Michael Sam's Path to Rams Roster is Clear/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sam's just the kind of player who can flat out play. He may not have the measurables that Kony Ealy does, but Sam didn't get 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss in the toughest NCAA conference by luck or chance. Sam flat out outplayed Ealy in every aspect, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Ealy, who I think is going to have a fine NFL career himself. Sam has every intangible you look for in an NFL player, and that's why I'm pulling for him to make this team.
I read somewhere that Sam had 9 of his 11 sacks vs inferior competition....

Athos

Legend

In other words...you never actually watched him play. At all. Am I understanding you correctly?

The dude was a QB seeking motor that doesn't quit. That shit isn't going to pop up on a stat sheet.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I guess the 3 he had vs. Florida were considered inferior. OR the 2 he had vs. Central Florida. OR S. Carolina My god, can we just let the guy play football and see what happens?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In other words...you never actually watched him play. At all. Am I understanding you correctly?

The dude was a QB seeking motor that doesn't quit. That crap isn't going to pop up on a stat sheet.

I saw a couple of Mizzu games...Mainly the one vs Auburn. When Tre Mason had like 500 yards rushing. So to say I was a lil unimpressed is an understatement.

Lets, flip my point around..A guy like Aaron Donald, same height, weighs even more. Why would everyone love him so much more? Why was he such a beast in the senior bowl practices, when I really got a good look at him? What exactly are the measurables that he possess that really don't matter in the way he plays....
You don't get SEC DOPY for nothing. How bout we leave it at that? Lol

see above...plus, they wanted to give it to Clowney soo bad, after he just tapped out, they chose anybody. Hell, I woulda given it to Dee Ford.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
see above...plus, they wanted to give it to Clowney soo bad, after he just tapped out, they chose anybody. Hell, I woulda given it to Dee Ford.

That's just...may I correct you on a few things first? Please?

First of all, Dee Ford? The same Dee Ford who made essentially no impact in the FSU championship game, while Sam forced a game-winning fumble for Mizzou in the fourth quarter of his bowl game? The same Dee Ford who had less TFLs, sacks, pass deflections, and forced fumbles than Sam?

Clowney was never in consideration for that award because he didn't put up the stats, but it's unfair to say that he "just tapped out". He never tapped out; he was playing hurt and being double-teamed and chipped on every single play, even on the rare occasion they ran to his side.

And they didn't chose "anybody". They chose Sam and C.J. Mosely as the co-recipients. Both of them had outstanding seasons. Both were deserving candidates, and to say that "they chose anybody" just because they wanted to give it to Clowney is not only untrue, but is also demeaning to both Sam and Mosely, who worked very hard to get that award and get where they are today.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
DE's must explode into the OT on many plays just to set the edge, or explode of the edge. Explosive movements are important parts of the game...If vert's & broad jumps or any skill-set wasn't important, why would they measure it? Or more importantly, why do players fall who do poorly in these tests?
Did you know Bob Lilly bench pressed with the RB's back in the day?
There are JUST as many extraordinary measurables recorded by guys who can't play , quickness and reaction time are just as important ,reading where to attack all those things are important, like I said LOADED is when the real stuff happens can you maintain your push past something more substantial makes most of the difference.

Speed in the outfield can't overcome breaking the wrong way,reactions are where it's at.

They do all those tests trying to find the best athletes but if they can't play they're just athletes.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
So far it seems Sam has the heart, dedication and work ethic. He also has football smarts and the fact he gets to learn from 'the usual suspects' speaks highly. It would be awesome if he made the 53. If not I bet he doesn't make it thru waivers. We'll address the outcome when it happens.

Rambition

Rookie
i think sam is going to play somewhere in this league, whether it's with the rams or someone else, and whether it's as a reserve or something more. it might not even be for more than a handful of seasons, but i think it will happen.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hes a lock for 9th spot on DE IMO. He has plenty of Raw talent to make for a spot for a year or so to develop.

On a side note if he does make the squad I CANT WAIT UNTIL WE PLAY IN SAN FRAN AND SEATTLE WITH ALL THE NEW MICHAEL SAM JERSEYS WHO WILL BE ROOTING FOR US! :owned:

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The guy is a definitely in the final squad - I'm sorry but if he hadn't come out he would definitely been selected higher in the draft, his edge rushing skills are great, he has speed and athleticism and doesn't seem to give up.

