Memento's 2017 Mock Offseason...in 2016.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know, I know, it's too early to think about things...but think of them, I do. So, without further ado, let's get down to business.

Fire: Jeff Fisher and everyone except for Groh, Waufle, and Dennard Wilson (defensive backs coach)

(I doubt that Williams will stay to run a team without Fisher, as they are close friends. I want to keep Groh as a full-time offensive coordinator, as the receivers have improved tremendously under his watch.)

Hire: David Shaw, HC, Stanford.

(The best option, in my opinion. Shaw has an eye for talent, and he gets the most out of his guys. I'm not sure which defensive coordinators are out there, so I'll leave it blank for now.)

Cut: William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes.

(I'll preface this by saying that I love all of them as people. Unfortunately, this is business, not personal. Hayes and Sims haven't produced, and in Hayes' case, has been injured. Barnes is not a good center, and Saffold simply makes too much for his production. And with Brown and Wichmann waiting in the wings, it's over for Saffold.)

Free Agency Losses: Trumaine Johnson, Kenny Britt, Chase Reynolds, Case Keenum, Dwayne Gratz, Cam Thomas, Dominque Easley.

(I think that Tru is gone; after all, we can't keep everyone. Britt could take more money or go to a better team. I like Easley, but I doubt he stays. Reynolds should've been gone last year, as should have Keenum. Thomas and Gratz are JAGs.)

Re-sign: T.J. McDonald, Greg Zuerlein, Brian Quick, Benny Cunningham, Ethan Westbrooks, Matt Longacre, Louis Trinca-Pasat.

(Quick has gone from an afterthought to a must-sign. With Goff playing, he'll be a dominant receiver. Cunningham and McDonald are also obvious re-signs. Zuerlein is better than any kicker we could get on the open market. Westbrooks, Longacre, and LTP are valuable depth.)

Trade: Lance Kendricks to the New York Jets for their third round pick.

(The Jets have no tight ends worth mentioning, as they have an aging Kellen Davis and a reclamation project in Austin Seferian-Jenkins as their only ones worth noting. Kendricks brings another target for whichever young quarterback they decide on for next year. Higbee and Hemingway pick up the slack.)

Draft

2. Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan.

3 (Jets). Ethan Pocic, C, LSU.

3. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State.

4. Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech.

5. Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova.

6. Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri.

(Pocic immediately becomes our starting center; he's big and run-blocks well. I really want us to get Kpassagnon; he's 6'7", 288 lbs., and is very quick for his size. Charlton reminds me of a better William Hayes. Conley and Facyson are good cover corners with size, which we'll need if we lose Tru.)

Thoughts are very much welcome.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn mento! I'll give some thoughts later...but damn...this just smacked me in the face....I like your focus on the need for a center...and the focus on DE, CB....three areas of need...

I see a strong class for TE's, DE's....and probably safeties...too bad we're all safetied out....ahahahahahahahah....I haven't watched Pocic much...I do know Fornette is having some trouble....So...let me take a look see...I'm gonna be watching for DE's & O-Line play...and corners...I too think we can't keep Tru...probably can't keep TJ either...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Don't know much about the players, really haven't looked into draft eligible players much yet or watched much college for that matter. But I can see, especially if that coach is brought back, that we focus on DLine and CB next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know, I know, it's too early to think about things...but think of them, I do. So, without further ado, let's get down to business.

Fire: Jeff Fisher and everyone except for Groh, Waufle, and Dennard Wilson (defensive backs coach)

(I doubt that Williams will stay to run a team without Fisher, as they are close friends. I want to keep Groh as a full-time offensive coordinator, as the receivers have improved tremendously under his watch.)

Hire: David Shaw, HC, Stanford.

(The best option, in my opinion. Shaw has an eye for talent, and he gets the most out of his guys. I'm not sure which defensive coordinators are out there, so I'll leave it blank for now.)

Cut: William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes.

