Lawrence Phillips letters from prison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
lawrence-phillips-2008-prison.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...n-letters-written-from-prison?ftag=YHR6f8d662

Back in April, former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips was named a suspect in the death of his cellmate at Kern Valley State Prison in Delano, Calif, where he's been incarcerated for almost eight years.

In 2008, Phillips was sentenced to 31 years in prison for convictions that included domestic violence, spousal abuse, false imprisonment and vehicle theft.

Not much is known about the life that Phillips is spending behind bars, until now that is.

In a series of letters written to people who coached Phillips in high school and college, the No. 6 overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft has been painting a harrowing picture of what it's like to be incarcerated.

The most recent letter was sent on May 3, just 22 days after the death of his cellmate. In that lettter, Phillips told former Nebraska assistant coach George Darlington that he's "alright."

Phillips hasn't yet been charged with anything in relation to his cellmate's death.

From the May 3 letter (All letters via USA Today)

Dear Coach D,

How are you doing coach? I am doing well.

As far as the package, due to my current situation I may not be allowed it. So if you have not already sent the package do not send it.

I cannot speak of the situation here but I am alright. Please let anyone know who asks you that.

I hear Husker spring practices are a little more spirited. That is a plus. I do not think teams will ever practice how we practiced. … If a team ever comes back to that mentality, they will crush the college ranks.

Alright Coach D, that's all from here.

Nebraska football is a common theme in Phillips' letters. When he's not describing the horrific situation in prison, Phillips spends most of his time talking about the Huskers.

In a May 2014 letter to former high school assistant coach Ty Pagone, Phillips describes what causes a lockdown and mentions that he doesn't have a cellmate.

Dear Coach Pagone (May 29, 2014),

We are still today on lock down due to some stabbings and assaults between black and white inmates. It has been ongoing for sometime.

I am glad to hear Marie's wedding was great. Usually an open bar leads to a lot of dancing.

I do not have a cell mate. All of these dudes want to use drugs and (illegible) weapons in the cell. I'm in the process of applying for single-cell status. I will let you know how that goes.

In another letter to Pagone, Phillips writes that the other inmates only care about three things: Drugs, making knives and making alcohol.

At the end of the letter, Phillips also seems to show that he understands why people felt he was a lost cause after an NFL career that included just 25 games.

Dear Coach Pagone (June 15, 2014),

I received your letter and package a day apart. We do get the packages in lock down as the companies do not really want the items back.

We have been in lock down about 80% of the time. You would be surprised at what these altercations are about! Nonsense! But when your world is this small all one has to care about is nonsense. That is why I do not want any of these idiots in the cell with me.

All they they want to do is the drugs, make knives and make alcohol. Then they say when they get out they will not come back. I tell them of course you will. You are doing the same thing that got you locked up. Of course they do not want to hear that. It is like speaking to a brick wall.

Now I understand how people must have felt talking to me. So needless to say I have zero friends inside here. Not one person is in line with my way of thinking.

Well that's all from here, Pagone. I will stay out of trouble. I might have to endure some write-ups for refusing a cell mate though. Better that than them getting me into serious trouble.

In a letter to former high school coach Tony Zane, Phillips writes that it's "completely nuts" in prison.

Dear Coach Zane (July 6, 2014),

I hear you were in Hawaii. I am sure you had a good time. Remember when we went out there and kicked their butt in the all-star game and they tried to hold up our bus and all that crap? Good times.

Well there is not much happening here. We are still on lock down because they found a hacksaw in someone's cell. Apparently people use the saw to cut up the bunks and make knives. It is completely nuts in here. It is pretty much a free for all.

In another letter, written on Sept. 14, Phillips says he sides with the NFL in the then-recent cases involving Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice. Phillips also calls prison a "jungle" and says there's "trouble everywhere."

Dear Coach D (Sept. 14, 2014),

Huskers kicked butt out there. I only listened to the radio. The game was not televised here. (Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah) has a real chance at the Heisman and the Huskers could win the Big 10, although the Big 10 is a bit watered down with the injury to O-State Q.B. (Braxton Miller).

NFL is going through some stuff. Unfair to blame the NFL for what guys do. … These misdeeds by the players (are) being used by the liberal parties and the media to further their particular interests. Next they will be forcing out owners like they did with the Los Angeles Clippers owner (Donald Sterling).

Well, there is nothing new happening here. We are still locked down. One of the guards was assaulted so it may be awhile. Coach D, this place is a jungle. Trouble everywhere. One must swallow his pride constantly or one will always be in the hole. But we must deal with the situation we put ourselves in.

Unless he's paroled, Phillips will be in jail until 2039 when he'll be 64-years-old. The former Rams running back turned 40 on May 12.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This was heart breaking to read. I cannot fathom having to spend most of my life in prison. Especially after having so much success in life. You really don't know a person until they're in the deepest of the deep. We are extremely lucky to have the life that we do.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know much about LP, but breaks my heart that football is the only thing he has left.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What a shame. I remember being so happy the Rams drafted him and thought he was going to be a beast in the NFL. What a waste of talent. I hope he can rehab his soul.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sorry, hate to sound cold, BUT, as the saying goes, " If you can't do the time, don't pull the Crime!" ( It's an Old jail house slogan I heard once, and it stuck in my mind!)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sorry, hate to sound cold, BUT, as the saying goes, " If you can't do the time, don't pull the Crime!" ( It's an Old jail house slogan I heard once, and it stuck in my mind!)

Yup, but prisons these days ain't what they used to be. There was a time when they were designed so people didn't want to come to prison. Now its a cake walk at some. The Chowchilla men's prison recently put in microwaves in all the housing units. Now they're getting ready to install FM transmitters so inmates can tune to a certain station and put in their earbuds to listen to the dayroom TV's better. How do I know this? I'm the guy who has to buy that stuff.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yup, but prisons these days ain't what they used to be. There was a time when they were designed so people didn't want to come to prison. Now its a cake walk at some. The Chowchilla men's prison recently put in microwaves in all the housing units. Now they're getting ready to install FM transmitters so inmates can tune to a certain station and put in their earbuds to listen to the dayroom TV's better. How do I know this? I'm the guy who has to buy that stuff.
Sounds more Like a Vacation getaway than a Prison!

nighttrain

Legend
This was heart breaking to read. I cannot fathom having to spend most of my life in prison. Especially after having so much success in life. You really don't know a person until they're in the deepest of the deep. We are extremely lucky to have the life that we do.
i dont know, but Phillips seems to have matured, i hope for his sake it's the real deal and he one gets a shot at parole.
train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

We need to swap stories sometime. Here in Maryland it's very basic in what they have. Everything's pretty cheap. They have a basketball court but no weights. The computers look like something out of the 80's. The air-conditioning goes off and on in the summer. Mostly they sit around and play cards when they're not working.

As far as Lawrence Phillips goes, from the letters he writes he sounds like what they call "institutionalized." The inmates call it a "three hots and a cot" mentality. Crime and prison is all he knows, along with the violence that goes along with that. Chances are he was also raised in that mentality in the foster homes he grew up in.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
@LACHAMP46 posted these a couple nights ago.
They made me feel for the guy a little. Just a little.
He's still responsible for his actions and poor decisions. As an adult, you know good from bad.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tempests

Hall of Fame
We are extremely lucky to have the life that we do.

Most of us don't drag women down the stairs by their hair, choke them unconscious or try and kill a group of teenagers by running over them with our car.

It's not luck.