If he doesn't make the team it's a travesty. We need to have security at DE too - what happens if Quinn gets offered a massive contract by another team, we need security and DE is an essential cog in our Defense and I think the Sam pickup was a steal for us.

The guy is a definitely in the final squad - I'm sorry but if he hadn't come out he would definitely been selected higher in the draft, his edge rushing skills are great, he has speed and athleticism and doesn't seem to give up.

If he doesn't make the team it's a travesty. We need to have security at DE too - what happens if Quinn gets offered a massive contract by another team, we need security and DE is an essential cog in our Defense and I think the Sam pickup was a steal for us.

We have Quinn locked up for the next 3 years (4th year of his rookie contract, 5th year option, franchise tag) that's assuming he doesn't sign a new contract during those 3 years.

A320driver

Rookie
Sam's combine vert was 25.5.

Using myself as an example, from my early 20s through my late 30s (I'm now 46), my squat kept going up while my vertical kept going down. Before you ask, it wasn't me getting fat, I was only 20 lbs more than my basketball dunking weight. I was also benching more, doing more pull-ups... My pct body fat actually went down. Don't ask me to explain the physiology of it, but I just though of it as strength vs explosion.

Anyway, agree to disagree is fine.

Haha..Dude it's called getting your "old man" muscle..NS!
As you age it's your body maturing and changing..growing is done.
As far as this discussion is concerned just look up Pat Kirwins "take your eye off the ball"
How to watch pro football.
He explains thoroughly in the book about how the NFL evaluates the very thing you all are discussing here.
It's called the explosive index, and takes into account the many variables that encompass what a players explosive index is.
It's a great read, and I think many of you would love it..I got it off Amazon..:) cheers !

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's going to make this team by playing special teams well. Let's not read much else into it as well. The fact that he dropped weight in order to play STs speaks volumes about his desire to make the team and his realization of how that's going to happen.
Also, can we stop talking about the DPOY award? Tebow won a Heisman, Eric Crouch won a Heisman. It's completely irrelevant to the NFL what he won. For every award winner in the NFL there are two others on the couch at home watching the NFL on TV.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He doesn't jump over the tackle, he steps past him the first step is way more important than vert. and why not check verts with weight cuz most of the time your engaged.
Lotta variables
How-ever I did see Brodine jump up--and-over a tackle Last year!:)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We have Quinn locked up for the next 3 years (4th year of his rookie contract, 5th year option, franchise tag) that's assuming he doesn't sign a new contract during those 3 years.

I hope you're right, it just it seems like the term 'locked up' is always fluid...

nighttrain

Legend
Watching Sam's success so far, not just in Rams camp but also at Mizzou kinda has me thinking. When people evaluate DEs, they tend to look at speed and bench press. Combine stuff. Well, for Sam, his 40 was not that fast @ 4.91, his reps were not that strong @ 17, his size made him look more like a LB than a DE. Nothing jumps out at you physically in his measurables, which I imagine is at least one reason why his stock dropped (I'm not getting into the other reason).

BUT... the one thing they said which was exceptional about Sam athletically was that he could squat a house. Not a combine event mind you, so it's hard to say how he compares. But it makes you think that the strength and agility he has in his lower body is the key to his success. He has burst off the line. He has lean in his rush and seems really hard to move off his line once he gets his shoulder into you. He bends at the hip. He extends on his tackles. He is tenacious. Football IQ and intangible stuff.

I mean, the kid was SEC DPOY, for Pete's sake! That doesn't happen by accident. 11.5 sacks, 19 TFLs, 2 FFs, 2 PDs in the SEC (as a senior) doesn't happen by accident. And you know he'll be coming into the NFL with a chip on his shoulder. Did the Rams get a steal?

Since you asked
  • Aaron Donald had 11 sacks, 28.5 TFLs, 3 PDs, 4 FFs in the ACC as a senior
  • Jad Clowney had 13 sacks, 23.5 TFLs, 2 PDs, 3 FFs his best year in college

and the other guys were first round picks, Sam in n the 7th a steal
train