McDaniels/Cable bow out of 49ers coaching search/Kyle Shanahan to be offered job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
They didn't cancel because they "fell in love" with McVay. They cancelled because of weather delays if I recall correctly. Completely out of their control.

That was the first go around.
They had rescheduled him for later after the weather issue.
The Rams cancelled the rescheduled interview because they "fell in love" with McVay.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
That was the first go around.
They had rescheduled him for later after the weather issue.
The Rams cancelled the rescheduled interview because they "fell in love" with McVay.
I see. Thanks for clarifying

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've interviewed/hired people for years, I get the 'gut' feeling thing, however I have to disagree with 'falling in love' with one candidate and excluding others. I think you limit yourself by doing that. Ironically I recall Snead saying we have to avoid "falling in love" with one player and excluding others.
I have as well. I think it is a huge leap of assumption that the Rams merely fell in love with McVay.

In a high level search, there are many more moving parts than the interview. In many cases, the interview is used to firm up impressions on the candidates or to see if there is additional information you didn't already know.

In a great many cases, you will have made a preliminary decision and are looking to see if someone can come in and either cement it or change your mind.

Rarely do you go into a high level interview with no leanings or grades on the candidates.

In a case where the candidate is known to be interviewing with other companies, that can weigh in quite heavily. If you believe a candidate is your guy and interviewing other prospects is either merely a formality or will give an impression of a lack of commitment, you will often cancel further interviews.

My guess is that they simply had Shanny graded below McVay - possibly well below. Knowing that Wade was endorsing the hire and ready to jump on board no doubt carried additional weight.

In that case, I think you simply make the move and get started.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Rumors from Niner fans now that Shanny is being given control of the 53 man roster. Even happier now than ever we didn't hire him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So why do they get to offer the job to the coach that WE should have hired? Didn't even interview this guy? Really?

Why should we have hired him? The Rams had far more information on Shanahan than you or I. Let's say that we do hire Shanahan, we'd have had to wait to do it. That means missing out on Wade Phillips and many of the other top coaching candidates. I love what the Rams did.

They got the top defensive coordinator in the NFL along with a highly regarded offensive-minded HC and kept Fassel. I'm not sure how this situation could have played out any better. Especially with the red flags about Kyle Shanahan's personality.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's like the 49ers have the cooties or something. :sneaky:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/19/eliot-wolf-withdraws-from-49ers-g-m-search/

Eliot Wolf withdraws from 49ers G.M. search
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 19, 2017

483429236-e1458574216207.jpg
Getty Images

If the 49ers were down to four finalists for their General Manager position, they’re down to three now.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Packers executive Eliot Wolf has pulled out of the hunt for San Francisco’s General Manager position.

That usually means he wasn’t going to get it, and Wolf apparently got a new deal in Green Bay out of the deal.

He’s viewed a possible successor to Packers G.M. Ted Thompson, though he was reportedly upset by being blocked from interviewing with the Lions last offseason.

The 49ers have also identified Packers executive Brian Gutekunst and Minnesota assistant G.M. George Paton as finalists, with Arizona vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough still a possibility as well.

Those three could be part of the next round of meetings the 49ers have with incoming coach Kyle Shanahan.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's like the 49ers have the cooties or something. :sneaky:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/19/eliot-wolf-withdraws-from-49ers-g-m-search/

Eliot Wolf withdraws from 49ers G.M. search
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 19, 2017

483429236-e1458574216207.jpg
Getty Images

If the 49ers were down to four finalists for their General Manager position, they’re down to three now.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Packers executive Eliot Wolf has pulled out of the hunt for San Francisco’s General Manager position.

That usually means he wasn’t going to get it, and Wolf apparently got a new deal in Green Bay out of the deal.

He’s viewed a possible successor to Packers G.M. Ted Thompson, though he was reportedly upset by being blocked from interviewing with the Lions last offseason.

The 49ers have also identified Packers executive Brian Gutekunst and Minnesota assistant G.M. George Paton as finalists, with Arizona vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough still a possibility as well.

Those three could be part of the next round of meetings the 49ers have with incoming coach Kyle Shanahan.
How bad is it when you are pissed by being blocked from the job in DETROIT and then back away from the job in Frisco. I sure hope this is just yet another sign of dysfunction in whiner land.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I have as well. I think it is a huge leap of assumption that the Rams merely fell in love with McVay.

In a high level search, there are many more moving parts than the interview. In many cases, the interview is used to firm up impressions on the candidates or to see if there is additional information you didn't already know.

In a great many cases, you will have made a preliminary decision and are looking to see if someone can come in and either cement it or change your mind.

Rarely do you go into a high level interview with no leanings or grades on the candidates.

In a case where the candidate is known to be interviewing with other companies, that can weigh in quite heavily. If you believe a candidate is your guy and interviewing other prospects is either merely a formality or will give an impression of a lack of commitment, you will often cancel further interviews.

My guess is that they simply had Shanny graded below McVay - possibly well below. Knowing that Wade was endorsing the hire and ready to jump on board no doubt carried additional weight.

In that case, I think you simply make the move and get started.

I also think it's naive to think that the Rams didn't reach out to teams that had interviewed him just to get an overall feel. Teams do tend to share things like "he did well" or "he didn't do well". Word got out from several of his interviews that "he came across arrogant".

I mean...damn. That's not good. I think when the Rams had to have heard that from multiple sources and then had McVay in the building with guys like Faulk saying "he's the guy" and all the feedback from guys like Cooley to other former players and coaches singing his praises (and ZERO negatives), it only made sense to pull the trigger as the SF 49ers had scheduled a second interview AS WELL as they were so impressed after the first interview that they gave the phone numbers of GB FO personnel they were considering for GM so that he could vet them.

I'm still not convinced that Shanny goes to SF.

It's entirely possible that he decides to stay in ATL or that in his arrogance, he holds them hostage and they move on from him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch Dallas up and fire Garrett and swoop in and hire Shanny themselves....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/20/brian-gutekunst-withdraws-from-49ers-g-m-search/

Brian Gutekunst withdraws from 49ers G.M. search
Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2017

There were two Packers executives included among the candidates for the 49ers General Manager job, but it appears neither one of them will be making the move to Santa Clara.

A day after director of football operations Eliot Wolf withdrew from the search, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst has also pulled his name from consideration. Schefter reports that Gutekunst has signed a new deal with the Packers, which was also the case for Wolf.

Both men were on a list of candidates invited back for a second interview. Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Cardinals vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough are believed to be the other candidates for the position.

The 49ers are expected to hire Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan as their head coach and reports earlier this week had the team planning conversations between Shanahan and the G.M. candidates after the NFC Championship Game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is great to watch. I love seeing more GMs back out of the SF job, it's beautiful.

And tbh while I have enormous respect for Shanahan it's not like the guy comes without questions. For all the flak the Rams have gotten for going with a 30 year old, he at least doesn't have a history of problems with others, from coaches to players. Kyle does have some flags for concern, so if he does have thin skin and/or issues working with some types it could make for even better drama when he finds himself being questioned by York's punk @$$.

At least that's my hope. I don't like seeing a mind like his going to SF, so the best possibility for us is that he's not ready and York shows him the door in a year or two.