Let’s get crazy! A trade offer for Manziel perhaps?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I realize I am going to be tarred and feathered for even suggesting such nonsense. Further, I concede that it is unlikely the Browns would jump at the trade offer I am about to suggest. However, I don’t care, as I am desperate to have some hope with a team that has so many other pieces in place and whether it’s Manziel, Bridgewater, or some other QB the thought of trading for help is attractive to me right now. Anyway, here we go…

Offer our first round pick next year to the Browns for Manziel.

Now, my immediate thought is that they would say no. But then again, I am not so sure that is the case. The Rams’ projected pick right now is going to be very, very high. The Browns, meanwhile, are very happy with Hoyer, and have struggled at times handling some of the very minor stories that have cropped up with Johnny Manziel. The thought of having two first round picks next year plus getting rid of the distraction of Johnny Football may be very tempting to them, particularly a high pick that they probably expect the Rams to have. Anyway, for the sake of discussion let’s assume they consider it.

My rationale for making this suggestion is as follows:

- Fisher is going to find a way to get enough wins to remove the Rams from the top 3 pick range. This team will not pick in the top ten, despite not having a QB. They would still have the rest of their picks to utilize with what is already a young and talented team. And it’s not like all these first round picks are translating into wins anyway.

- Fish is extremely good at handling the fringe type players who have a bit of a wild streak. He would be a great head coach for JM and would help him grow up as he learns the game.

- The Rams had at least one scout reportedly selling JM, so my assumption is they have a healthy respect for his skill set. Plus, Fish has also made positive comments about him prior to their preseason matchup.

- The offense has two large receivers who can highpoint and catch contested balls in Britt and Quick, and JM is very, very good at putting the ball up to his receivers and trusting them to make the play. That anticipation is one of his best assets.

- Manziel is also extremely accurate in his ball placement, along with a career high-60’s percentile completion percentage rate which is something that Fisher values greatly, given his continued comments with Bradford’s accuracy.

- The OL would be helped greatly by adding a mobile QB behind them. JM would give the Rams’ offense an unpredictable element that would extend drives and he would have no problem going off-script when a WR tells him a CB is playing him tight and disregarding the go route, or whatever, and making a “huddle adjustment” on Schotty.

- JM has very good quickness of decision making. He just operates mentally a tick faster than everyone else, which is the primary reason why I believe he is going to succeed in the NFL as a QB.

- He is cocky, and has the kind of swagger and confidence I would love to see permeate this craptastic offense of ours. Our offense lacks heart in my estimation. JM could go a long ways towards fixing that as he comes into his own at this level.

- His cap number is extremely favorable, and the Rams could move forward with a QB who brings many of the same elements you see with division leaders and SB champion Seattle, having him under contract and not needing to panic next year and overpay for a vet or overpay in picks to move up in the draft for a QB.

Lastly, I know many have a strong dislike for JM. I know he would take some time to be able to run the full offense. But the guy isn’t stupid, and at this point I’d take him reading half the field, or him running more simplistic plays off of play action and improvising when necessary, over what we have going on at QB.
Whether it’s JM or another QB who is currently on another team’s roster, a trade is something I hope Snead is considering, or even actively working.

jjab360

Legend
Facepalm-GIFS-1.gif

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Normally, I would find a clever way to say no, but here I'm just gunna to go with, no.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
When this become Rams Talk? :barefoot:

From now on use the term "the forum that shouldn't be mentioned" and then don't mention it. ;)

@Merlin Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your post but no thanks. It smells of panic after a disheartening loss. No way we give up a first round pick for an unproven QB who might turn out to be an embarrassment to the organization. (n)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I appreciate the time and effort you put into your proposal, but I have a counter offer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Trade our first next year for Johnny Manziel???

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

Triple-facepalm.jpg

jesus_facepalm.jpg

And our special guest star...Godzilla!!!

Facepalm-Godzilla.jpg

All in fun :LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Going to get tar now. Any volunteers for feathers?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
2 things.
Browns would take a 3rd for him at this point and pay his airfare.
We have Davis, same player at a cheaper price.

I do admire your dedication as a Ram fan.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'd rather see them take up soccer or move to LA!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leaving aside questions of whether Manziel could succeed long term in the NFL anyway (I doubt it, but I've been wrong before) it was obvious during preseason that Manziel is not ready now to help his team win - and would have to start over in learning the playbook. So a quite possibly very high pick for somebody who won't help this year. Keep in mind that there will be several QBs in the draft who look promising and are running pro sets. Which QB with non-traditional skills has succeeded long term? Even if a QB runs - he needs to do it within a pro set to succeed long term.

BTW - thank you Dallas for taking Martin. I would have hated to have given up that 2015 first with SB going down like he did. And that despite the fact I like Martin and think he'll be a very good player for years to come.

