Man did the NCAA get it wrong again?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't know what test Michigan passes. They were terrible down the stretch and instead of whining about blown calls Michigan should have gained some yardage in the 2nd half and maybe scored some more points
Hmm, Seems like turnovers killed them vs Ohio state
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869650
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869650
crucial turnovers. their QB played like garbage. never should have went into OT.
Now, bowl games are different. Some teams wanna be there, I guessed Mich didn't. Plus, they were surprised by their best player suddenly being unavailable. However, FSU is a quality team.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400876105
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400876105
I do think they're better than both FSU....but especially OSU.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Too bad USC started off so bad, this is one of the best and most talented teams in the country.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like they got it wrong, USC should have been in the finals.

That was a very entertaining game. I hate the targeting rule it's such garbage. This game had two young QB's that if their teams keep up the recruiting could be in the college championships soon.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like the selection committee got it right after all

I don't know about that. Maybe Penn St. and USC should have been in the final 4. The ranking system, if we can call it that, is ridiculous. But look at the two participants from the Rose Bowl. USC won 8 straight going into the RB. PSU won 9 straight. USC beat Washington in mid-November, in Washington! PSU beat Ohio St. and a strong Wisconsin team in the final week. IMO, it was fitting these two played the most exciting game of the entire bowl season.

Ohio St.? Over rated as always. They beat Michigan late, but then everybody beat Michigan late. The squeaked by 3-9 Michigan St 17-16 and 6-6 Northwestern (at home) 24-20. Washington? The Pac-12 was weak. Extremely weak. The best teams IMHO? USC, Stanford, Colorado and Washington. Everybody knows the best conference is the SEC. After that (this year) I'd have to say the ACC, then the Big 10.

But back to the selection process. I'd throw out the first 3 weeks of everybody's schedule and then look at the remaining schedule. How did they play the final 9 games (and conference Championship Game if they were in it)? Who were the best teams in the months of November? Who were the best teams at season's end?

Alabama
Clemson
Penn St.
USC
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Ohio St.
Washington

am I missing anybody? I'm sorry but I'd like a REAL playoff system.

1. You have to win a division in a major conference
2. Any conference not named SEC, ACC, Big10, PAC12, Big 12...IS NOT a major conference. Notre Dame? Join a conference if you want to get into the Bowl Playoff System
3. 4 team playoff; 4 of the 5 conference champions
4. 8 team playoff; the 5 conference champions and 3 of the 5 losers.

It would still leave room for error but not as much. It would be more black and white. If you can't win a division in your conference, you shouldn't have a bitch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you can't win a division in your conference, you shouldn't have a bitch.
The system is flawed but its light years ahead of where we've been.
They will never have a full playoff system, and if they expand to 6 teams, then team #7 will beyotch
Penn State was a fun team to watch but they weren't a top 4 team
The Big 10 turned out to be a joke, thank god for perennial power house Northwestern and Minnesota for winning their games.
The title of the thread suggest that some egregious error was made in the picks, and it just isn't the case.
Ohio State got crushed, but they were a top 4 team heading in to that game. 1 loss all year by 3 points on the road?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was an error. Ohio St. didn't deserve to be there. They were over rated and that happens because of many things. The fact they usually have a good record. The fact they won in 2014. The fact their coach is Urban Meyer. It's not unlike Florida St. during Bowden's heyday. Or Florida during Spurrier's. Alabama isn't over rated. They've been a historical powerhouse, having won the title 4 of the last 7 years. A huge reason I'm rooting for Clemson. As I did way, way back when Danny Ford's Tigers beat Nebraska (? or Oklahoma). I think the only team truly in question in the top 4 was OSU. The fact they didn't win a division. The fact they lost to Penn St., who was arguably one of the hottest teams in the country the last 8-9 weeks. USC was in the same boat, having beat Washington but like OSU, they didn't win a division. My only biotch with the final 4 was Ohio St.. And they got blown out, not just beaten. PSU and USC both deserved to win that game and both deserved to lose. But they played their collective asses off in the process entertaining everybody who watched the Rose Bowl. Washington lost to Alabama, the odds on favorite to win it all, but they didn't get embarrassed. OSU did, proving they didn't deserve to be there to begin with. JMHO, as always.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, Ohio State deserved to be there, just like Michigan State deserved it last year. Blow outs happen.

Losses still matter more than anything, even if people don't talk about it. We would have been 2nd in the BCS, we were 3rd in these rankings...

Clemson was a bad match up for OSU, but we still should have played better. Just a bad game and a great game by Clemson, all the way around. Doesn't happen often, but Meyer got out prepared and out coached.

Michigan and Penn State losing, along with Ohio State, proves to me that the Big 10 was overrated this year.

Impossible to say Ohio State didn't deserve to be there when our resume during the season was so damn impressive. Wins against so many top teams and if you believe that Penn State is a great team, then a 3 point road loss to a great team? No other team aside from Bama had that kind of resume.

Under the BCS system it would have been us against Bama in the championship - obviously that would have been a mistake. The top two teams are playing for the title which is all we can hope to come of this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, Ohio State deserved to be there, just like Michigan State deserved it last year. Blow outs happen.

