Les Snead Talks Manning, Offensive Philosophy and More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead clarifies rumors involving Peyton Manning, their offensive philosophy and the importance of millennials. Snead explains the realignment of the coaching staff, its team’s leadership and what Aaron Donald and Tavon Austin bring to the table. Steve Mason and John Ireland have the interview for ESPN710 radio.

Listen to Snead Interview

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Les Snead talks with Fred Roggin: Fred and Les talked about moves the Rams might make this offseason and the expectation LA football fans will have for their new team.

Listen to Snead Interview

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Snead really loves this A B defense analogy and I don't know how I feel about it yet.

On one hand that philosophy was validated by the Broncos elite defense carrying noodle arm Peyton Manning

On the other hand that has been the predominant philosophy under Snisher regime to no avail. This year when healthy you could argue Rams have just as much defensive talent as the Broncos. The Broncos were healthier this year, played in a weaker conference, and Manning played worse than Foles at times, but they still won 5 more games than we did clinching home field.

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
Snead really loves this A B defense analogy and I don't know how I feel about it yet.

On one hand that philosophy was validated by the Broncos elite defense carrying noodle arm Peyton Manning

On the other hand that has been the predominant philosophy under Snisher regime to no avail. This year when healthy you could argue Rams have just as much defensive talent as the Broncos. The Broncos were healthier this year, played in a weaker conference, and Manning played worse than Foles at times, but they still won 5 more games than we did clinching home field.

Manning lead late 4th quarter game winning or game clinching drives in 6 of the 9 games he played in the regular season. It was offensive futility that allowed them to be in that position in the first place but when the game was on the line Manning was given the reigns to do his thing calling audibles at the LOS and had success. If he could do that all the time like the old days he could still be effective.

TayAwsome

UDFA
What do you mean by A B defense. I didn't want to wake my wife by playing the audio.

He basically said if your defense plays at an A or B level any QB can win. In this era when a defense plays at a D or F level Rodgers, Manning, and Brady are the only winning QBs. Lastly when a defense plays at C level the most successful QB is Alex Smith because he takes care of the ball and moves the chains.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't necessarily agree whole heartedly with les here.
Play good offense and keeping your D off the field is a very effective way to keep the opponent from scoring.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
His theory only works if he can keep all their best players , which is why I'm keeping a pretty close eye on both Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He basically said if your defense plays at an A or B level any QB can win. In this era when a defense plays at a D or F level Rodgers, Manning, and Brady are the only winning QBs. Lastly when a defense plays at C level the most successful QB is Alex Smith because he takes care of the ball and moves the chains.

Thanks, I did get a chance to listen to it. I wonder how he concludes the grades.

The talk about why they wanted Keenum and how important they felt it was to reacquire him, and then making excuses for the other QBs, sure makes it sound like we should expect the status quo for next season. He says Case earned another shot, and Foles came from a spread and had a big adjustment with the change in offense. Then they drafted a guy with the plan for him to sit and Learn. That sure is the sound of a guy who is talking himself out of a first round QB. I hope Snead is just smoke screening but I have the eerie feeling after listening to this that he isn't. Maybe after seasons end evaluations they think that Keenum was pretty good. He is probably thinking DE and MLB and this Defense is as elite as Denver's, maybe more so. They won it all with Manning's crappy play, so why can't the Rams with Keenum.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Thanks, I did get a chance to listen to it. I wonder how he concludes the grades.

The talk about why they wanted Keenum and how important they felt it was to reacquire him, and then making excuses for the other QBs, sure makes it sound like we should expect the status quo for next season. He says Case earned another shot, and Foles came from a spread and had a big adjustment with the change in offense. Then they drafted a guy with the plan for him to sit and Learn. That sure is the sound of a guy who is talking himself out of a first round QB. I hope Snead is just smoke screening but I have the eerie feeling after listening to this that he isn't. Maybe after seasons end evaluations they think that Keenum was pretty good. He is probably thinking DE and MLB and this Defense is as elite as Denver's, maybe more so. They won it all with Manning's crappy play, so why can't the Rams with Keenum.
To be honest I would be surprised if the Rams go QB in the first round. I don't see them moving up enough to grab one of the top couple of guys and I don't think they will like any of the others to reach for one at 15. Id rather they didn't reach. I sort of expect them to trade down if possible.

