Mid-Season Mock,

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Big Changes

CAP Casualty Cuts (or trades) :
C.Long, Saffold, Hayes, Cook, Laurinaitis, Britt
(Trades applied to extra draft picks to move up for quality 2017 QB)
(CAP savings applied to re-sign 2017 free agents Brockers, Ogletree, etc.)

Lost to Free Agency :
J.Jenkins, Quick

Rams UFA free agents to re-sign :

DT - Nick Fairley
SS - Barron
DE - Sims
CB - T.Johnson
K - Zuerline
C - Barnes (as back-up only)

Restricted Free Agents to re-sign :
McLeod, Harkey, B.Cunningham, Reynolds, Davis, Worthington

Outside Free Agent Acquisitions :

WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Josh Gordon

2016 Draft :
(Trade down 1'st Round pick for extra 2'nd)

1) DE - Emmanual Ogbah, Ok.St.
2a) CB - Kendall Fuller, V.T.
2b) C - Dan Voltz, Wi.
2c) MLB - Kendell Beckwith, LSU (from trade-down)
3) TE - Hunter Henry, Ark.
4) DE - Anthony Zettel, Penn.St.
5) OT - Isaiah Battle (SupDraft)
6) DT - Adam Gotsis, G.T.

jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Big Changes

Lost to Free Agency :
J.Jenkins, Quick

DT - Nick Fairley
SS - Barron
DE - Sims
CB - T.Johnson
K - Zuerline

WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Josh Gordon

2016 Draft :

2b) C - Dan Voltz, Wi.

jmo.

Nope. I don't think any of those guys (with the exception of Voltz) are going anywhere where you think they're going.

Henry and Zettel are guaranteed second round picks. Zettel is a fantastic interior defender who can go on the outside as well. Henry is the best consensus tight end in this class. I think that Fuller is still going to be a first round pick, even with his ACL. He's that good. Ogbah might be around in the second. Gotsis is more of a fourth rounder than a sixth.

In addition...no franchise tag to Jenkins? Cutting Laurinaitis instead of restructuring him? I can't agree with that. That's too much talent lost.

McLeod, Harkey, and Reynolds are no longer RFAs either. McLeod has accrued enough years of service to become a UFA. There's no guarantee that Josh Gordon is ever going to play again, and Alshon Jeffery looks like he'll be at least franchised by Chicago (who doesn't look like they have anyone else worthwhile as free agents).

I love the players for the most part, but I can't agree with the decisions in the offseason and where they're going. Just my honest opinion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Two things I see in all these mocks. As long as Fisher is the coach I think people wanting these cuts are going to be greatly disappointed, especially Long. Secondly we don't need to do that many cuts to resign the players you have us resigning.

Stel

Starter
My midseason mock:

Resign Jenkins, Johnson, Barron, and Hayes.

Restructure Long or release him. I think he is still a good player but no longer worth the cap hit.

Would like to keep Fairley and Sims, but not sure the money works.

Say goodbye to McLeod (money), Quick (would keep at vet minimum to compete for job), Bailey and at least one TE.

1. WR Michael Thomas, Ohio State. Not a burner, but a good route runner who catches the ball and moves the chains. Good WR for an offense that leans towards the run. Prefer Treadwell but I don't think he'll be available when we pick.
2A. FS Darian Thompson, Boise State. Aggressive, has good size and speed and makes plays.
2B. QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State. Great size, good arm, accurate, good intangibles. Needs to work on some decision making (sometimes tries to force the pass when he shouldn't). Level of competition is the only negative but he has dominated at his level and is a winner.
3. TE Hunter Henry, Arkansas. Iffy he'll still be on the board at this point. If not, TE Nick Vannett, Ohio State.
4. DE James Cowser, Southern Utah.
6. DT D. J. Reader, Clemson. Shot in the dark here. Stepped away for personal reason (maybe related to losing his father over the summer) for a couple of months but has been welcomed back to team. Developmental rotational tackle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big Changes

Lost to Free Agency :
J.Jenkins, Quick

DT - Nick Fairley
SS - Barron
DE - Sims
CB - T.Johnson
K - Zuerline

WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Josh Gordon

2016 Draft :

2b) C - Dan Voltz, Wi.

jmo.

