Mid-Season Mock,

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
The only offensive starter not under contract for next season is Barnes. Most of the back ups are under contract.

Starting defensive FAs are Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod. Significant role players who are FAs are Hayes, Fairley, and Sims. And Zuerlein.

That's a total of four starters and 4 significant role players to resign. We have 40 players under contract for 2016 and will add roughly 6 in the draft.

Estimated cap room (before cuts or restructures) is $38 mil with about $8 mil needed for the draft picks. Jenkins is the highest priced FA we need to sign and should command in the $10 mil range. Johnson more likely in the $6-7 mil range. Hayes, say $4.5 mil. Barnes, say $3 mil. That's a total of around $24 mil for the those 4 and we have 50 players under contract. Still have room to sign the other four to reasonable contracts, especially with a cut/restructure. Draft picks will fill out some of those FA roles or push out higher priced players. The balance of the roster is filled out with minimum salary people. As I said above, I don't think we resign McLeod (unless we don't sign either Jenkins or Johnson), Fairley, or Sims. I think one DB starter will be new in 2016, as will at least one DE and the rotational DT.

I don't think the people we need to extend after 2016 don't really factor in too much.

Bottom line, we have a pretty good cap situation and I don't think available cap room will stop us from signing our own FAs. Doesn't mean we will, just means we can if we want to.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they got the cap space they should keep the team together until they have better players taking the places of the guys you want to cut. Why create bigger weaknesses where a player is starting to show weakness? Laurinitis is playing some of his best football this season. Long is getting the injury bug but still gets great pressure on the QB. Hayes gets sacks and pressure as well and is the best backup DLinemen we have. Saffold is the best Guard on the roster right now. Why cut these guys without proof of an upgrade? There will be room to draft replacements but you and I know that drafted players are not guaranteed to succeed, especially in year one.

With JJ I am expecting they will have the cap space. I don't know for fact but JT seems to think that they will be able to sign everyone.

Josh Gordon? I have worked with drug addicts for years. The chance to truly be clean depends on a lot of circumstances. One problem is who he will be around and as an NFL football player chances are very good that he will be tempted more than the average working joe. He has been suspended too many times to be relied on. You want to cut guys for injury but you dismiss Gordons suspension risk, which is just as prominent if not more. It would be great if the guy can turn it around and be a positive force for the Rams. Only based on what I know from his past, I don't think his influence would be good for our young team.

Good point with Zettle. He could play all along the line as a rotational player. I have no idea where he gets picked right now. Last year he was projected as a late first rounder. This year he gets much more attention and Austin Johnson and Carl Nassib are benefitting for it. All three will probably be taken by the end of round 2 IMO.

Chris Long is and has been my favorite Ram player for awhile now, but I have come to the conclusion that in order to take the next step forward, our team needs to move on. While still a very solid player when healthy, his reliability factor is M.I.A. And his production vs CAP cost no longer makes sense for a young team in need of consistency and a play-off run. Replacing Long with a #1 draft pick saves the team close to $10.mil in CAP and should bring quality and savings for at least another 5 years. My favorite scenario actually has us drafting a #1 LDE with CLong extending his contract, becoming the rotational player replacing Hayes, thereby allowing him to retire as a Ram in another year, two or three, but I just don't believe Long will take the kind of salary cut required for a rotational player.

Saffold has performed like just another player this season, nothing really special, and the Rams have acquired so much depth on the OL, someone without his health issues could offer more consistency imo. While I like his versatility, you can't count on his availability.

While JJ remains high on the list for re-signing, I just don't see him giving any kind of home team discount, and the Rams will not likely engage in a bidding war. With Gaines, Tru, Joyner & Roberson, I believe the Rams will be fine with another quality drafted CB competing. Moving on from JJ could offer another $10.mil in available CAP.

I'm not sure Barron will be as inexpensive as we all may wish, he's been playing very good ball and is another one of those very versatile players. I believe the Rams may have made a mistake in not signing his 5'th year option.

Josh Gordon is controversial, sure enough, but I don't really even have to count on him as he won't be much of a risk receiving a minimal salary with incentives. Anything he can add will be a plus, even if he were to flameout. I'm not counting on him as a #1 WR, that's where I spend big for Alshon Jeffery. If Quick is healthy enough to re-sign, he'll also be cheap, so I'm not worried about depth if we can manage those two signings (Jeffery & Gordon).

Like many fans, it's easy to get attached to players, but sometimes it's better to move on sooner than later, creating rather than losing value. As always, it's a gamble this game we love. For each player cut/traded, I believe in my draft enough to make up for any loss in production, and we get younger, stronger and less expensive imo. Perhaps the savings allows for a third quality free agent, regardless, it puts us in great CAP shape to sign the next round of free agents in 2017 … pain free, both Brockers & Ogletree. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While JJ remains high on the list for re-signing, I just don't see him giving any kind of home team discount, and the Rams will not likely engage in a bidding war. With Gaines, Tru, Joyner & Roberson, I believe the Rams will be fine with another quality drafted CB competing. Moving on from JJ could offer another $10.mil in available CAP.