Losses still matter more than anything, even if people don't talk about it. We would have been 2nd in the BCS, we were 3rd in these rankings...

Clemson was a bad match up for OSU, but we still should have played better. Just a bad game and a great game by Clemson, all the way around. Doesn't happen often, but Meyer got out prepared and out coached.

Michigan and Penn State losing, along with Ohio State, proves to me that the Big 10 was overrated this year.

Impossible to say Ohio State didn't deserve to be there when our resume during the season was so damn impressive. Wins against so many top teams and if you believe that Penn State is a great team, then a 3 point road loss to a great team? No other team aside from Bama had that kind of resume.

Under the BCS system it would have been us against Bama in the championship - obviously that would have been a mistake. The top two teams are playing for the title which is all we can hope to come of this.
I am no fan of OSU but they were without question 1 of the top 4 teams.
I know its the same for all teams but you just never know how teams will get up for a game when they sit idle for so long.
Having a week or two off is one thing, but once teams are off the field for over a month? That's a lot.
Again, not making an excuse, they got waxed.
A 1 loss team cant get in over an undefeated team and a 2 loss team (which was inconceivable could even be in the conversation for top 4) cant get in over a 1 loss team.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
If the shitty refs wouldn't have screwed Michigan out that OSU game we would have ran the playoffs.

Pennstate shouldn't have even been in the question of playoffs and OSU would never have been either of the game wouldn't have been f'd by the refs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too bad Bama is being cheap shot kings this game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good thing they got it wrong and put that Clemson team in there :D

AWWWW YEAH GO TIGERS GO!!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wow, what a fucking game to watch...Unbelievable...Clemson broke it off in the ass of the vaunted Alabama defense to win it...I'm thrilled for the kids of Clemson...Most exciting FBS game I can recall...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won $9,260 betting on it in the sports book too :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm hoping a bunch of guys are like me when I first became a member at ROD...I thought the more money you had, the more your OPINION should be valued. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Let @OldSchool know.... LOLOLOLOLOLOOL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gut says Penn State will get eaten alive by the Trojans today..With a true pro-style QB....

Gut? Eaten alive? Man you were wrong. I don't get why everyone understimates PSU so badly. That Michigan Loss was early in the year with a totally new offense, and debilitating injuries to the LBing corps. PSU still has some depth issues from sanctions, so their 5,6, 7 LBers are not what most teams are. They would love to have played that game later in the year when it all started to click and they were healthier.

I think SC blows out Penn State today

You thought wrong..........eat it. USC had the better athletes and it was still a very close game. Two key suspensions by Franklin for academic reasons couldn't have helped. Taking away PSU's fasted WR and deep threat and their most athletic LBer had to hurt, but damn USC had 3 thoroughbreds at WR and a QB even better at improvising than McSorley. Still it was a close game. Barkeley's run to open the second half was crazy good btw.

Looks like the selection committee got it right after all

I still don't see how you think this. Unless you think playing it safe and going with the least amount of losses instead of who is playing the best football at the end of the season is right. Conference Championships award the teams that play good enough to get there and at the top of their game by seasons end.... a la the NFL.

Ohio St.? Over rated as always. They beat Michigan late, but then everybody beat Michigan late. The squeaked by 3-9 Michigan St 17-16 and 6-6 Northwestern (at home) 24-20. Washington? The Pac-12 was weak. Extremely weak. The best teams IMHO? USC, Stanford, Colorado and Washington. Everybody knows the best conference is the SEC. After that (this year) I'd have to say the ACC, then the Big 10.

Exactly. Meyer being the coach and reputation alone gets them votes.

They will never have a full playoff system,

Unfortunately I think you are right. Ratings were lower for the Championship games than they were for major bowls.
I think the Monday Night thing is part of the reason....that and people are just tired of watching Alabama's boring brand of thug football.

Penn State was a fun team to watch but they weren't a top 4 team

Disagree. They were top 4. They could beat Washington and they did beat Ohio State. USC would be just barely ahead of them.
People act as if that OSU win didn't happen or it was a fluke. When PSU blocked the field goal they were only losing by 3 points. It wasn't 40 to nothing. It was 3 lousy points. It was a very close game. Plus OSU had half the quarter to come back and couldn't because their offensive line stunk this year.

Ohio State got crushed, but they were a top 4 team heading in to that game. 1 loss all year by 3 points on the road?

They had some close games against some mediocre opponents late. Teams figured them out. They were not playing as well in the second half. Did you watch much of Ohio State this year? They had a leaky Oline that didn't give Barrett time to throw or anywhere to run.

Because Ohio State isn't that good this year. Pitt beat Clemson. They are not unbeatable. Ohio State got overrated because of reputation. They are nowhere near as good as they were two years ago, not even close.

I am no fan of OSU but they were without question 1 of the top 4 teams.

You keep saying it and I don't think you really watched them much at the end. I did not see a top 4 team against PSU, MSU or Northwestern. I didn't think they looked good against Michigan either.........despite winning and despite Michigan looking like crap late in the year too.