heck, when he went for the rear naked choke, he also had the arm triangle there as well.

As someone who's tapped someone out and tapped out from rear chokes, that's not always the worst part. If you see someone put that "body triangle" or body lock on...man those hurt. And when you're doing submission defense, a guy can have a body lock on you and flex you backward, as if he were going to suplex you, but not let go. Yeah, my son had me like that and I thought he was gonna break my back. I had to tap.

Anyway, when Nate got the choke I jumped out of my seat cheering!

Still a massive Holly Holm fan, still a Meisha Taint fan, glad to see Diaz being Diaz and it was a great, great night for BJJ.

Chael Sonnen, who predicted a Taint win, said he thought that Taint would do well because she's a wrestler and could attack Holly lower better than Rosey(judo)could. In other words he thought her wrestling skills would be better suited to taking her down than Ronda's judo skills. Of course, Sonnen is a wrestler so he may be biased about that. In any case--I just saw the fight little by little through Vine and Twitter--didn't see the whole thing live. But Taint was not letting go on that choke hold the second time and Holm didn't tap. She made Taint put her to sleep.

The last thing Dana White probably wanted was to have to schedule Rousey/Taint again. And the last thing Miesha Taint may want is to face a pissed off Ronda Rousey.

As for Conor Mcgregor--he had to put on pounds for this fight and he's used to fighting smaller guys. Maybe he should stay with that. Moving up was probably a bad idea.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As for Nate Diaz, I hadn't realized he took the fight on two weeks notice. I told my daughter that both Diaz brothers had cardio for days and with Connor adding weight, cardio could be an issue.
Rogan made a good point before that fight began. Connor didn't really gain any weight - he just didn't starve/dehydrate himself before this one. He's probably a natural 168/170lb guy and should be fighting at that weight all the time. All this stuff about guys shedding weight for the weigh-in is kinda dumb and isn't natural.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, Rousey found out the hard way that the new rules have serious repercussions and may advocate for a higher weight class for women.

Rousey got rekt in part because it was her first fight under the new rules that disallowed rehydration after the weigh-in using an IV. Oral hydration is now the ONLY method allowed. I dunno if colonic hydration is possible, but I've never heard it discussed.

Point being that THAT is why Rousey looked as pudgey as she did for her fight and it's changing the dynamics of MMA. Some guys were never really in the habit of cutting weight and while they may not have the initial strength, they also have consistent cardio and a body that hasn't just experienced recent weight loss trauma.

I still wonder if Chris Cyborg will play a role in all this now that everyone is mortal. She's always used oral hydration which is why she's fought off the notion of dropping down below 140.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Rousey found out the hard way that the new rules have serious repercussions and may advocate for a higher weight class for women.

Rousey got rekt in part because it was her first fight under the new rules that disallowed rehydration after the weigh-in using an IV. Oral hydration is now the ONLY method allowed. I dunno if colonic hydration is possible, but I've never heard it discussed.

Point being that THAT is why Rousey looked as pudgey as she did for her fight and it's changing the dynamics of MMA. Some guys were never really in the habit of cutting weight and while they may not have the initial strength, they also have consistent cardio and a body that hasn't just experienced recent weight loss trauma.

I still wonder if Chris Cyborg will play a role in all this now that everyone is mortal. She's always used oral hydration which is why she's fought off the notion of dropping down below 140.

That's interesting, Mac. I didn't know they had changed those rules.

I always thought the problem with Cyborg was steroids. Is she off of them?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
She was never "on" them in that sense. She trusted her piece of crap husband to maintain her training and nutrition regimen and he supplemented her regimen with I think it was a cream.

Once she tested positive, she realized what he had done, divorced him and hasn't had any issues since. She's currently the Invicta FC Women's Champ at 145 lbs (I dunno what weight class that is. 147 in boxing would be Welterweight...)

So, yes, she's clean.

And as someone who's been on steroids in the past (due to Crohn's in my case), it changes your metabolism. Slows it down. So just going off of steroids doesn't automatically mean you're back to the way you were. Nope. It's why people who were on them either bloat up or get fat. It's because their metabolism really slows down and few take that into account and adjust their caloric intake accordingly.

That's yet another reason why it REALLY isn't such a small thing for her to drop down to 135. She walks around at 170 or so and that's pretty lean. For her to drop all of that water and lean out the muscle like that to get down to 135 would be scary dangerous. Now... the answer is that she'd need to lose muscle mass.

The question is how...where...to what degree. How does a fighter toward the end of a career when bodies are more prone to losing cardio and quickness, but adding muscle mass (we're still talking 30s when most body builders are entering their primes) shed muscle mass while losing the least amount of power, strength and quickness?

I'm sure that's the question that's keeping her up at night because the women's division in the UFC just got all KINDS of interesting now... Everyone is vulnerable and NO ONE hits like Cris Cyborg.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a bad night for Dana White.
Holm/Rousey II had the makings of a Mayweather/Paquio draw.
Now it's a bit of a mess.
And for McGregor. He was prepared to fight Dos Anos at 155 which already was going up in weight. Then to go up another 15 was a bit crazy.
Connor was gassed and was making mince meat out of Diaz face. Not known for his ground game, I was shocked when he shot at the end of round 2. It was over for him as soon as he gave Diaz that
Happy for meisha but not sure what happens next