Len Pasquarelli: Recipe for a trade-up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://pickthedraft.com/?q=node/360

Perhaps even more than an offensive tackle, the team’s presumed area of focus for the 2014 draft, the Atlanta Falcons need a pass rusher. And the Falcons, who have not drafted and developed an outside rusher since choosing Patrick Kerney in 1999, are said to be enamored of South Carolina end Jadeveon Clowney.

Almost as if on cue (or maybe sending a not-so-subtle signal), the man regarded by many as the top prospect in the draft acknowledged a couple days ago that he would “love” to be selected by Atlanta, since it would allow him to stay close to home. The only problem is, the Falcons are currently sixth in the first-round order and Clowney will be long off the board by the time their pick comes.

Maybe.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff has never been bashful about moving on draft day, up or down. And while he isn’t likely to make the kind of monster deal he did to swoop dramatically up the board for wide receiver Julio Jones in ‘11, Dimitroff could be duly tempted by a shot at Clowney to seek a trade partner, provided that Houston does not snatch the star defensive end with the first overall selection.

Dimitroff could find some convenient potential trade partners in the No. 2 and No. 3 slots in the first round.

The second spot, of course, is held by St. Louis, by virtue of the 2012 trade in which the Rams shipped Washington the rights to quarterback Robert Griffin III. And the No. 2 choice – or, more accurately, trading it – would allow the Rams a final chance to further fatten the bounty they received from the Redskins in the 2012 deal. And it’s notable that the Rams’ general manager is Les Snead, who worked for Dimitroff for four years, first as a pro scout and then as personnel director.

Amazingly, Snead’s successor as director of player personnel in Atlanta was David Caldwell. And Caldwell (pictured) is now the general manager in Jacksonville, where the Jags hold the No. 3 overall choice for May 8. Would the Jaguars, whose owner already has advertised the team will choose at least one quarterback in the draft, consider a move back to the sixth spot? It might depend on how the first couple picks go, and what quarterbacks might be chosen early. But there are certainly scenarios in which one of the top quarterbacks would still be available at No. 6.

Not too much should be read into comments made three months before the draft. But Caldwell did tell the Florida Times-Union earlier this week that he would “not discourage” the potential for a trade of the Jaguars’ No. 3 slot and that such a deal was “a possibility.”

Sometimes, as the old adage suggests, familiarity breeds contempt. Other times, it could help hatch a trade. The bet here is that Dimitroff has the cell phone numbers of Snead and Caldwell on speed-dial. And that he’ll check in at some point to gauge the cost of possibly moving up into one of their spots.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty interesting. The top four spots are very volatile for trade scenarios. It will be interesting to watch.

Yet another reason I don't get too into who we will draft in May.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We traded back with Atlanta last year and took Ogletree, maybe they will return the favor and trade up with us this year. Sounds like a plan!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I was reading an article awhile back about ATL trading us for clowney. I wonder what we could get out of them for it, what do you guys think they would give up?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd take a small pittance to move down 4 spots. Something like a 2nd next year and a 2nd this year?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't think ATL is the best trading partner for this scenario. They're not gonna mortgage the farm for Clowney. They're price range isn't in our ball bark. Besides, I don't have a problem with taking Clowney. Him lining up over a OG could tilt our division in our favor. We could still trade back our #13 pick, get WR Lee, and build our OL with high picks in the second round. We don't need ATL...

I like Cleveland the best. You know they'll have another nice pick next year. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was reading an article awhile back about ATL trading us for clowney. I wonder what we could get out of them for it, what do you guys think they would give up?

The make up would have to be close to this...The falcons get 1.2 pick Rams get 1.6, 2.38 & 4.102 in the 2014 draft plus a 2nd round pick in 2015.

That would make our draft look like this in the first five rounds:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
The make up would have to be close to this...The falcons get 1.2 pick Rams get 1.6, 2.38 & 4.102 in the 2014 draft plus a 2nd round pick in 2015.