We're losing a lot of important defensive players. I'm not a fan of that. I think the chances of Alshon hitting FA are slim. And Gordon isn't hitting FA. He's suspended which means he'll still be under contract with Cleveland when he returns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My midseason mock:

Restructure Long or release him. I think he is still a good player but no longer worth the cap hit.

Say goodbye to McLeod (money), Quick (would keep at vet minimum to compete for job), Bailey and at least one TE.

1. WR Michael Thomas, Ohio State. Not a burner, but a good route runner who catches the ball and moves the chains. Good WR for an offense that leans towards the run. Prefer Treadwell but I don't think he'll be available when we pick.
2A. FS Darian Thompson, Boise State. Aggressive, has good size and speed and makes plays.
2B. QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State. Great size, good arm, accurate, good intangibles. Needs to work on some decision making (sometimes tries to force the pass when he shouldn't). Level of competition is the only negative but he has dominated at his level and is a winner.
3. TE Hunter Henry, Arkansas. Iffy he'll still be on the board at this point. If not, TE Nick Vannett, Ohio State.
6. DT D. J. Reader, Clemson. Shot in the dark here. Stepped away for personal reason (maybe related to losing his father over the summer) for a couple of months but has been welcomed back to team. Developmental rotational tackle.

You have Wentz so you won me over. :LOL:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope. I don't think any of those guys (with the exception of Voltz) are going anywhere where you think they're going.

Henry and Zettel are guaranteed second round picks. Zettel is a fantastic interior defender who can go on the outside as well. Henry is the best consensus tight end in this class. I think that Fuller is still going to be a first round pick, even with his ACL. He's that good. Ogbah might be around in the second. Gotsis is more of a fourth rounder than a sixth.

In addition...no franchise tag to Jenkins? Cutting Laurinaitis instead of restructuring him? I can't agree with that. That's too much talent lost.

McLeod, Harkey, and Reynolds are no longer RFAs either. McLeod has accrued enough years of service to become a UFA. There's no guarantee that Josh Gordon is ever going to play again, and Alshon Jeffery looks like he'll be at least franchised by Chicago (who doesn't look like they have anyone else worthwhile as free agents).

I love the players for the most part, but I can't agree with the decisions in the offseason and where they're going. Just my honest opinion.

Won't argue over who goes where, nobody knows yet. These are just my opinions on the type players I prefer to replace the older, sometimes injured, expensive vets who are neither consistent nor real difference makers any longer. During the college season, combine & pro-days, players may move dramatically up and down charts, so based on my current limited observations, this mock replaces players who haven't had a history of success with new talent all while setting a very positive CAP situation well into the future. It could also create a trade avenue allowing for extra 2017 draft picks to help find a QB should it continue to prove necessary.
While Henry could easily end up going in the 2'nd, especially in an off-season where the position is not deep or rich in talent, he has recently slipped somewhat on several charts. Zettel is all over the place, some have him high, others have him in round 3 or later. Of all the players on this mock, I feel he could move the most between now and draft day. As for Gotsis, he was considered a project prior to his injury, so I won't be surprised if his value drops some.
My RFA list comes from sportrac.com, perhaps you have a better link ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Two things I see in all these mocks. As long as Fisher is the coach I think people wanting these cuts are going to be greatly disappointed, especially Long. Secondly we don't need to do that many cuts to resign the players you have us resigning.

Agree that we don't 'need' to make all these cuts to re-sign our current players, … I just want to. I want to shake this team up, replacing inconsistent or oft injured players, making the point that if you aren't producing, you become a drag on the team. My cuts allow for a strong free agency, the potential for trades and sets our CAP in great position going forward. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My midseason mock:

IMO, Foles won't be going anywhere for at least another year, and hopefully a year in the system helps the young O-Line improve into more of an asset. Couple some proven receivers with an improved OL, Foles has to look better. I'm looking towards the 2017 draft for a QB, perhaps trading some of my listed cut/trade players puts us in a better position with extra draft picks. If the Rams choose to go QB this next off-season, it's likely to cost us our 1'st and both 2'nds to move up for the best talent, could even cost an additional 2017 pick. I don't see the Rams as deep enough yet to sacrifice this next draft, so I wait a year and complete the rest of the rebuild this off-season, then re-examine our QB needs the following year.
I believe we'll lose JJ to free agency, just can't see the Rams participating in the bidding war that I predict will occur. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We're losing a lot of important defensive players. I'm not a fan of that. I think the chances of Alshon hitting FA are slim. And Gordon isn't hitting FA. He's suspended which means he'll still be under contract with Cleveland when he returns.

