Michigan reportedly makes run at Jim Harbaugh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/17/michigan-reportedly-makes-run-at-jim-harbaugh/

Michigan reportedly makes run at Jim Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2014

harbaugh10.jpg
Getty Images

When it first became obvious Brady Hoke wouldn’t be back next year as head coach of the Michigan Wolverines, a report suggested that the folks at Ann Arbor were more interested in John Harbaugh (who didn’t go to Michigan) than Jim (who did).

Now, Michigan apparently has a keen interest in the soon-to-be-former 49ers coach.

Per multiple reports, Michigan has offered Harbaugh the job. The package leaked to the media would pay Harbaugh $8 million per year over six years.

That’s far more than Harbaugh currently makes in San Francisco, and far more than the 49ers had offered in failed negotiations on a new deal. The impasse arose, as one source with knowledge of the talks previously told PFT, because Harbaugh wanted to be paid like a Super Bowl-winning coach without, you know, winning a Super Bowl.

If the offer from Michigan, where it’s easy to finance a large coaching salary since the players get jack squat and free snacks, is real, he’d be paid like a Super Bowl-winning coach without winning a Super Bowl and without ever competing for one for as long as he’s at Michigan.

The leak and its origin suggest that Harbaugh’s agent hopes to use the offer as leverage in talks with interested NFL teams. If Michigan will pay $8 million per year, how much will the Raiders, Dolphins, or other interested team fork over? With the talent gap among teams as narrow as ever, a great coach can be the difference between mediocrity and a championship; great coaches at the NFL are worth far more than they currently get.

The possibility that Harbaugh will leave for Michigan also pressures Jed York and company to be very reasonable in any trade talks regarding Harbaugh. If he chooses to go back to college, the 49ers get nothing.

Then again, the 49ers may prefer that outcome, since they wouldn’t have to worry about Harbaugh finishing with another franchise that which he started in San Francisco.

Meanwhile, some have suggested that Harbaugh wouldn’t use his alma mater as leverage for a better NFL job. Why shouldn’t he? Harbaugh played football there at a high level. In return he got jack squat, without the free snacks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Six years 49 million, bring his butt to Michigan I would love the Buckeyes to keep kicking some Wolverine ass!

Last edited:

Rainram

Starter
I'd just be glad not having to watch him crying and wailing on the sideline all year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree, but go ahead and take the Michigan job! If Michigan didn't recruit athletes from Ohio they'd be Purdue!
I think he'll make Michigan relevant again if he decides to go there. I don't follow college a lot but he showed me that he's got what it takes when he was at SD and Stanford. Don't see any reason he can't get Michigan back into the rankings.

Plus, I like stories like that one would be. Former Wolverine QB coming back to coach his old team. Kind of like when a college guy gets drafted by the corresponding NFL team. Plummer to the Cardinals for example.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think he'll make Michigan relevant again if he decides to go there. I don't follow college a lot but he showed me that he's got what it takes when he was at SD and Stanford. Don't see any reason he can't get Michigan back into the rankings.

Plus, I like stories like that one would be. Former Wolverine QB coming back to coach his old team. Kind of like when a college guy gets drafted by the corresponding NFL team. Plummer to the Cardinals for example.

If he takes the Michigan job I wish him all the luck in the world and one loss every year! But, you're right it's a good story when someone goes back to be Head Coach of their Alma Mater.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The guy had a better team and lost to Sparano as an interim coach.
His act has wore thin in Whiner land. He fell into a dream job with tons of talent and did exactly what he should have done with that team. Win games.
He still has plenty of talent, but can't seem to get it done.
Good. Yes.
Great. No

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The guy had a better team and lost to Sparano as an interim coach.
His act has wore thin in Whiner land. He fell into a dream job with tons of talent and did exactly what he should have done with that team. Win games.
He still has plenty of talent, but can't seem to get it done.
Good. Yes.
Great. No

With that being posted would you take him over Jeff Fisher?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
With that being posted would you take him over Jeff Fisher?
No.

Fisher has helped build our team. The guy's are still playing hard for him as well.

Harbaugh walked into a team that was already loaded with talent.
There is still far too much talent over there to be sitting where they are now. They could end up last place in the division. That's on Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has under achieved this season imo.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My wolverine Brother-In-Law is just dying to get Har-blah. I know he soiled himself when he heard about this offer being extended.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harbaugh would definitely make Michigan relevant again. The guy is a very good Head Coach and can develop QBs. Plus, his act won't wear thin in college to the same extent because players aren't there for nearly as long and need him to get to the NFL.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No.

Fisher has helped build our team. The guy's are still playing hard for him as well.

Harbaugh walked into a team that was already loaded with talent.
There is still far too much talent over there to be sitting where they are now. They could end up last place in the division. That's on Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has under achieved this season imo.
Has his act worn thin or has he been saddled with poor ownership? I think he's been jerked around and it's starting to show in the end result.

Put Harbaugh in Fisher's current situation and I think Harbaugh would continue to excel. Look what happened to Fisher when his relationship with Tennessee's ownership soured. No, Harbaugh isn't a Mike Singletary type IMO. He's a damn good coach that I'm glad is out the door in SF.

3 straight NFC Championship games as a first time head coach isn't good enough to be treated right? Good job, SF. Can't wait to see the next string of Erickson, Nolan, Singletary, etc. hires.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure Harbaugh is a very good coach but he did have a great roster to work with. I wonder how well he would have done with a lesser roster. That's right, we don't have to wonder since the 49ers have had key injuries and several draft picks not pan out their roster is not as loaded as before and they are hovering around .500.

I do want him to come to the BigTen though. He has proven to be able to resurrect college programs and as a PSU fan I would prefer my conference to get back to respectability. I miss the days where an Indiana, Illinois, or Purdue could rise to status of contender. Now unfortunately the B1G has been relegated to an annual OSU/WIS battle for the title with an occasional Michigan State appearance every few years. If Franklin can coach like he recruits then PSU will improve the conferences competition but bringing back Michigan would be an even bigger boon to returning to respectability. A strong Michigan is good for the B1G. More good coaches are needed and Harbaugh is the name coach Michigan needs.