RamWoodie

Legend
I've got a better idea...you can have Johnny "Fathead." I would never want that guy in a Rams uni. I'd rather have Davis at QB.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
If you think all we need is QB help, share some of your drugs with me please. We are pitiful at this point. Let's see what next week brings but I'm not optimistic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're going that direction, might as well reach out to Washington and see if we can snag RGIII for a first round pick. :LOL:
(BTW I'm serious)

- Manziel is also extremely accurate in his ball placement, along with a career high-60’s percentile completion percentage rate which is something that Fisher values greatly, given his continued comments with Bradford’s accuracy.

- JM has very good quickness of decision making. He just operates mentally a tick faster than everyone else, which is the primary reason why I believe he is going to succeed in the NFL as a QB.

Lastly, I know many have a strong dislike for JM. I know he would take some time to be able to run the full offense. But the guy isn’t stupid, and at this point I’d take him reading half the field, or him running more simplistic plays off of play action and improvising when necessary, over what we have going on at QB.
Whether it’s JM or another QB who is currently on another team’s roster, a trade is something I hope Snead is considering, or even actively working.

I must disagree with all three points.
1. Manziel has been anything but accurate thus far in the NFL and isn't an extremely accurate QB. His poor mechanics lead to his scattershot accuracy on short and intermediate throws.

2. Disagree again. Manziel is heavily reliant on his legs to buy time because he isn't a quick decision maker. In college, he often looked to his primary WR and maybe his secondary option and then tried to scramble. He rarely ever found his check-down target or third progression. That doesn't work in the NFL. Kaepernick is one of the few guys that gets away with it because of the talent he plays with and because he's a far superior physical talent to Manziel.

Finally, in making this trade, you have to consider the opportunity cost. We're not just acquiring Manziel, we're giving up a first round pick that could possibly be our QB of the future. So if Manziel doesn't pan out, you just set yourself back at least another 2-3 years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well clearly I am a big fan of Manziel, and think he is going to be a very good pro. But it doesn't have to be Manziel in terms of trade options, and it doesn't have to be a first round pick. I threw that out there for discussion because of my high opinion of him, but the point is if we are going to have another rough season why not install a QB with some talent and use the time for development this season?

Rams would have to pay a little more now vice later, but there are prospects they scouted in this draft on NFL rosters as depth guys who they can probably shake loose in trade. I assume that Snead is investigating those types of options, depending on what they think of Keenum which we don't know at this point.

You guys are right that the Rams should avoid a panic move, which that would be, I concede. But again if we're going to lose games this season why not do it with a QB who might be our QB of the future, where the staff can watch his progression, and pay it forward so to speak with the losses.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So I realize I am going to be tarred and feathered for even suggesting such nonsense. Further, I concede that it is unlikely the Browns would jump at the trade offer I am about to suggest. However, I don’t care, as I am desperate to have some hope with a team that has so many other pieces in place and whether it’s Manziel, Bridgewater, or some other QB the thought of trading for help is attractive to me right now. Anyway, here we go…

Offer our first round pick next year to the Browns for Manziel.

Now, my immediate thought is that they would say no. But then again, I am not so sure that is the case. The Rams’ projected pick right now is going to be very, very high. The Browns, meanwhile, are very happy with Hoyer, and have struggled at times handling some of the very minor stories that have cropped up with Johnny Manziel. The thought of having two first round picks next year plus getting rid of the distraction of Johnny Football may be very tempting to them, particularly a high pick that they probably expect the Rams to have. Anyway, for the sake of discussion let’s assume they consider it.

My rationale for making this suggestion is as follows:

- Fisher is going to find a way to get enough wins to remove the Rams from the top 3 pick range. This team will not pick in the top ten, despite not having a QB. They would still have the rest of their picks to utilize with what is already a young and talented team. And it’s not like all these first round picks are translating into wins anyway.

- Fish is extremely good at handling the fringe type players who have a bit of a wild streak. He would be a great head coach for JM and would help him grow up as he learns the game.

- The Rams had at least one scout reportedly selling JM, so my assumption is they have a healthy respect for his skill set. Plus, Fish has also made positive comments about him prior to their preseason matchup.

- The offense has two large receivers who can highpoint and catch contested balls in Britt and Quick, and JM is very, very good at putting the ball up to his receivers and trusting them to make the play. That anticipation is one of his best assets.

- The OL would be helped greatly by adding a mobile QB behind them. JM would give the Rams’ offense an unpredictable element that would extend drives and he would have no problem going off-script when a WR tells him a CB is playing him tight and disregarding the go route, or whatever, and making a “huddle adjustment” on Schotty.

- He is cocky, and has the kind of swagger and confidence I would love to see permeate this craptastic offense of ours. Our offense lacks heart in my estimation. JM could go a long ways towards fixing that as he comes into his own at this level.

- His cap number is extremely favorable, and the Rams could move forward with a QB who brings many of the same elements you see with division leaders and SB champion Seattle, having him under contract and not needing to panic next year and overpay for a vet or overpay in picks to move up in the draft for a QB.

No tar and feather but I disagree with your evaluation of JM