MemphisRams' Offseason Mock 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Newton might be a superior athlete, but I really believe that if Jones were playing in the same offense Newton played in at Auburn, he'd look very similar coming out of college. And methinks Hogan is a better athlete that you give him credit.

Looking for that quality traditional drop back passer that most teams never find? I'd pass, too. But, in the end, every single QB in this draft class needs development. The key is whether or not they go to a coaching staff that plays them to their strengths and not continue to try to fit these square pegs into round holes, IMO.

I think this is a major stretch. Urban Meyer's offense isn't all that different to begin with. I don't see the same mental processing speed with Cardale that I saw with Newton. Cardale obviously doesn't have a lot of experience so I'm willing to take a shot on him to develop in the right area of the draft...but counting on him to be an immediate starter doesn't seem like a great plan.

And maybe I am selling Hogan short but he's never impressed me as a passer or a runner.

I've hard your perspective on the traditional course of action. And while I don't think it's the best plan, I think it's a plan that can work to an extent. My problem is that you might be guilty of what you're accusing others of doing...trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

But in this draft class, I'd rather take a run at a traditional passer in the first round unless they're all gone. If that happens, I'm open to your plan...especially with a guy like Kaepernick who gives us a chance to develop a Cardale Jones or Jacoby Brissett behind him.

However, Hogan seems like an odd choice to me.

I am also curious what you think of guys like Johnny Manziel or Trevone Boykin. Are you not interested because you think they're too small to hold up at the NFL level in this sort of scheme?

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this is a major stretch. Urban Meyer's offense isn't all that different to begin with. I don't see the same mental processing speed with Cardale that I saw with Newton. Cardale obviously doesn't have a lot of experience so I'm willing to take a shot on him to develop in the right area of the draft...but counting on him to be an immediate starter doesn't seem like a great plan.

And maybe I am selling Hogan short but he's never impressed me as a passer or a runner.

I've hard your perspective on the traditional course of action. And while I don't think it's the best plan, I think it's a plan that can work to an extent. My problem is that you might be guilty of what you're accusing others of doing...trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

But in this draft class, I'd rather take a run at a traditional passer in the first round unless they're all gone. If that happens, I'm open to your plan...especially with a guy like Kaepernick who gives us a chance to develop a Cardale Jones or Jacoby Brissett behind him.

However, Hogan seems like an odd choice to me.

I am also curious what you think of guys like Johnny Manziel or Trevone Boykin. Are you not interested because you think they're too small to hold up at the NFL level in this sort of scheme?

But, who said anything about making anyone an immediate starter? I've already stated earlier that "I don't think that there is a rookie in this draft class I'd turn the reins over to in 2016. Not one."

We simply disagree on both Hogan and Jones (who sort of reminds me of Dante Culpepper). I don't believe that either has to be exactly like Newton to have success if played to his strengths just like Rodgers doesn't have to be like Roethlisbeger to have success.

Yes, though I believe that the QB position should be devalued a bit like the RB position, unless I've seen a smaller QB (Nick Marshall) play in more of a run based offense, I'm not a fan of smaller guys like Manziel, Boykin, or even RGIII. But, Dak Prescott on the other hand would be a great fit (See my next mock draft).

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, who said anything about making anyone an immediate starter? I've already stated earlier that "I don't think that there is a rookie in this draft class I'd turn the reins over to in 2016. Not one."

So if this mock happens...who is our starting QB?(BTW, I should mention that I love Carson Wentz)

We simply disagree on both Hogan and Jones (who sort of reminds me of Dante Culpepper). I don't believe that either has to be exactly like Newton to have success if played to his strengths just like Rodgers doesn't have to be like Roethlisbeger to have success.

I don't know that we disagree on Jones. I think we disagree on how ready he is to take over the offense. I'm perfectly fine with drafting Jones in the mid rounds. But we'd need a QB to start in 2016 if we're going to do that. Jones also reminds me of Culpepper. Although, I think Culpepper had a bit more straight-line speed.

We do disagree on Hogan. I don't like him. I think if you're going that direction, Jacoby Brissett makes more sense than Hogan. Brissett is surprisingly elusive and athletic and I like him better as a passer than Hogan. But he has similar flaws to Cardale.

Yes, though I believe that the QB position should be devalued a bit like the RB position, unless I've seen a smaller QB (Nick Marshall) play in more of a run based offense, I'm not a fan of smaller guys like Manziel, Boykin, or even RGIII. But, Dak Prescott on the other hand would be a great fit (See my next mock draft).

Understand the not liking small guys. Don't agree with devaluing the QB position.

Should state right now, not a fan of Dak Prescott. I think he's just plain average. Nothing impressive about his game to me. Not even an impressive athlete.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@jrry32

In this mock, the starting QB would be between Henne, Mannion, Keenum or whatever other veteran stop gap could be brought in. This is the type of stuff that teams have done for years and have to do while waiting to strike gold at the QB position if there isn't a Winston, Luck, Manning, Roethlisberger type that can be had at their selection on draft day.

Sad isn't it? IMO, it would be just as sad with any rookie in this class we would hope could immediately pan out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32

In this mock, the starting QB would be between Henne, Mannion, Keenum or whatever other veteran stop gap could be brought in. This is the type of stuff that teams have done for years and have to do while waiting to strike gold at the QB position if there isn't a Winston, Luck, Manning, Roethlisberger type that can be had at their selection on draft day.

Sad isn't it? IMO, it would be just as sad with any rookie in this class we would hope could immediately pan out.

I can't agree with that second sentence.