Michael Bennett calls out Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://national.suntimes.com/nfl/7/72/1708648/michael-bennett-quarterbacks-paid-too-much

Michael Bennett is never short of interesting things to say.

The Seahawks defensive end didn’t hold back when he took a shot at quarterbacks in the league he feels are overpaid.

Bennett is dealing with a contract dispute of his own and he pointed out that average league quarterbacks are hauling in the kind of checks that other positions can only dream of.

“Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid,” Bennett said on 710 ESPN Seattle. “At every other position, you can’t be mediocre. If I was Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that’s the value of the position.

“And then it’s like, you’re sitting at home and there’s breaking news and it says that Brian Hoyer is the quarterback of the Texans. I’m like, who cares? That’s not breaking news. It’s really not breaking news.”

Bennett also fired a shot at Sam Bradford, who claimed that Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs targeted his knees during their preseason game.

“There’s some mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL that make a lot of money,” Bennett said. “You take a guy like Sam Bradford — he’s never played really in the last three years, but he’s made more money than most guys in the NFL.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's more.
I'm on my phone so copying/pasting is a ball breaker.

Bennett then referenced the Bradford-Suggs play from Saturday's game and the debate it has sparked.

"Then quarterbacks get protected more than any other player. I mean, he gets hit in his knees and he's about to cry," Bennett said, making a whimpering sound. "'They hit me in my legs.' Everybody gets hit in their legs. Every play somebody tries to hit me in my legs. So what makes him different? What makes his life better than mine? I've got kids. I've got stuff I like to do on the weekend. But because he gets hit in his legs, he gets a flag. He gets up with a sad face like the world just ended because he got hit. I mean, you got hit in an NFL game. Who cares? Get back up and be like, 'Good job.'"

Tom Brady because when Tom Brady gets hit, he gets up and is like, 'Good job. Good hit.' He gets back in the huddle and he holds his own like a man," Bennett said. "We've got guys in the NFL crying because they get hit. 'Oh, Suggs hit me and I'm running the read-option.'"

Bennett also credited Peyton Manningand Cam Newton for the toughness they show after being hit.

"But there's a whole bunch of young guys who haven't done anything in the NFL that are looking for flags," he said.

Bennett also talked about his own contract situation during the interview. He made it clear on several occasions over the offseason that he feels he's worth more than what he's making on the four-year, $28.5 million extension he signed before the 2014 season. Bennett said he considered holding out from training camp but decided to show up despite his dissatisfaction with his contract.

"I mean, I'm unhappy. But the thing is, this is my job and I can't let my unhappiness trump my professionalism," he said. "I still have to be a professional and keep trying but go out there and make sure that I'm proving why I think I'm one of the best defensive players in the league."

Bennett jokingly compared his situation to marital discord.

"I'm like a wife that's married to a guy, they have kids, and she can't leave because she loves the kids," he said. "I love the kids. Those are my teammates."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It won't be popular around here but I agree with him.

First, there is a different set of rules with QBs due to scarcity of guys who can do it well at this level. There are a lot of new QBs lookin for flags. It is BS that Bradford wouldn't work with the Rams after missing so many games, being paid so well, and receiving such great support from Fish.

If I were a defensive player I would hate them too. One of my favorite players ever, Deacon Jones, hated them. So no big deal from where I am sitting, the dude is speakin truth.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Bennett has a point but if he thinks Brady doesn't fucking cry to the refs on every hit he's never played football.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bennett....
Its called reality. You are much easier to replace than a top level or even average QB.
The position you play and the job you do, even when done at the top level, is less important.
Supply and demand.
Now, go F yourself.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bennett is dealing with a contract dispute of his own and he pointed out that average league quarterbacks are hauling in the kind of checks that other positions can only dream of.

That's like saying the right fielder should be paid as much as the starting pitcher. Dumb!

“There’s some mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL that make a lot of money,” Bennett said. “You take a guy like Sam Bradford — he’s never played really in the last three years, but he’s made more money than most guys in the NFL.”

True but in the case of Sam Bradford he was the #1 pick in the last year when big money was still being paid to rookies. Not his fault he was in the right place at the right time.

Bennett will make more money this year than a cop, fireman, or a member of the armed forces will make in ten lifetimes. Shut up!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and on Bradford getting up with the sad face? Truth. Many here made the same observation in fact.

