Making sense of Rams' running back situation/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Making sense of Rams' running back situation
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12887/making-sense-of-rams-running-back-situation

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Less than a week ago, St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer seemed to finally shed some light on what the Rams' "plan" for deploying their running backs really is.

Schottenheimer said the team would divvy up carries between running backs Zac Stacy, Benjamin Cunningham, Tre Mason and Trey Watts, with carries for receiver Tavon Austin sprinkled in. From there, the Rams would go with the hot hand late in the game.

It didn't make much sense at the time considering it's hard for any back to remain the "hot hand" if he doesn't get to keep carrying the ball. But it didn't matter a few days later when the Rams played the Seattle Seahawks.

In the span of a couple of hours, the Rams introduced Stacy as the starting running back, then Cunningham actually started the game before Mason ended up getting 18 carries, by far the most amongst the backs and the second most by a Ram this season. All of that while Stacy played one snap and got no carries.

Apparently, it didn't take long to decide that Mason had the hot hand.

“We’re going to play all three backs," coach Jeff Fisher said Sunday. "I have great respect for all three of them, and Trey Watts for that matter. They are very unselfish, they root each other on. Tre got a hot hand and it was just kind of a different thing. We felt that we may have a chance to crease their defense at times with him."

To Mason's credit, that feeling proved to be mostly true as he ran for 85 yards on his 18 carries and scored his first NFL touchdown. Combined with the small sample size he received in his first game the week before against San Francisco, Mason has clearly been the Rams' most explosive option in his limited opportunities.

In those two games, Mason has 23 carries for 125 yards, an average of 5.4 yards per carry. Were it not for his late fumble that the Rams apparently recovered (at least in the eyes of the officials), Mason's work in his first two appearances would make him the overwhelming favorite to continue as the predominate ball-carrier going forward.

But even with that miscue on his resume, the evidence certainly points in the direction of a changing of the guard at the position. Stacy has dealt with calf and ankle injuries in recent weeks, and when he's played hasn't looked like the productive back he was a year ago. He's averaging 3.93 yards per carry on 61 attempts and his longest rush went for 16 yards. Cunningham hasn't fared much better, averaging 3.78 yards per attempt on 36 carries, but he's at least scored a touchdown in three consecutive games.

Watts and Austin have flashed some potential, but neither is equipped to handle the role on a more permanent basis.

Which brings us to Mason. It was game 5 a year ago when Stacy took the reins at running back. Perhaps game 6 will become that same turning point this season for another change as the third-round draft choice stakes his claim to further responsibility.

"I was always told to take full advantage of the opportunities you get because there may not be many," Mason said. "That’s just kind of a message that I grew up on. There may not be many opportunities but when you get those few, make the most of them because it can change into a lot."

How much it has changed things remains to be seen. When asked about the division of carries again Monday, Fisher offered a similar refrain.

“It’ll be a week-to-week thing," Fisher said. "Zac could get 25 carries this week. We had some things in early this week. It was working so we decided to stay with ‘Mase.' It’s nothing that Zac has done or hasn’t done. He’s been a little banged up the last couple of weeks, but obviously he’s an outstanding runner as well. We clearly have significant depth there at the position.”

While the Rams might have multiple options, if the Rams insist on sticking with the hot hand at running back it's hard to believe that it will be anyone but Mason who gets his temperature taken first.

Alan

Legend
If there was any insight into why the change occurred I missed it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If there was any insight into why the change occurred I missed it.
I think it was that Mason had worked his way into the lineup and Zac wasn't completely healthy and didn't show a burst when he got the ball so they went with the guys who showed best .

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with a possibility:
I think it was that Mason had worked his way into the lineup and Zac wasn't completely healthy and didn't show a burst when he got the ball so they went with the guys who showed best.
Certainly a possibility but I remain unconvinced. It also doesn't explain the pattern.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Somewhere, Isaiah Pead continues to quietly sob to himself...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Somewhere, Isaiah Pead continues to quietly sob to himself...

Man, I bet he is kicking himself now for the opportunity he pissed away with his bad attitude. If Mason gets involved catching passes (and I think he will), he'll be everything we thought Pead was going to be for us.

Overall, I really like where our RB situation is now. We have the explosive guy in Mason, the bowling ball who can move the pile in Stacy, and a guy in Cunningham who is somewhere between those two.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
your'e so useless Wagoner. hot air that leaves you thinking 'wait, what did I learn?'. mason is a game changer he's gonna be good. but that offensive line has been bullshit. suddenly got MUCH better plugging in GRob last two games. so those yards per carry stats for each is irrelevant.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Were it not for his late fumble that the Rams apparently recovered (at least in the eyes of the officials)

Why? Why did wagoner have to state it this way? I'm finding it very difficult to read his articles anymore.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think Mason will be our starting running back until or if he falters.The man runs with a lot of authority and gets through the hole quick

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Mason will be our starting running back until or if he falters.The man runs with a lot of authority and gets through the hole quick

I am a fan of Stacy's compact running style and quick feet. He's a guy who generally gets positive yards and holds the ball tight. Surprising power for an average size back.

That said...

Mason has another gear and nice quickness. He has homerun potential. I like him a lot too.

Nice to have options and depth!

jjab360

Legend
Man, I bet he is kicking himself now for the opportunity he pissed away with his bad attitude. If Mason gets involved catching passes (and I think he will), he'll be everything we thought Pead was going to be for us.

Overall, I really like where our RB situation is now. We have the explosive guy in Mason, the bowling ball who can move the pile in Stacy, and a guy in Cunningham who is somewhere between those two.
I'd like to see one shred of evidence of this bad attitude that everyone always talks about when it comes to Pead. Have there been any off the field incidents or on field confrontations with teammates or coaches? It seems to me like people were wondering why he wasn't being given a shot and that was just the theory that seemed to stick in everybody's mind.

Me personally, I just think we overdrafted him and he never really earned any PT with his play on the field. It's also not like he didn't make the team because he got cut or anything we really don't know what he would have done this year because he got injured in preseason. For all we know, he might have broken out like Quick seems to be doing right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're not going to learn anything from what Fish says in regards to the depth charts. Bottom line is he will have his hand forced by Mason; the more snaps Mason gets, the better this offense is going to look.

It will be much like we saw with the QB situation, for that matter. Fish will make those depth chart adjustments when he needs to, but he's just too savvy to get all wrapped up in discussing it until it's so obvious that it's undeniable.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Why? Why did wagoner have to state it this way? I'm finding it very difficult to read his articles anymore.

he's not e
we don't really have a "starter" per say. but he'll definitely be getting a lot more carries. he's still a major liability in pass protection. Stacy is good. i know he came in for one play last game. and I swear it was him I saw jack up a blitzer in pass protection

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd like to see one shred of evidence of this bad attitude that everyone always talks about when it comes to Pead. Have there been any off the field incidents or on field confrontations with teammates or coaches? It seems to me like people were wondering why he wasn't being given a shot and that was just the theory that seemed to stick in everybody's mind.

That was just what I and others were hearing, and there was the suspension. Maybe there was nothing to it, but those rumors were out there.