Matt LaFleur interviewed for Titans HC job/Mike Vrabel hired instead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tushar

UDFA
Name
Tushar
I would hate to see him go as he has played a big part in Goff's development. Man, Coach McVay assembled a great staff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a kick in the nuts, Rams would have never let Olson go

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We all knew, after the Season McVay had, other Teams would be looking at our Coaching Staff, No surprise here!!

TexasRam

Legend
He’s still a little green.

Needs to work on speaking in front of a crowd and getting more comfortable, or he will get eaten alive. As of now he regularly stumbles over his words and appears frightened in front of the press. This could be fixed with practice.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I hope this is an experience thing for Lafleur. I like him and I think he has potential to one day become that head coach, but right now I don't think he is anywhere near experienced enough. 1 year as an offensive coordinator and didn't even call plays.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the reality is that as long as McVay is our HC, we dont lose our OC....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
LaFleur is a 1 year OC who has never called a play...

He'll get a job eventually, but have a hard time believing Titans take that risk now. He doesn't exactly light up the room.

1. Mike Vrabel (who will be his OC)
  2. Jim Schwartz (Contingent on DeFilippo coming with him)
  3. Frank Reich
  4. Jim Bob Cooter (Dark Horse Candidate)
  5. John DeFilippo (Might just be their guy)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, the reality is that as long as McVay is our HC, we dont lose our OC....

Agreed. Only concern I'd have is how many assistants he might want to take with him and will Sean let him. There are some dudes who did a good job for us on both sides of the ball and I'd like to see them continue the same program in year two.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LaFleur is a 1 year OC who has never called a play...

He'll get a job eventually, but have a hard time believing Titans take that risk now. He doesn't exactly light up the room.

1. Mike Vrabel (who will be his OC)
  2. Jim Schwartz (Contingent on DeFilippo coming with him)
  3. Frank Reich
  4. Jim Bob Cooter (Dark Horse Candidate)
  5. John DeFilippo (Might just be their guy)

I find Frank Reich very intriguing what with his background and exposure to the game as a QB, not to mention what he did with Carson Wentz. Of all the names out there right now, he'd be among the ones I'd be most looking forward to interviewing to get a feel for if I were an owner/GM. And if I'm running a team that has or needs to draft a young QB he'd be in the mix along with Cooter.

On the other side of the ball Jim Schwartz has been lights out in his coordination of that defense and helping the Eagles advance in the playoffs after losing Wentz. If he's not the top guy on your board you crazy lol. Vrabel is very well thought of and rightly so, but his defense blew @$$ this season while Schwartz has put on a damn clinic.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
On the other side of the ball Jim Schwartz has been lights out in his coordination of that defense and helping the Eagles advance in the playoffs after losing Wentz. If he's not the top guy on your board you crazy lol. Vrabel is very well thought of and rightly so, but his defense blew @$$ this season while Schwartz has put on a damn clinic.

Only knock on Reich is his age, 56, but Zimmer was 57 when he got his first gig as to Schwartz, I felt he did a decent job in Detroit, actually took them to the playoffs for the first time in many years and put together a decent coaching staff, but ran into some bad luck with injuries....Wonder who he could bring in as an OC as he had Linehan in Detroit...If Schwartz could bring DeFilippo with him as OC/QB Coach that might seal the deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only knock on Reich is his age, 56, but Zimmer was 57 when he got his first gig as to Schwartz, I felt he did a decent job in Detroit, actually took them to the playoffs for the first time in many years and put together a decent coaching staff, but ran into some bad luck with injuries....Wonder who he could bring in as an OC as he had Linehan in Detroit...If Schwartz could bring DeFilippo with him as OC/QB Coach that might seal the deal.

Yeah Schwartz and DeF would be a very nice duo, but don't forget they might retain Jimbo. Just hire a good run game coordinator to ensure you have the gameplanning side covered.

The hire I'm really tracking is the Cards. I'd prefer they don't hire Schwartz.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The hire I'm really tracking is the Cards. I'd prefer they don't hire Schwartz.

They really wanted Shurmur, most lkely Steve Wilks, who IMHO, would be a better hire than Shurmur, but I agree hoping Schwartz does not in up in Arizona.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I hope this is an experience thing for Lafleur. I like him and I think he has potential to one day become that head coach, but right now I don't think he is anywhere near experienced enough. 1 year as an offensive coordinator and didn't even call plays.
Agreed. He still needs to prove what he can do, and being OC for one year with no play calling responsibilities doesn’t really give him that needed experience. However, if the Rams offense is just as good, if not better next season, I don’t think he will be the Rams OC for long after the 2018 season.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the mcvay coaching tree has been planted ;)

Montanaramfan

Rookie
the mcvay coaching tree has been planted ;)

Ha! I like that. The other day I was talking to my son, also a Rams fan (as if he had a choice) about how Saban is 66 years old and Belichick is 65. To think that we could have McVay for 10, 20, hell even 30 years...What could he accomplish in that time? I really think the Rams struck gold with his hire. Yeah, we lost out in the playoffs but he has come in and completely changed the culture with the team. No longer are we the losingest most team of the 90s or the laughingstock of the league (thanks Jeff Fisher). If we can keep McVay, Gurley and Goff together for several years we could be in for one heck of a ride.