That would make our draft look like this in the first five rounds:

Not to bad in a worst case scenario, you're pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff, what do you think our best realistic trade scenario is if they do trade out of 2? I haven't really looked to deep into the possibilities yet.

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
I think Clev. is still the best to partner with in the 1st rd. I would ask Clev for the #4 and 2nd rd pick this year and #1 next. Then have a deal in place with Atl for Clowney(*if there*) for the 1.6, 2nd rd & 4th rd for our 5th this year Plus next year 2nd rd. Of course Jax will be the wildcard in this. If we miss out on the Atl trade Rams still have the #4 pick. If it worked out the Rams would have 1.6,1.13,2.3,2.5,2.12,3.11,4.3 & 4.10. While adding Clev 1st next year and Atl. 2nd rd. Rams trade 2 times and still end up with the 6th pick and many extras.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
^ I'm dizzy.
CLE,ATL and MINN. If we make any deals at the top i think it directly involves one of these three teams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think Clev. is still the best to partner with in the 1st rd. I would ask Clev for the #4 and 2nd rd pick this year and #1 next. Then have a deal in place with Atl for Clowney(*if there*) for the 1.6, 2nd rd & 4th rd for our 5th this year Plus next year 2nd rd. Of course Jax will be the wildcard in this. If we miss out on the Atl trade Rams still have the #4 pick. If it worked out the Rams would have 1.6,1.13,2.3,2.5,2.12,3.11,4.3 & 4.10. While adding Clev 1st next year and Atl. 2nd rd. Rams trade 2 times and still end up with the 6th pick and many extras.
Yes! Sign me up for exactly this scenario.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The Trade Value Chart values 1.2 at 2,600 points.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

If Cleveland want to trade up, they will have to offer 1.4 (1,800 points) and 1.26 (700) and they'd still be 100 points short. Next year's second rounder, perhaps, factoring in a little bit of interest for us?

Atlanta would have to offer 1.6 (1,600), 2.5 (530) and next year's first for us to be interested.

Anybody else would have to offer pretty much their whole draft plus future first-rounders and I can't see anybody doing that. So it looks between Cleveland and Atlanta for me. The Falcons are closer to being that "one player away" from being a top team and I can see them offering the above for Clowney.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

If Cleveland want to trade up, they will have to offer 1.4 (1,800 points) and 1.26 (700) and they'd still be 100 points short. Next year's second rounder, perhaps, factoring in a little bit of interest for us?

Atlanta would have to offer 1.6 (1,600), 2.5 (530) and next year's first for us to be interested.

Anybody else would have to offer pretty much their whole draft plus future first-rounders and I can't see anybody doing that. So it looks between Cleveland and Atlanta for me. The Falcons are closer to being that "one player away" from being a top team and I can see them offering the above for Clowney.
Remember, though, the draft charts are general guidelines, and not an absolute indicator of what will happen. Value could go up (when you have a bidding war, which is why we even have that pick now) or down (if a team would really rather get out of the spot than take someone, which the Rams do to some extent I think.)

Depends on what value you use as your future discount value (the Washington trade works out at a 69% year on year discount), if you set it at 0% discount then Minnesota's first this year and first next would be fine value.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Known draft selections vs UNknown future draft selections...Snead when trading with known draft selections, where known value is set ..are close or just slightly less than the standard Trade Value Chart.

In Snead's short history when he has traded for future selections he has not been sheepish in getting value for his risks.... Snead gets dramatically heavy in demanding value for the risk. Basically in Snead world there is a sizable interest payment demanded when an NFL team lends you, trades you, their current in hand ready to use draft choices. Ask the Washington Redskins.

This time last year Snead was looking rather green in the face when the Rams owned 2013 Washington Redskins First Round selection was a 1.22. (780 DVP's) Not much value in that selection in return for the Skins use of the Rams 1.2 in 2012. I bet he was kicking his own Xss for not demanding more from the Skins. Snead after that self beating had a serious bit of good luck come a yr later and we are in a very good positions to strengthen this Ram team now or wait & gamble to do it in the future draft.