(I'll preface this by saying that I love all of them as people. Unfortunately, this is business, not personal. Hayes and Sims haven't produced, and in Hayes' case, has been injured. Barnes is not a good center, and Saffold simply makes too much for his production. And with Brown and Wichmann waiting in the wings, it's over for Saffold.)

Free Agency Losses: Trumaine Johnson, Kenny Britt, Chase Reynolds, Case Keenum, Dwayne Gratz, Cam Thomas, Dominque Easley.

(I think that Tru is gone; after all, we can't keep everyone. Britt could take more money or go to a better team. I like Easley, but I doubt he stays. Reynolds should've been gone last year, as should have Keenum. Thomas and Gratz are JAGs.)

Re-sign: T.J. McDonald, Greg Zuerlein, Brian Quick, Benny Cunningham, Ethan Westbrooks, Matt Longacre, Louis Trinca-Pasat.

(Quick has gone from an afterthought to a must-sign. With Goff playing, he'll be a dominant receiver. Cunningham and McDonald are also obvious re-signs. Zuerlein is better than any kicker we could get on the open market. Westbrooks, Longacre, and LTP are valuable depth.)

Trade: Lance Kendricks to the New York Jets for their third round pick.

(The Jets have no tight ends worth mentioning, as they have an aging Kellen Davis and a reclamation project in Austin Seferian-Jenkins as their only ones worth noting. Kendricks brings another target for whichever young quarterback they decide on for next year. Higbee and Hemingway pick up the slack.)

Draft

2. Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan.

3 (Jets). Ethan Pocic, C, LSU.

3. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State.

4. Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech.

5. Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova.

6. Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri.

(Pocic immediately becomes our starting center; he's big and run-blocks well. I really want us to get Kpassagnon; he's 6'7", 288 lbs., and is very quick for his size. Charlton reminds me of a better William Hayes. Conley and Facyson are good cover corners with size, which we'll need if we lose Tru.)

Thoughts are very much welcome.

Not your best work.

I don't get the love for Shaw.

Why get rid of Hayes and Simms? The are good value for the money and who replaces them?

Letting Tru walk totally depends on the money. If anything the Rams need to keep him and draft a top corner. Why let Britt, Thomas,and Easley walk? Britt is the best receiver on the team. Easley and Thomas are good rotational DTs. The Rams are flush with cap space this year. They expect to have around 70 million in cap space.

I can see resigning TJ if he doesn't break the bank, Zuerlein if he is cheap, move on from Quick, keep Westbrooks. Longacre and Trinca-Passat only if they are cheap.

The draft

This is a fantastic corner draft. The Rams could get a first round corner in round 2. I bet there will be a much higher rated corner when the Rams pick in round 2, than Charlton is rated at DE. Future DE is a big need but they can't pass up a corner. The best defenses in the league are stacked at dbs. It is a passing league. Arizona, Seattle, Denver all have excellent dbs and are league leading defenses. The Rams should have gone after a DE last off-season. There were some good ones available in free agency. They will have trouble finding one in the draft or FA IMO.

You are off on Conley. He could go in round 1. The Rams would be lucky to get him in round 2.

I think Pocic and Elflein go late round 1 or round 2. Think Dallas here This is a crappy OT draft. Ditto for QB. That will push other positions up. Dallas took their center in round 1. Mack has been a leader on the Falcons line. Teams will copy it and value those two centers, especially Pocic.

The rounds 4-7 guys are a toss up at this point.

With Quinn's seizures the Rams are going to be hurting at DE if his career is over. I really wanted them to sign JPP or Vernon. I guess they didn't have the space but they may be regretting not making it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am good with the David Shaw hiring.

We've had this discussion before. Lance Kendricks is not netting us a third round pick. He's an average starting TE.

I think cutting Will Hayes is a mistake. He's on a reasonable contract, he's a team leader, and he's still providing solid play.

I also think it's a mistake to let Trumaine Johnson get away.

I haven't jumped into the draft yet. But I think going after an OL early makes a lot of sense.