McVay's In Game Coaching Process

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
It was both jarring and intriguing to see McVay huddled in the corner prepping o strategy and other duties on the water coolers.

Do you think this type of workload (head coach, OC, play caller) is sustainable or will our prized, young buck burn out?

Do you think this style is a form of coaching that this new generation will usher in? i.e "In the trenches"

What are some viable alternatives to this approach, do you think McVay will eventually assign more duties to his staff?

I personally think it may be too much for McVay -- he even commented on his exhaustion with the quick turnaround for Thursday in the post game presser.

I hope as the offense develops he'll be able to take a less hands on approach and become more managerial.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
i love it. it makes me laugh when they show him on the bench prepping for the next time we get the ball. he lets his coaches coach on D

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont Believe it will lead to burn out it's why mcvay has the coaches he has ... he lets them do what they are paid to do ... and do what they are best at ... he can concentrate on the offense and let those more versed deal with the side of the ball

Ellard80

Legend
It's worked for the offense.. but I've never seen a great coach who did what he is doing right now and only pay attention to one side of the ball in such a totality.

I felt like there were times he didn't know what was going on this year because of his unusual style.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay was hired as an offensive guru. He's going to ensure the offense is good, as he should. Him listening in on Wade when the defense is on the field isn't gonna add all that much.

Gotta remember he's a rookie head coach. Cut the dude some slack IMO, he's doing a great job.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Do you think this type of workload (head coach, OC, play caller) is sustainable or will our prized, young buck burn out?

Don't think it's sustainable, it's gonna burn McVay out eventually. Luckily LaFleur has a similar offensive background and I expect him to handle playcalling on offense once he fully picks up McVay's nuances.

Do you think this style is a form of coaching that this new generation will usher in? i.e "In the trenches"

Doubt it, multitasking can only go so far; quality of the work is gonna deteriorate exponentially if expected to perform like that continuously. Luckily McVay understands where and when to delegate roles to his respective coaches and that should translate to lightened workload.

What are some viable alternatives to this approach, do you think McVay will eventually assign more duties to his staff?

Again it boils down to delegating proper roles to his respective staff. A cohesive coaching staff will narrow down McVay's problems to identifying the nuances of gameplanning; hoping McVay can develop a killer instinct with situational football like Belichick

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
i love it. it makes me laugh when they show him on the bench prepping for the next time we get the ball. he lets his coaches coach on D

Yup, that's why the Rams went and got WP. McVay doesn't even have to think about defense.

Big Game

Living The Dream
If him sitting on Watercoolers keeps Goff and the offense putting up 40 points a game. Then i volunteer to be the first person to make sure he has a nice comfy watercooler to sit on at each game. lol :mrburnsevil:

A55VA6

Legend
I like it. He actually enjoys having those responsibilities, while leaning on his other coaches to handle their units while he's making adjustments. I think if McVay wasn't doing that last night, we may have lost the game.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
McVay had the look of a deep-thinker trying to out fox Shanahan, et al. And since he's the offensive-minded coach, he wants to be responsible for the offensive performance. And it showed last night. But overall, he delegates the responsibilities to the other coaches, e.g. when Fassel recommended a fake punt in last Sunday's game against the Skins and McVay seemed OK with it.

Ellard80

Legend
The offense is performing well.. so at this point in time... yeah he should keep it going. But at some point I think you have to change.

I'm just trying to be realistic and objective in the longer scheme of things.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
He's a 1st time head coach that's offensive minded, as time goes by he will develop much like his players

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I laughed at first and thought it was strange but then you realize he has Wade. I'd be worried if he was interfering with Wade instead of doing what he does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One note here too re: the future and playcalling... It is going to get easier for McVay as Goff matures in the offense. As that happens at some point he might well be comfortable working the gameplan and letting his OC call the game. There will be a lot more room for error at that point.

Just like with the offensive involvement of guys like Watkins. As Goff improves week to week so will the play of the others around him. That includes play calling IMO.

Ram65

Legend
It was both jarring and intriguing to see McVay huddled in the corner prepping o strategy and other duties on the water coolers.

It was different. He looked focused and that's what is important.

I don't know what he will do. There was a day in the life write-up during the off season with McVay. It showed he gets all his coaches involved. He asked their opinions and seems always willing to listen. Game calling seems to be his thing. Many coaches do it. I would imagine that Matt LaFleur and other coaches give input to the game plan. Short week with travel has to take it's toll on everyone. I like McVay calling plays. When he is ready to give LeFleur the responsibility then will see if their is a difference. I do hope he has help critiquing his play calling.

Psycho_X

Legend
If sitting on the cooler looking at a tablet lets us score 40+ points a game he can do it as much as he damn well feels like it lol. It is a little weird not seeing the head coach involved with what is going on with the D. What if they needed to call a time out... does Wade Phillips have authority to do that? Some minor questions like that I have. But score 40+... do whatever the hell you want Sean.