WvuIN02

Starter
Les is just trying to keep people on board. The history of stats behind SB winning team invalidates this, as the offensive and defensive rankings of SB winning teams average out to about the same. For every Broncos defense you have the GSOT, or the Saints high powered offense, the 49ers who dropped 55 on Elways Broncos of the time, and so forth. Since 2000 we have seen maybe a few defenses truly epic, 2000 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 08 Steelers, maybe this years Broncos could be argued as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Les is just trying to keep people on board. The history of stats behind SB winning team invalidates this, as the offensive and defensive rankings of SB winning teams average out to about the same. For every Broncos defense you have the GSOT, or the Saints high powered offense, the 49ers who dropped 55 on Elways Broncos of the time, and so forth. Since 2000 we have seen maybe a few defenses truly epic, 2000 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 08 Steelers, maybe this years Broncos could be argued as well.
Ranked by points/game

Super Bowl 1. Green Bay O/4th D/1st
vs KC Chiefs O/1st D/2nd

Super Bowl 2. Green Bay O/9th D/3rd
vs Oakland O/1st D/2nd

Super Bowl 3. NY Jets O/2nd D/4th
vs Baltimore O/2nd D/1st

Super Bowl 4. KC Chiefs O/2nd D/1st
vs Minnesota O/1st D/1st

Super Bowl 5. Baltimore O/6th D/7th
vs Dallas O/10th D/4th

Super Bowl 6. Dallas O/1st D/7th
vs Miami O/4th D/3rd

Super Bowl 7. Miami O/1st D/1st
vs Washington O/7th D/3rd

Super Bowl 8. Miami O/5th D/1st
vs Minnesota O/9th D/2nd

Super Bowl 9. Pittsburgh O/6th D/2nd
vs Minnesota O/5th D/3rd

Super Bowl 10. Pittsburgh O/5th D/2nd
vs Dallas O/8th D/9th

Super Bowl 11. Oakland O/4th D/12th
vs Minnesota O/9th D/2nd

Super Bowl 12. Dallas O/2nd D/8th
vs Denver O/10th D/3rd

Super Bowl 13. Pittsburgh O/5th D/1st
vs Dallas O/1st D/3rd

Super Bowl 14. Pittsburgh O/1st D/5th
vs LA Rams O/15th D/11th

Super Bowl 15. Oakland O/7th D/10th
vs Philadelphia O/6th D/1st

Super Bowl 16. San Francisco O/7th D/2nd
vs Cincinnati O/3rd D/12th

Super Bowl 17. Washington O/12th D/1st
vs Miami O/10th D/2nd

Super Bowl 18. LA Raiders O/3rd D/13th
vs Washington O/1st D/11th

Super Bowl 19. San Francisco O/2nd D/1st
vs Miami O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 20. Chicago O/2nd D/1st
vs New England O/10th D/6th

