MemphisRam's Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'll probably only do one (maybe two) of these, but here goes:

GO AHEAD & MAKE AARON DONALD THE HIGHEST PAID DLINEMAN IN THE NFL

PAYCUT, TRADEBAIT, OR OUTRIGHT RELEASE
Tavon Austin - Horrible trade up to horrible contract
Mark Barron - An expensive Ogletree needs to be at his position
(Note: I'd move on from Quinn, but can't replace him yet)

OUTGOING FREE AGENTS

Trumaine Johnson - Solid #2 wants #1 CB Money
LaMarcus Joyner - Just like Rodney McCleod, market may overpay.
Dominique Easley - Questionable fit even prior to injury, IMO.
Lance Dunbar - Questionable signing in first place given knee injury history.

WELCOME BACK

Sammy Watkins - Be it a one year prove it or $10 millon per deal
John Sullivan - Will be 33, but back at a fair price until his replacement found.
Nickell Robey-Coleman - Solid nickel CB the team won't have to break the bank to keep.
Conner Barwin - Brought back at same 1 year $3.5 Million deal

Vet Minimum Returnees
Cody Davis, Derek Carrier, Jake McQuaide, Tyrunn Walker, Cornelius Lucas.

RFA Free Agent Tenders

Matt Longacre - 2nd round tender
Troy Hill - Minimum
Darrell Williams - Minimum
Malcolm Brown - Minimum

WELCOME ABOARD

Vontae Davis, CB, Colts - A better press man cornerback than T Johnson who should also be a cheaper alternative given he will be 30 and coming off a down season attempting to play through a groin injury prior to shutting it down.

Eric Reid, S, 49ers - Given his backing Kaepernick, someone is going to get a young quality safety cheap. Might as well be the Rams. John Johnson moves to FS where he probably belongs. Note: Reid can play some LB in certain packages.

Navorro Bowman, ILB, Raiders - He too will be 30 years old and thus cheaper than Barron and should allow Ogletree to move into Barron's playmaking LB spot where he belongs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL DRAFT
Quite frankly, I think Snead will probably deal back and try to recoup a selection, I won't make any trades in this mock draft.

1 Brian O'Neil, OT, Pittsburgh
th

Don't know if his stock will rise higher than this point of the draft or not, but either way, it might behoove the team to seek Whitworth's replacement sooner rather than later in this particular draft class.

3 Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech
1718-Camping-World-Bowl-Greg-Stroman-1-768x432.jpg

Good size, Good speed. Press man CB that Wade Phillips had more success with in Denver.

4 Jaylen Dunlap, CB, Illinois
th

Once again, good size, Good speed. Press man CB that Wade Phillips had more success with in Denver. You can never have too many, IMO.

5 Ito Smith, RB, Southern Mississippi
hqdefault.jpg

This kid is what Lance Dunbar was supposed to be in 2017. Perhaps the most elusive back in the draft with good speed and skills.

6 Brian Womac, DE/LB, Rice

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/944704260230533122

6 Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, DE/LB, Toledo
th

Early entry (Junior) with some pass rush potential finished season with 8.5 sacks, but will probably still be available due to measurables.

6 Ja'Whaun Bentley, ILB, Purdue
636239878291030659-LAF-Purdue-Spring-Practice-Day-2-15.jpg

Purdue's Defensive MVP is a stud run stuffing 250-260 ILB who will probaby have to get down to 240 or so to eventually stay on the field for 3 downs if he makes it.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the draft more than the Free Agents...Vontae Davis, seems to me, he was beaten quite often if memory serves me correctly, Eric Reid, not sure he fits in with a unified locker room.....As to the draft, I like O'Neil and really like Smith of Southern Miss, like the back to back CB selections too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no overpay for Joyner. He was a top safety this year, and if we don't re-sign Johnson, we need to keep Joyner IMO. I would like to keep both.

McCleod was a very different situation.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Sooo, you're keeping Barwin and letting Joyner go???

No way I would let Joyner walk away. He was a top 5 safety this year and he'd have to ask for stupid money for his contract to qualify as being overpaid.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gotta keep Joyner.

Bowman was solid this past season overall and yeah he might not get too much attention but could well end up being a very good FA pickup for someone. Davis though? Meh. Davis' decline isn't a new thing.

Reid would be solid, but Joyner in year 2 under this staff would be lights out and he adds flexibility to play the slot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think there is a limit for how much to pay Joyner. I love having him on the Rams but I have a feeling he will command too much. SS could be filled with a cheaper free agent like TJ Ward.

We will find out soon enough.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gotta keep Joyner.
As I have posted over and over I am going after Broncos ILB Todd Davis.
Longacre/Davis/Barron/Ogletree is what I am going with at LB. Samson O, Littleton, Hagar, Barwin (with no raise) and a rookie to provide depth.
The $11M of savings from letting Quinn go will more than pay for Davis coming in and Longacre and Barwin returning.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Interestingly, it does seem like with the way the cap is these days, more and more teams and players are doing 1 year prove it deals.

Fascinating.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Vontae Davis, CB, Colts - A better press man cornerback than T Johnson who should also be a cheaper alternative given he will be 30 and coming off a down season attempting to play through a groin injury prior to shutting it down.
Never forget him saying he needed to call his grandma when he was cut on Hardknocks...don't like his recovery speed...

Man!!!!! Mock drafts....love your mock draft...very good talent...I see you watch the college game. Love the 2 corners, that OT from Pitt...and I will look at that Boilermaker at ILB....

FA's...meh....MEH....

And, I'm not mad at moving on from Joyner either...he's gonna get paid from somewhere.

Can't believe you wanted to keep Barwin....for what? Hold Longacre and Samson back? Hell Carlos Thompson too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate the idea of letting Joyner walk after we developed him, finally put him in a position to thrive, and reaped the rewards of that. With him being an undersized safety, we should be able to keep him. Eric Reid is an underrated player, but I'd rather have Joyner. Plus, I don't agree that John Johnson is a natural FS in Wade's scheme.

The Vontae Davis signing is interesting. I wouldn't be comfortable with him being our #1, but he'd be an interesting signing as a #2.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
No way in hell do I want Vontae Davis in Horns. He's lost a step and sounds like a moody princess that has entitlement issues.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Great read Memphis. Love the draft and especially the Stroman pick. Interesting FA selections too.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
resign:
Sammy
Joyner
Barwin
NRC
Sullivan

Pick up in free agency
CB , like the vontae Davis idea
DT, sheldin richardson ?
Maybe MLB if they let barron go , I like the bowman idea

Draft:
CB or DT early
O line depth in middle rounds

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brian O'Neill has been getting whopped at the senior bowl. Not sure I'd take him round 1