Making the switch from Windows to Linux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd like to hear more about Ubuntu......I played with it years ago and it was OK........whats it like now?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
do u want to plug in instruments into your PC? what's your desired source?

I plug the bass and guitars, acoustic and electric, along with microphones directly into the pc. There are synths, pianos, drums and other instruments that I program in my DAW, FL Studio 10, which are then mixed into stereo.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Best DAW for Ubuntu?
http://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=6784.0

Setting Up A DAW in Ubuntu For Beginners
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7902

Using your guitar (or other instrument) in Ubuntu via Jack
http://www.vladalexandruionescu.com/2013/01/using-your-guitar-or-other-instrument.html

Sound card for your laptop?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCG102-USB-Guitar-Link/dp/B000PAPO9W
619AKv0LZ-L._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Windows 8 is awful. 7 is good though. If they would ditch that bullshit tablet stuff they're doing with 8 (or at least make it optional) it would be so much better. The problem is despite consumers loudly stating their displeasure (sale of PCs have dropped since the release) they're still trying to force it. Which sucks

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Windows 8 is awful. 7 is good though. If they would ditch that bullcrap tablet stuff they're doing with 8 (or at least make it optional) it would be so much better. The problem is despite consumers loudly stating their displeasure (sale of PCs have dropped since the release) they're still trying to force it. Which sucks

7 isn't bad, but I've always preferred XP and thought it was their best effort. After suffering through ME though Microsoft owes me a better version of 8, I agree with you the PC version needs to be a bit different from the tablet and phone version. For the life of me I don't know why they don't get that, all they have to do is look at what Apple did.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Windows 8 is awful. 7 is good though. If they would ditch that bullcrap tablet stuff they're doing with 8 (or at least make it optional) it would be so much better. The problem is despite consumers loudly stating their displeasure (sale of PCs have dropped since the release) they're still trying to force it. Which sucks

My work PC is a Lenovo Helix with Win-8 and I love it.

I think Win-8 wouldn't be as good, however, without a touch screen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
People who think the Mac are a great machine are drinking Apple's marketing koolaid.

And the Apple folks would call you too stubborn to know what you are talking about. :sneaky:

I am a self proclaimed tech geek. I buy and sell tech gear constantly.
  • I used to build and sell (for fun) PCs
  • I have used every version of windows since 3.1
  • I have owned Windows laptops and tablets
  • I have owned and installed custom Android ROMS, from the Dell Streak thru each of the Galaxy Note series.
Again, constantly buying and selling.

Initially when outfitting my family with laptops, I tried Toshiba, Sony, and Dell... But constantly had "to fix problems" related to virus, bad software installs or updates, etc.

The last 3 years; it been 100% Apple into my household for personal computers. Here's why; they just work. And... They last.

My days of being the household IT guy is gone!

That said, I got my eye on what Windows is doing with the Surface. I think they might win the laptop/tablet hybrid race.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
And the Apple folks would call you too stubborn to know what you are talking about. :sneaky:

I am a self proclaimed tech geek. I buy and sell tech gear constantly.
  • I used to build and sell (for fun) PCs
  • I have used every version of windows since 3.1
  • I have owned Windows laptops and tablets
  • I have owned and installed custom Android ROMS, from the Dell Streak thru each of the Galaxy Note series.
Again, constantly buying and selling.

Initially when outfitting my family with laptops, I tried Toshiba, Sony, and Dell... But constantly had "to fix problems" related to virus, bad software installs or updates, etc.

The last 3 years; it been 100% Apple into my household for personal computers. Here's why; they just work. And... They last.

My days of being the household IT guy is gone!

That said, I got my eye on what Windows is doing with the Surface. I think they might win the laptop/tablet hybrid race.
For me, it's IBM/Lenovo. They consistently are the best rated consumer machines. Unfortunately, most of the rating systems don't include Lenovo, which is how Apple gets to the top.

Bottom line, I guess I don't like company's that steal virtually all of their major innovations and then pass them off as their own to the public. Microsoft is no better. However, Jobs' arrogance always rubbed me the wrong way.

The following was 1968, yes, I did not mistype that, I said 1968...

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For me, it's IBM/Lenovo. They consistently are the best rated consumer machines. Unfortunately, most of the rating systems don't include Lenovo, which is how Apple gets to the top.

Bottom line, I guess I don't like company's that steal virtually all of their major innovations and then pass them off as their own to the public. Microsoft is no better. However, Jobs' arrogance always rubbed me the wrong way.

The following was 1968, yes, I did not mistype that, I said 1968...

Douglas Engelbart, a lot of us didn't know about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Engelbart

I agree on Lenovo. They'd be #1 in my book right now.

I'd say they are really pushing the hybrid space with devices like the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix (which I've been using at work) and to a lesser degree the Yoga line. But they are getting really creative and it's awesome!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Douglas Engelbart, a lot of us didn't know about him.
!
they started that project in 1962. this was way before Xerox Parc, where Jobs and Gates were handed all the tech for free.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
they started that project in 1962. this was way before Xerox Parc, where Jobs and Gates were handed all the tech for free.

Have you seen the movie "Jobs"? It was a good watch.

I'm not sure how historically accurate it was, but he certainly took a lot of risks and was insane in the pursuit of his vision for Apple.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Have you seen the movie "Jobs"? It was a good watch.

I'm not sure how historically accurate it was, but he certainly took a lot of risks and was insane in the pursuit of his vision for Apple.
Naw, I'm not very good at watching fictional accounts

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saved everything in the HD to a 16 gb Sandisk. Burned the ISO file to a DVR but the Dell pc doesn't acknowledge that it's even there. Dumbass! What's next, boot the Linux Mint from the Sandisk?