Super Bowl 21. NY Giants O/8th D/2nd
vs Denver O/6th D/15th

Super Bowl 22. Washington O/4th D/6th
vs Denver O/4th D/7th

Super Bowl 23. San Francisco O/7th D/8th
vs Cincinnati O/1st D/16th

Super Bowl 24. San Francisco O/1st D/3rd
vs Denver O/8th D/1st

Super Bowl 25. NY Giants O/15th D/1st
vs Buffalo O/1st D/6th

Super Bowl 26. Washington O/1st D/2nd
vs Buffalo O/2nd D/19th

Super Bowl 27. Dallas O/2nd D/5th
vs Buffalo O/3rd D/14th

Super Bowl 28. Dallas O/2nd D/2nd
vs Buffalo O/7th D/5th

Super Bowl 29. San Francisco O/1st D/6th
vs S.D. Chargers O/5th D/9th

Super Bowl 30. Dallas O/3rd D/3rd
vs Pittsburgh O/5th D/9th

Super Bowl 31. Green Bay O/1st D/1st
vs New England O/2nd D/14th

Super Bowl 32. Denver O/1st D/6th
vs Green Bay O/2nd D/5th

Super Bowl 33. Denver O/2nd D/8th
vs Atlanta O/4th D/4th

Super Bowl 34. St Louis O/1st D/4th
vs Tennessee O/7th D/15th

Super Bowl 35. Baltimore O/14th D/1st
vs NY Giants O/15th D/5th

Super Bowl 36. New England O/6th D/6th fuck you Belichek fuck you politics fuck you NFL
vs St Louis O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 37. Tampa Bay O/18th D/1st
vs Oakland O/2nd D/6th

Super Bowl 38. New England O/12th D/1st
vs Carolina O/15th D/10th

Super Bowl 39. New England O/4th D/2nd
vs Philadelphia O/8th D/2nd

Super Bowl 40. Pittsburgh O/9th D/3rd
vs Seattle O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 41. Indianapolis O/2nd D/23rd
vs Chicago O/2nd D/3rd

Super Bowl 42. NY Giants O/14th D/17th
vs New England O/1st D/4th HA HA 18-1 FUCK YOU

Super Bowl 43: Pittsburgh O/20th D/1st
vs Arizona 49O/3rd D/28th

Super Bowl 44: New Orleans O/1st D/20th
vs Indianapolis O/7th D/8th

Super Bowl 45: Green Bay O/10th D/2nd
vs Pittsburgh O/12th D/1st

Super Bowl 46: NY Giants O/9th D/25th
vs New England O/3rd D/15th

Super Bowl 47: Baltimore O/10th D/12th
vs San Francisco O/11th D/2nd

Super Bowl 48: Seattle O/8th D/1st
vs Denver O/1st D/22nd

Super Bowl 49: New England O/4th D/8th
vs Seattle O/10th D/1st

Super Bowl 50: Denver O/19th D/4th
vs Carolina O/1st D/6th

WvuIN02

Starter
Yep that shows my point, most of the good teams are balanced, not heavy one way or the other.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
These rankings can be interpreted in a number of ways/angles.

Lets focus on the last 11 years for example. It's considered to be a more offensive-oriented passing league now right? I would agree in terms of a 16 game regular season.

Last 11 Super Bowl winners:
Top 5 offenses = 3
Top 5 defenses = 5

Top 10 offenses = 7
Top 10 defenses = 6

Top 15 offenses = 9
Top 15 defenses = 7
---------------------------------
Last 11 Super Bowl losers:
Top 5 offenses = 7
Top 5 defenses = 5

Top 10 offenses = 9
Top 10 defenses = 8

Top 15 offenses = 11
Top 15 defenses = 9

One could say that when considering an "elite" top 5 offense vs defense...defense wins out. These basic numbers could all be very easily manipulated though depending on what one believes. I happen to believe very strongly that in the end defense still wins championships. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey...whatever. Front seven, frontcourt, goalie/defenseman, pitching/infield....whatever.

It seems to me that if a particular playoff team has deficiencies somewhere on offense, it's being able to get stops and create turnovers that will keep you in a game and give you a chance to win even on a bad day. I don't think that's necessarily true in the reverse. Relying on your offense to get the last possession in a shootout type game because you can't stop anyone on D is a dicey thing. There is a lot of pressure there.
JMO

WvuIN02

Starter
Yea you can parse numbers a bunch of different ways. You also see where teams who are generally the overall better team, win. Sometimes the team with the better O and D wins, and then you have to include both. Averaged out though, they're pretty similar.

Im not saying offense wins championships, Im saying good teams do. And some of those the Super Bowl plays out differently than the rankings would indicate. Pittsburghs 2008 defense was statistically 1st across the board, but they collapsed in epic fashion vs Warner and the Cardinals in the Super Bowl. Pittsburghs offense in fact had to win them that game because the defense choked away a huge second half lead.