In two NFL drafts as GM Snead has traded five times (3 trade downs & 2 trade ups) with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, Atlanta & Houston. All with mixed results. The best of course was his first and the worse one was with Dallas. We have seen that Snead & Fisher really aim mark & target few prospects & then move to maximize to pull out all the DVP's to use without leaving anything on the table.

I sure was shocked to see the Skins 2011 team take the Rams 2012 draft pick 1.2 (RG3) & then proceed to skyrocket to the playoffs...what do you think Snead & Fisher were thinking when that 2013 selection was in the 20's? Is that same thinking here now when we want to take a Cleveland Browns future first round pick think that the Browns will remain a losing team? Browns have some serious talent on that teams and just needs a decent QB to make thing happen. I would think twice before trading off sure high value draft pick for the UNknown future pick from a team like the Browns.

tonyl711

Starter
Known draft selections vs UNknown future draft selections...Snead when trading with known draft selections, where known value is set ..are close or just slightly less than the standard Trade Value Chart.

In Snead's short history when he has traded for future selections he has not been sheepish in getting value for his risks.... Snead gets dramatically heavy in demanding value for the risk. Basically in Snead world there is a sizable interest payment demanded when an NFL team lends you, trades you, their current in hand ready to use draft choices. Ask the Washington Redskins.

This time last year Snead was looking rather green in the face when the Rams owned 2013 Washington Redskins First Round selection was a 1.22. (780 DVP's) Not much value in that selection in return for the Skins use of the Rams 1.2 in 2012. I bet he was kicking his own Xss for not demanding more from the Skins. Snead after that self beating had a serious bit of good luck come a yr later and we are in a very good positions to strengthen this Ram team now or wait & gamble to do it in the future draft.

In two NFL drafts as GM Snead has traded five times (3 trade downs & 2 trade ups) with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, Atlanta & Houston. All with mixed results. The best of course was his first and the worse one was with Dallas. We have seen that Snead & Fisher really aim mark & target few prospects & then move to maximize to pull out all the DVP's to use without leaving anything on the table.

I sure was shocked to see the Skins 2011 team take the Rams 2012 draft pick 1.2 (RG3) & then proceed to skyrocket to the playoffs...what do you think Snead & Fisher were thinking when that 2013 selection was in the 20's? Is that same thinking here now when we want to take a Cleveland Browns future first round pick think that the Browns will remain a losing team? Browns have some serious talent on that teams and just needs a decent QB to make thing happen. I would think twice before trading off sure high value draft pick for the UNknown future pick from a team like the Browns.
I understand what you are saying but, you are only moving to #4, plus taking a second rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. only losing 2 slots in the draft I don't think your getting bad value no matter where they draft next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I understand what you are saying but, you are only moving to #4, plus taking a second rounder this year, and a first rounder next year. only losing 2 slots in the draft I don't think your getting bad value no matter where they draft next year.

Some teams go several decades without being able to select such high valued draft prospects this high in the draft. This space is extremely valuable & if you have it you better get the best value for it. High stakes & much damage for GM's & HC who fail to maximize this value. The spaces (Value) between 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 & 1.4 like the grand canyon but the after the top of the draft the value space begins to drop fast & hard. That move from 1.2 down to 1.4 depending on the teams needs & teams board is BIG.

The draft value points is 400 pts for a reason. The space value @ 1.1 & 1.2 is super valuable & by 1.5 DV pts drops dramatically & looses value. Here are four former 1.2 Ram draft picks since 1965. Dickerson (83), Long (08) & Jason Smith (09). Add in two 1.1 Pace (97) & Bradford (10) 4 of the 5 are some seriously valuable Ram players.

tonyl711 Would you trade out cheaply & miss on a future Pace or a Dickerson?