Are you saying a suspension extends his original contract ?

Stel

Starter
IMO, Foles won't be going anywhere for at least another year, and hopefully a year in the system helps the young O-Line improve into more of an asset. Couple some proven receivers with an improved OL, Foles has to look better.

I agree. I don't have Foles going anywhere next year. I think Wentz needs a year before he sees the field and I don't want a QB who is expected to start Day 1. Give him a year of NFL conditioning, coaching, and learning, and I think he has a chance to be a solid starter. My intent was to give Foles two pass catchers and replace the starting DB we don't resign.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Long - team leader but often injured, still gets a lot of QB pressures when healthy. contract restructure
Saffold- we don't know if he was injured the entire season. If so, our best OG hands down. Can he come back healthy? If so might as well keep. Contract is not a problem
Hayes- team leader best backup DE we have gets pressure and sacks
Cook- cya
Laurinitis- defensive captain that makes all the calls. Who replaces him? A rookie? Ogletree? I think you need to ease a LBer into the defense before you think of getting rid of the main man
Britt- our only deep threat. Aging and getting slow but the receiver corps is bad and he is the only decent spot besides Tavon (who is not a real receiver)
Quick- cya
Jenkins- shut down corner that can be franchised if not signed. No need to just let him go.

Not sure why you want to keep Zeurlein and not some of the others above. He is much worse at his job IMO

Signing Josh Gordon? GTFO. Don't need his problem on the team. Signing Alshon........yes please and yes to the rest of the FAs to keep

The Rams are reportedly in very good cap position with the coming increase. I don't see the need to cut contributors if the money is there. A few of those contracts are up in a year anyhow. Play them out and resign the ones you want on the cheap next year.

The draft is fine. Kind of early for me to be considering that aspect. I think Zettles is more of a 3/4 DE btw. He is doubled often now but as a DE in the 4/3 he excelled, but looks a bit big for that.

Stel

Starter
I think Zettel added some weight to move inside more this year. He was a bit taller than Hayes and the same weight. Same height as Quinn but heavier by about a dozen pounds. Like him a lot if we take a day 2 DE.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Long - team leader but often injured, still gets a lot of QB pressures when healthy. contract restructure
Saffold- we don't know if he was injured the entire season. If so, our best OG hands down. Can he come back healthy? If so might as well keep. Contract is not a problem
Hayes- team leader best backup DE we have gets pressure and sacks
Cook- cya
Laurinitis- defensive captain that makes all the calls. Who replaces him? A rookie? Ogletree? I think you need to ease a LBer into the defense before you think of getting rid of the main man
Britt- our only deep threat. Aging and getting slow but the receiver corps is bad and he is the only decent spot besides Tavon (who is not a real receiver)
Quick- cya
Jenkins- shut down corner that can be franchised if not signed. No need to just let him go.

Not sure why you want to keep Zeurlein and not some of the others above. He is much worse at his job IMO

Signing Josh Gordon? GTFO. Don't need his problem on the team. Signing Alshon........yes please and yes to the rest of the FAs to keep

The Rams are reportedly in very good cap position with the coming increase. I don't see the need to cut contributors if the money is there. A few of those contracts are up in a year anyhow. Play them out and resign the ones you want on the cheap next year.

The draft is fine. Kind of early for me to be considering that aspect. I think Zettles is more of a 3/4 DE btw. He is doubled often now but as a DE in the 4/3 he excelled, but looks a bit big for that.

Well, other than Cook & Quick, you have us re-signing just about everyone. JJ is either going to be one of the most expensive contracts the Rams have signed if competing against the rest of the league for his services, or he's going to be extremely expensive as a 'Franchise' sign. Chris Long may agree to an extension, but how much of a salary cut do you really expect him to accept ? Honestly, signing all these guys will be a CAP buster imo, and I just don't see any of the guys i've listed as CAP casualties or trade bait worthy of new long-term contracts. Long & Saffold miss too much time from injury, both are replaceable at this stage of their career. The remainder are just too inconsistent for me to worry over, … and both Long & Laurinaitis were not drafted by Fisher, so i'm not convinced he'll stretch his loyalty to see these guys thru.

Josh Gordon could probably be had for not much more than the vet minimum with some added incentives, but any contract he signs will be sure to ensure the team is protected. By all reports, he's clean, been working out regularly, and in great shape.

