Let's Talk About The OLine Against The Cards...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
These guys are fusing it together!!!!

Yesterday, ONE sack of Foles...made big holes for Gurley...and how about the kid Havenstein recovering that fumble over all those Cards players??? He's the standout in my book:
i

The Cards *probably* have the only defense in the West that rivals the Rams...and this young OLine handled it well.

Havenstein is really getting it done on the right side! They guy can only get better! He got downfield quite a few times yesterday. Here's a look back at his Draft Analysis:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/rob-havenstein?id=2552363

Barnes has been very steady! He got beat bad once that I saw...but he's handling the center spot nicely.

I'm going to get on GamePass and take a look at these guys yesterday using the Coaches Film version, to take another look at the game from their perspective.

I think they did great yesterday! Comments?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love our team, but the Seahawks defense is still the best in this division.

Psycho_X

Legend
It's a cliché to say probably but they really should get better every single week this season. It's going to be fun watching them gel along with Gurley getting stronger and more confident behind them. And the more success Gurley has the more the passing game will open up and the more we pass the ball well the more the defense will have to honor both the pass and run the easier the o-lines job will be. Can't stress enough how much easier it is to go up against a defense who respects both aspects of your offense. If we keep the momentum up from yesterday's second half this offense will start putting points on the board.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, it's for sure that they look a lot better zone blocking this week. I still cringe when I see backside pursuit on some of these plays but it did seem like they did a better job of cut-blocking on the back end.

Misdirection with Tavon really helped the oline out on a few plays by freezing the LBs.

Pass protection looked pretty good but ARI doesn't have many pass rushers so I don't know that we got that tested there.

All I'd like to see is a similar bit of play next week and not a regression. You better believe that the Packers will be ready for the misdirection to Austin so we will see how the oline does with a little less help.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm just confused right now. they're so bipolar idk what to make of it. they pass block better than they run block. the first half was awful GRob and Brown look like fools on one stunt that left them looking helpless. but then in the second all of a sudden the zone blocking starts to work and they start running ppl over. what did make a difference was having a lead blocker in the backfield wether it was Harkey of a TE. just gotta do it consistently.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I beg to differ...the Rams are equal to or better...but to each his own. The Seahawks HAD the better secondary but I think the Rams have caught them..and when it comes to the front four, the Hags are no slouches but they're behind the Rams there. It's not always about stats either...it's about the eyeball test.

Granted...the Rams D had the "hiccup" against the Redskins but...I ain't being a homer or biased either. The way I see it we saw "head to head week" one...SIX SACKS on a QB that's one of the best escaping under pressure!!!

I can't agree with you

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Just got through a 3rd watch. Brown is the weak link right now. He has talent, and plays with passion, but Idk if it's the best idea to continue throwing him out there. Almost every tackle for a loss was on his shoulders. He made some good blocks here and there, like I said, there's talent. I just think there is probably someone better on the roster as of this moment.

As long as he continues to show the passion, he'll be coachable. They can easily fix these things over time, and him adding to his frame wont hurt either. He'll probably learn faster playing on Sundays, which I'm sure the coaching staff thinks too, but I don't think it's wise right now. This team can win. No weak links if you can fix them. We're not building anymore.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not surprised, a cohesive O-line is more effective than one with elite talent but no gel together.

Just got through a 3rd watch. Brown is the weak link right now. He has talent, and plays with passion, but Idk if it's the best idea to continue throwing him out there. Almost every tackle for a loss was on his shoulders. He made some good blocks here and there, like I said, there's talent. I just think there is probably someone better on the roster as of this moment.

As long as he continues to show the passion, he'll be coachable. They can easily fix these things over time, and him adding to his frame wont hurt either. He'll probably learn faster playing on Sundays, which I'm sure the coaching staff thinks too, but I don't think it's wise right now. This team can win. No weak links if you can fix them. We're not building anymore.

He should be fine, his flashes in the preseason show that he'll be an excellent guard for us once he's polished. He's better than what we had the past few years and will keep on getting better along with the rest of our young'uns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Brown played well in some games.

I disagree that he should be replaced. The Rams have to get him snaps, for him to get better.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm just confused right now. they're so bipolar idk what to make of it. they pass block better than they run block. the first half was awful GRob and Brown look like fools on one stunt that left them looking helpless. but then in the second all of a sudden the zone blocking starts to work and they start running ppl over. what did make a difference was having a lead blocker in the backfield wether it was Harkey of a TE. just gotta do it consistently.