So we're going to develop this kid into a stud and then let him go elsewhere? That worked well with London Fletcher. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like many fans, it's easy to get attached to players, but sometimes it's better to move on sooner than later, creating rather than losing value

That is not what this is about. I have no trouble saying good bye to players and I do agree that some of these players you are releasing are getting very close to that time in their career. To me it is about relying on rookies to do a mans job. If you draft Ogbah and he plays up to expectations then great. But what if he doesn't? I am not sure which is older Long or Hayes but I think it is Long. If one had to go Long would be the one because of that and injuries. Both are leaders on the team. What I am saying is draft the replacements first. Long and Hayes as a tandem still produce in case the rookie flops.....and yes even first round DEs flop.

With Saffold I hate the injuries and I think he was injured this year to start so I give him a pass. Last year he was a very good player. He is the leader of the very young and in some cases raw Oline. The line is not ready to fly solo. If you cut Saffold then sign Mitchell Shwartz or better yet sign a good veteran center like Mack. Garrett Reynolds has played pretty well but he has not been a starter anywhere. He was signed to do what he is doing. Play swing man.

Browns players grew to dislike Gordon. Was he a bad presence in the clubhouse? Not sure but that was the impression I got. Some called him a Cancer. This young team does not need that kind of influence. Did he truly pull a Cris Carter? If so then sure bring him aboard. I just don't know how you can figure that out. One thing I have learned about addicts is that they are very good at hiding what they do. I guess they could give him a look and cut him if he is a problem. I would just rather get a more reliable player in his stead.

Perhaps the savings allows for a third quality free agent, regardless, it puts us in great CAP shape to sign the next round of free agents in 2017 … pain free, both Brockers & Ogletree. jmo.

That is next year. Cut the players next year. If you have the money to sign them all and keep the chemistry and play quality up while you transition to knew players that is when you do it. Heck, they could even release some during camp cuts just to make sure the new guys are coming along. There is no need to have a bunch of money sitting around until you are sure you definitely don't need the players you are thinking of cutting. If they draft a stud player to replace Long, then make the decision. RIght now Chris is under contract and if it fits the new budget there is no need to do so.

However, if for some reason the Rams cannot fit everyone into the cap this offseason then yes by all means they need to cut some of the bigger contracts and Long and Saffold are probably the main guys to go. I don't think a healthy Laurinitis is in that group. I have always wanted more of a thumper at MLB but they have to be sure they have the right guy to replace him instead of just cutting him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So we're going to develop this kid into a stud and then let him go elsewhere? That worked well with London Fletcher. ;)

This is how I look at it too. The Steelers and Packers keep their stud draftees. It makes no sense to be developing guys skills for other teams. Sometimes it is unavoidable but I said in another thread that if they can afford to franchise Jenkins then they need to do it and give it more time to work things out. At the very least threaten to franchise him and do a sign and trade deal where they get a first round pick for him. He is definitely worth that and maybe more. You cannot just let him walk.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I forgot to add that the Rams absolutely cannot rely on EJ Gaines to return to form only a year removed from a Lis Franc injury. I am not saying it is not possible but it is not likely. That particular injury can be a career ender. I don't recall anyone returning to their previous form after sustaining that injury. If the Rams let JJ Walk they will be needing another stud corner to take his place. Joyner is not a shut down type, Robison is a good cover guy. But then they have created 4 major needs going into the draft. WR, TE, DE, CB all of which would need to be first or second rounders. Top corners and DEs usually are first rounders.

FRO

Legend
I'm not a cap guy, but I'm looking at McDonald and Brockers coming up next year and want to make sure we retain those two guys. If signing Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod limit those chances then I rethink who we resign. If Gaines looks healthy, then maybe you rethink resigning Jenkins or Johnson if you don't have enough room to resign McDonald or Brockers in the future. Again, not a cap guy, but McDonald and Brockers are two of the most important players on defense. You will also have Ogletree coming up too. Unless Barron comes cheap, and I doubt he does, I don't see how we bring him back when we have Alexander who can play his positison.

Also history shows that spending big money on an outside free agent is a fools move. Yeah some teams hit the jackpot with it, most don't. Scott Wells, Jared Cook, and Jake Long all didn't pan out for us.

Stel

Starter
I think Jenkins is more valuable to the team than either Brockers or McDonald, and harder to replace. Shut down type corners are hard to find and expensive to keep, sort of like QBs. Alexander filled in for McDonald and did pretty well. He wasn't playing Barron's spot. Alexander played every defensive snap last week, as did Barron, Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod and Laurinaitis.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I don't see it being a real choice. I could easily be wrong, but the Rams tend to allow players to seek their true value on the open market, then decide whether to pursue. I just don't see them engaging in or winning an active league-wide bidding war, and JJ could command that kind of interest imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll say it again, … the Rams need a shake-up call. They must make a loud statement that mediocrity doesn't carry the day. Some big roster changes are required if this team is to move forward successfully. Make some trades, acquire some extra draft picks so we can trade up and replace Foles in 2017, move Robinson back inside, and pray for a successful 2016 draft. Doubtful there is much we can do about coaching until 2017. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say it again, … the Rams need a shake-up call. They must make a loud statement that mediocrity doesn't carry the day. Some big roster changes are required if this team is to move forward successfully. Make some trades, acquire some extra draft picks so we can trade up and replace Foles in 2017, move Robinson back inside, and pray for a successful 2016 draft. Doubtful there is much we can do about coaching until 2017. jmo.