As for Zettel, I believe he'd make a great fit, especially in a system where moving him inside & out is built into the scheme.

Considering Zuerline, i'm not against some good camp competition, but that still requires re-signing him. I left the 7'th round open in my mock, so bring in Brad Craddock from Maryland, then we'll have two rookie Aussies potentially making the roster. jmo.

Stel

Starter
Cap room shouldn't be a problem resigning most of our core FAs, even Jenkins.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you saying a suspension extends his original contract ?

No. But if he's suspended for a season, it doesn't count against his contract. So if he had 2 years left and was suspended for a year, when he comes back, he still is under contract for two years. He doesn't accrue a year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cap room shouldn't be a problem resigning most of our core FAs, even Jenkins.

Not sure I completely agree. If Cook is gone in your scenario, we'll have about 22 roster spots come available, not counting any other non-free agent cuts/trades. Counting Cook's dead money, maybe we have $43mil-$44mil. in available CAP, and that's assuming the near yearly $10mil raise in overall league CAP. That sounds like a lot of money, but I'm hoping for more of a free agent splash this next season compared to what we've done in the recent past. I'd rather not expect Rams vets to suddenly start producing at a higher level than we've grown accustomed, and I want the team to improve in a big way. I do expect the newer two & three year guys to step it up, but along with the draft, this next season could be the one where a couple quality free agents put us over the top as far as competing in the play-offs. We also may want a decent reserve so we can start negotiating future contracts with the likes of Brockers & Ogletree. Maybe it's just me, but I believe it's time to really shake up the roster and jmo.
No. But if he's suspended for a season, it doesn't count against his contract. So if he had 2 years left and was suspended for a year, when he comes back, he still is under contract for two years. He doesn't accrue a year.

OK, but these guys have him listed as a UFA :

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, other than Cook & Quick, you have us re-signing just about everyone. JJ is either going to be one of the most expensive contracts the Rams have signed if competing against the rest of the league for his services, or he's going to be extremely expensive as a 'Franchise' sign. Chris Long may agree to an extension, but how much of a salary cut do you really expect him to accept ? Honestly, signing all these guys will be a CAP buster imo, and I just don't see any of the guys i've listed as CAP casualties or trade bait worthy of new long-term contracts. Long & Saffold miss too much time from injury, both are replaceable at this stage of their career. The remainder are just too inconsistent for me to worry over, … and both Long & Laurinaitis were not drafted by Fisher, so i'm not convinced he'll stretch his loyalty to see these guys thru.

Josh Gordon could probably be had for not much more than the vet minimum with some added incentives, but any contract he signs will be sure to ensure the team is protected. By all reports, he's clean, been working out regularly, and in great shape.

As for Zettel, I believe he'd make a great fit, especially in a system where moving him inside & out is built into the scheme.

Considering Zuerline, i'm not against some good camp competition, but that still requires re-signing him. I left the 7'th round open in my mock, so bring in Brad Craddock from Maryland, then we'll have two rookie Aussies potentially making the roster. jmo.

If they got the cap space they should keep the team together until they have better players taking the places of the guys you want to cut. Why create bigger weaknesses where a player is starting to show weakness? Laurinitis is playing some of his best football this season. Long is getting the injury bug but still gets great pressure on the QB. Hayes gets sacks and pressure as well and is the best backup DLinemen we have. Saffold is the best Guard on the roster right now. Why cut these guys without proof of an upgrade? There will be room to draft replacements but you and I know that drafted players are not guaranteed to succeed, especially in year one.

With JJ I am expecting they will have the cap space. I don't know for fact but JT seems to think that they will be able to sign everyone.

Josh Gordon? I have worked with drug addicts for years. The chance to truly be clean depends on a lot of circumstances. One problem is who he will be around and as an NFL football player chances are very good that he will be tempted more than the average working joe. He has been suspended too many times to be relied on. You want to cut guys for injury but you dismiss Gordons suspension risk, which is just as prominent if not more. It would be great if the guy can turn it around and be a positive force for the Rams. Only based on what I know from his past, I don't think his influence would be good for our young team.

Good point with Zettle. He could play all along the line as a rotational player. I have no idea where he gets picked right now. Last year he was projected as a late first rounder. This year he gets much more attention and Austin Johnson and Carl Nassib are benefitting for it. All three will probably be taken by the end of round 2 IMO.