It was the first drive of the 2nd half, but yeah, that was bad. You can see Robinson pointing out his man to Brown before the play, then the safety comes up to show blitz, so he points at him. Once the db curls out into the flat Robinson is completely lost, and let's a man in free. That's bad. 100% on Robinsons shoulders, as Brown picked up his man, but they need to get their shit together over there. If he did blitz, so did the linebacker, so they would've had to let the db go free. Foles then hits the rb in the flat. If the linebacker doesn't blitz, then it was Browns man, and GRob was right. Regardless, this needs to stop. Zone pass blocking isn't that hard to figure out. They can't be pointing men out at the last minute on the los all day. Teams will throw the kitchen sink at these 2 going forward.

Props to Foles for hanging in there and throwing a strike to Bailey though.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I don't like the zone blocking at all. There seems to be too many holes that defenders shoot through or the back side guy makes a tackle for a loss. I'd rather them man up and block, pull, trap, etc.... or they need to cut block more.. like the skins did us

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Brown and Havenstein had to face 6'8" 300 Lbs All Pro DE (2nd team 2014 All NFL Profootball focus) Calais Campbell. Campbell has 44 career sacks. He got half a sack Sunday. I think Brown will be fine.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Brown played well in some games.

I disagree that he should be replaced. The Rams have to get him snaps, for him to get better.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. We need to fix the line desperately, and this kid is just not ready to play right now. I refuse to believe everything is fine and dandy after 10 abysmal quarters of football up front, then 2 good ones. We have other people that can play guard. Sure, he'll develop slower on the bench on Sundays. If that's the difference between getting a yard or even 2 on 1st down instead of losing 4 CONSISTENTLY, then I'll live with it.

Not surprised, a cohesive O-line is more effective than one with elite talent but no gel together.

He should be fine, his flashes in the preseason show that he'll be an excellent guard for us once he's polished. He's better than what we had the past few years and will keep on getting better along with the rest of our young'uns.

Yeah, flashes. He has talent, I agree. He's just not ready for the NFL yet. There's nothing wrong with that. He's a 3rd rounder that was projected lower on some boards even. Not saying he's bad, he's just not ready yet.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I do like that we're running the shit outta the screen game this year though. The big men can move on this unit. Get them downfield. Need positive plays before you can run these though, and won't work against every defense.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Brown and Havenstein had to face 6'8" 300 Lbs All Pro DE (2nd team 2014 All NFL Profootball focus) Calais Campbell. Campbell has 44 career sacks. He got half a sack Sunday. I think Brown will be fine.

There's a lot of good players in the NFL, and yes Campbell is one of them. Gurley had him sucking for air at the end of the game. One of the reasons our interior had better success against him at that time.

DenverRam

Starter
they looked okay....

Foles was getting hit every other play still. He stood in there and fired away.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Um....WHAT?!

Come on man, Seahawks D couldn't stop our offense in their first game with a new QB, OC, scheme, and without Mason, Gurley, or Quick!

Rams aren't just the best defense in the NFCW, they are probably the best in the NFL!

Seattle has SIX sacks to our SEVENTEEN.

Imagine if the Rams had already played the Bears and Lions and not 3 top offenses?!

I respectfully request you reconsider your position. :pillowfight:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The o line is just good enough and getting better. You hear Fisher describing RH today? To summarize, he's a beast with a bad attitude in a good way.

He also talked about Barnes and said he is doing an excellent job coordinating the line. That's 75% of what you need from a center. Then snap the ball well and block your man. I give Barnes a good grade right now.

It's coming. Gurley, Foles, and TA are also helping that line a LOT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Listening to the JF show reminded me... Re: Big Rob gettin that fumble at the bottom of the pile, I guess all those knocks on his strength before the draft were a little overdone eh?

Dude doesn't need workout strength. He's got ogre power!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I do like that we're running the crap outta the screen game this year though. The big men can move on this unit. Get them downfield. Need positive plays before you can run these though, and won't work against every defense.

They can move. I would prefer they go back to power blocking because they have multiple players that can pull, unlike recent years when Saffold was the only one that could do it effectively.