They need a new HC and QB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They need a new HC and QB.

While that may feel like it would ease some of todays pain, it's not likely to happen. Foles is too expensive to cut, same with Fisher. I really disliked the Mannion pick, but given an opportunity to compete for the starting role, maybe he surprises … and we still have Keenum unless the team decides to go with another free agent vet QB. The Rams have far more problems than just Foles/Fisher, so lets finish the 5 year Fisher rebuild plan thru the draft, pick up a couple talented free agents, and set ourselves up to replace Foles in 2017. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While that may feel like it would ease some of todays pain, it's not likely to happen. Foles is too expensive to cut, same with Fisher. I really disliked the Mannion pick, but given an opportunity to compete for the starting role, maybe he surprises … and we still have Keenum unless the team decides to go with another free agent vet QB. The Rams have far more problems than just Foles/Fisher, so lets finish the 5 year Fisher rebuild plan thru the draft, pick up a couple talented free agents, and set ourselves up to replace Foles in 2017. jmo.

Foles is not too expensive to be cut. We save around $3 million if we cut him.

None of those options are good. I'm not going to endorse an off-season where we do nothing to solve the real problem(s).

Stel

Starter
Foles is not too expensive to be cut. We save around $3 million if we cut him.

For 2016, he would have $3,750,000 in dead money if cut early. On 3/16/16 a $6 mil roster bonus has to be paid and his 2016 cap number will be $8,750,000. I think he stays next year but he won't make 2017 unless he really steps up his level of play (which I doubt - hard to step up when you can't hit open receivers). We need to identify the QB we want, take him, then let him work to take the starting spot from Foles during the 2016 season.

nighttrain

Legend
Big Changes

CAP Casualty Cuts (or trades) :
C.Long, Saffold, Hayes, Cook, Laurinaitis, Britt
(Trades applied to extra draft picks to move up for quality 2017 QB)
(CAP savings applied to re-sign 2017 free agents Brockers, Ogletree, etc.)

Lost to Free Agency :
J.Jenkins, Quick

Rams UFA free agents to re-sign :

DT - Nick Fairley
SS - Barron
DE - Sims
CB - T.Johnson
K - Zuerline
C - Barnes (as back-up only)

Restricted Free Agents to re-sign :
McLeod, Harkey, B.Cunningham, Reynolds, Davis, Worthington

Outside Free Agent Acquisitions :

WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Josh Gordon

2016 Draft :
(Trade down 1'st Round pick for extra 2'nd)

1) DE - Emmanual Ogbah, Ok.St.
2a) CB - Kendall Fuller, V.T.
2b) C - Dan Voltz, Wi.
2c) MLB - Kendell Beckwith, LSU (from trade-down)
3) TE - Hunter Henry, Ark.
4) DE - Anthony Zettel, Penn.St.
5) OT - Isaiah Battle (SupDraft)
6) DT - Adam Gotsis, G.T.

jmo.
You want to stay with our QB's, ouch
train

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This is how I look at it too. The Steelers and Packers keep their stud draftees. It makes no sense to be developing guys skills for other teams. Sometimes it is unavoidable but I said in another thread that if they can afford to franchise Jenkins then they need to do it and give it more time to work things out. At the very least threaten to franchise him and do a sign and trade deal where they get a first round pick for him. He is definitely worth that and maybe more. You cannot just let him walk.
This is the logical approach but it can get messy very fast. His twitting sounded a tad bitter at Rams management trying to lowball his extension. He had a beef with his first contract, but it was mostly about the details not the dollars. Probably should keep an eye out if he switches agents or if the h-word ("holdout") starts being whispered. Yeah it's a big-boy business but locker room chemistry and emotion in the game still count, I get the sense this front office would rather let a guy walk instead of get into a cancerous contract standoff.

Stel

Starter
This is the logical approach but it can get messy very fast. His twitting sounded a tad bitter at Rams management trying to lowball his extension. He had a beef with his first contract, but it was mostly about the details not the dollars. Probably should keep an eye out if he switches agents or if the h-word ("holdout") starts being whispered. Yeah it's a big-boy business but locker room chemistry and emotion in the game still count, I get the sense this front office would rather let a guy walk instead of get into a cancerous contract standoff.

That sort of rhetoric is not uncommon when sports contract negotiations aren't going smoothly. I haven't seen any indication Jenkins isn't liked by his teammates or causes any sort of locker room problems. He is a top cornerback and will get paid. Unless there is someone wants to pay him really stupid money, he should stay a Ram. Jenkins would be hard to replace.