QBs like Sam and RG3 would be hall of famers if the NFL was flag football. Unfortunately it's a man's game.

Ram65

Legend
He shoulda became a QB. Another Seachicken crying about only making Millions of $$$$$. I'm sick of all the talk. You signed a contract to play in the NFL so just go play.

Bennett also talked about his own contract situation during the interview. He made it clear on several occasions over the offseason that he feels he's worth more than what he's making on the four-year, $28.5 million extension he signed before the 2014 season. Bennett said he considered holding out from training camp but decided to show up despite his dissatisfaction with his contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately it's a man's game.
That's not really fair though. Getting blasted in the sternum or knee doesn't feel great to anyone. If he makes a stupid face, then he makes a stupid face. He's no less of a man than me or you because his expressions look goofy while he's in pain.

Everyone's got a different O face. Lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That's not really fair though. Getting blasted in the sternum or knee doesn't feel great to anyone. If he makes a stupid face, then he makes a stupid face. He's no less of a man than me or you because his expressions look goofy while he's in pain.

Everyone's got a different O face. Lol

mN1Zfpt.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm gonna make an argument for a sort-but-not-really out of left-field position. Until the NFL gets a developmental league back up, there's just too few QBs who have the skill-set to play competently in the NFL. Want the rules to favor them less, we need more available talent so that when they go down the drop off is more akin to other positions and not this monumental cliff that the team falls down.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess that’s the value of the position.

And there you go Michael.

While I agree that QBS are protected too much, that shot by Suggs was BS and I can't see how anyone could not see that. The over flagging of late hits and front on hits to the QB needs to stop. But unlike a DE that is going forward and maybe getting chopped, a QBs job is to keep his eyes down field and scan for receivers breaking open as well as trying to use peripheral vision to see a blitzer or a defender breaking free toward him. A DE or LB going in low is not only hard to pick up but almost impossible to avoid. And you can't tell me that defenders don't know that is the surest way to get a QB out of the game.

Bennett is just bitter over feeling he is underpaid. Maybe you should have tried learning the QB position Michael. It's not like they suddenly became the highest paid position. And maybe you should compare what happens when you leave the field versus your starting QB - mediocre or not.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Bennet doesn't like Bradford at all I remember last year around this time he was on espn and they asked him what team in the nfl west does the hawks believe have a chance. He said the Rams. But he eluded to we need a new qb and he said literally it's people on the defensive side of the ball in Seattle that believe Sam Bradford is soft.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Come on now that's not fair...to Ryan Tanehill he's an above average QB, potentially very above average if the Dolphins can get an OL that doesn't make the 2014 Rams look competent.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
"I got stuff I like to do on the weekends"

That's an awesome quote.

I sort of like this guy but I know he's a Seahawk so that won't be happening

But when he gets cut next week cause they have to pay his cry baby teammate Kam Chancellor I hope we pick him up for depth

maybe then I'll fully appreciate all his hard-hitting observations

FRO

Legend
He lost me when he applied a team record to why Tannehill shouldn't get paid. Tannehill wasn't responsible for his poor line and bad receivers. He actually had a pretty good year last year and is very talented. Is he overpaid? Sure. If he played on Seattle would "his record" be better? Absolutely.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Oh and on Bradford getting up with the sad face? Truth. Many here made the same observation in fact.

QBs like Sam and RG3 would be hall of famers if the NFL was flag football. Unfortunately it's a man's game.
Catch phrase of this new NFL year: body language, tells all. Does anyone out there, not targeting you, Merlin, think that Sam's face might have had to do with the fact that he was worried that in one cheap shot (late and low), he may be out for the year, maybe the rest of his career, deva vu style? The money that Sam has made was the NFL's doing, not his. Regarding Tannehill, and every other starting QB, the fact is, it is the hardest position to replace, and the probably the most important, IMO.

BTW, I don't mind that defensive lineman hate QB's, they should. I will also say that it's a good thing that the league tries to protect, not only QB's, but all the other players as well. The product is better, when both teams have their best playing. Nobody knows that better than Rams fans. Another thing to consider, players get bigger, stronger, and faster, every year, do we really want to see more horrific injuries on the field?

Last I checked, Tannehill had better stats in almost every category, than Wilson.

Last thing, the officiating needs to get better, or they need to have instant replay on all 15 yard, and longer penalties, because they can swing a game, entirely.

Last edited: