Michael Sam doesn "look" thinner, but he

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
apparantly is, but's it's just a day, we'll see when things happen in full. Not sure but Westbrooks looks lighter that he did in OTAs, too.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
In his post practice interview the other day he said he lost 13 pounds since OTAs, but got stronger. He wants to be faster in order to make an impact on special teams.

Can't knock the kids motivation that's for sure.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I just dont see a use for him. just a tweener not good enough. unless hes a beast on special teams or plays amazing in preseason, Williams has too many other talented young players to plug into as many sub packages as he wants. practice squad

SierraRam

Recreational User
I just dont see a use for him. just a tweener not good enough. unless hes a beast on special teams or plays amazing in preseason, Williams has too many other talented young players to plug into as many sub packages as he wants. practice squad

SEC DPOY
1st Team All-American

The fact he's going to get a long look to make a talented team & the best DL in football tells me we drafted a hell of a football player. I believe Sam will make the team and contribute. One can focus on the measurables or roll the tape of him making play after play.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
SEC DPOY
1st Team All-American

The fact he's going to get a long look to make a talented team & the best DL in football tells me we drafted a hell of a football player. I believe Sam will make the team and contribute. One can focus on the measurables or roll the tape of him making play after play.
plenty of highly titled college players have failed in the NFL. i think Manziel might. those players he went against werent the NFC West. where would you put him besides special teams?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He needed to lose the weight and put it back on the right way,he'll take a year of good NFL training to get there but I think he can,everyone is pulling for the kid,I think he makes the PS ,if no one was going to draft him they won't rob him either.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He played RDE versus Greg Robinson, which, as this point had not happened. Sam had been playing LDE and Robinson RG, but in this rookie pre-camp stuff Sam was a RDE and Robinson was the LDT, wasn't full speed, but you could really see how quick Qobinson is.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
plenty of highly titled college players have failed in the NFL. i think Manziel might. those players he went against werent the NFC West. where would you put him besides special teams?

Why does a depth guy have to be put anywhere, besides Special Teams? No one is saying he should start or be part of the regular DE rotation. But they will keep 9 D-Linemen. If they decide to keep Westbrooks over Sam, where do they put him? And thus far, Michael Sam has a whole lot more potential to contribute on ST than Westbrooks does.

Where are you gonna put Daren Bates other than Special Teams? Bet he makes the team though. Not every player is kept because they have plans to be used as a STARTER. But I assume you know that.

Athos

Legend
Having him off the bench as a seek and destroy DE is a benefit. You plug him in and give him one job on plays designed for that.

A full house blitz or just throw him out there as a decoy to confuse guys.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Why does a depth guy have to be put anywhere, besides Special Teams? No one is saying he should start or be part of the regular DE rotation. But they will keep 9 D-Linemen. If they decide to keep Westbrooks over Sam, where do they put him? And thus far, Michael Sam has a whole lot more potential to contribute on ST than Westbrooks does.

Where are you gonna put Daren Bates other than Special Teams? Bet he makes the team though. Not every player is kept because they have plans to be used as a STARTER. But I assume you know that.
Agreed...and I also have to say that if he does get on the field on defense then shouldn't the mad scientist Gregg Williams have a plan for a "pass rusher" regardless of position? Seems to me he'd fit nicely anywhere as long as his job is to crash the line and get after the QB.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Coach, watch it or he's gonna call the Dragonzord. But kidding aside, I agree with all of this. I can't wait to see some preseason games so that we have some actual footage to use in these debates. First game is during my birthday trip, gonna have to watch it on my cell phone. Fiance wont be pleased. Football is more important then birthdays.

Greg Stone

Rookie
He needed to lose the weight and put it back on the right way,he'll take a year of good NFL training to get there but I think he can,everyone is pulling for the kid,I think he makes the PS ,if no one was going to draft him they won't rob him either.

I agree. If it is anywhere close to a tossup between him and another player Sam goes to the practice squad because they don't expect him to get poached.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

My contention is that Sam was taken for more reasons than football and therefore is going to get some extra consideration beyond one training camp ,so PS is a very real option to let him build himself to rotational ilk.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My contention is that Sam was taken for more reasons than football and therefore is going to get some extra consideration beyond one training camp ,so PS is a very real option to let him build himself to rotational ilk.

You think our division rivals don't want inside information?

CoachO

Hall of Fame

While I agree with you to a point, I think people are under valuing his pass rushing ability. I will not make the claim of him being worked into the rotation early in the season, but I can see there being instances where they put packages together vs. specific opponents (Denver, San Diego, Dallas) where pressuring the QB will be even more paramount than against other opponents.

If he earns his way onto the roster as a core ST contributor, he will find himself on the game day 46 man roster, and who knows what Williams may come up with.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Sam can keep Oprah away from camp, plays well enough to stay on the bubble, he won't make it to the practice squad.
There are too many other teams without a strong pass rush that could use him if he's good enough to play in this league.

The original shock of drafting him is over.
No distraction. No problems.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think he's got a fair path. There is competition between him and Ethan Westbrooks, so whoever the better player is, I think will get a roster spot, the other will be a PS guy. Westrbooks, to me is smoother, a bit quicker, Sam is kind os sudden and jerky, but still a good athlete. The weight change doesn make him look quicker in drills, but running down the field it seems to make a difference, but we're only talking a couple of practices. O do know the Sam does anny the coaces a bit because he's a "talker" . . . not a typical eyes open, mouth-shut rookie . . . but that's part of his personality.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If Sam can keep Oprah away from camp, plays well enough to stay on the bubble, he won't make it to the practice squad.
There are too many other teams without a strong pass rush that could use him if he's good enough to play in this league.

The original shock of drafting him is over.
No distraction. No problems.
Really you think a cause celeb like gay activism isn't a gift that will keep on giving? as long a Mike is gay it's a story for someone to exploit and exploit they will.

But I'm not going to get strident about it,I've said my peace.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Really you think a cause celeb like gay activism isn't a gift that will keep on giving? as long a Mike is gay it's a story for someone to exploit and exploit they will.

But I'm not going to get strident about it,I've said my peace.
Your right it. It could stay big news for a while. It might not.
I think most people don't really care. It will get old.

Any day now, some pro athlete may make a big splash with a huge news story that could take over the headlines.