Last seasons QB draft picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I just heard an press conference with Jeffrey Louray of the Phildelphia Eagles. It was interesting to hear an owner talk to the media to begin with, but what was interesting to me was the plan to move up for a QB.
He said that he was able to find out 1st through inside information who the Rams were going to take before making the big move, not just going in blind.
Ok now, obviously that makes sense but do you think they would have made the same move if it was Goff ?
Now I know that there has been a lot of conversation about this over multiple threads but it seems like Wentz is the better QB so far. Better players around him, better offensive coaching staff, better scheme to fit the QB, yes all the above.
McVay is addressing all that too with the Rams and I hope Goff comes out week one and plays as well as Wentz did or better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So if we are to believe him... he was able to get secret information out of the Ram Decision Makers. Maybe even without the actual decision makers knowing.

I'm calling bullshit on that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Did you watch Wentz last year? Just curious how much of his tape you saw. His mechanics were not good, and he went from future Hall of Famer to a questionable rookie once the media hype readjusted itself. He is, just like Goff, a relative unknown still but an unknown with very high talent level.

But the answer is yes, they would have moved up regardless. Last year's QBs compared quite nicely to the previous group, with some different strengths and weaknesses but overall there was no doubt QB was going to go 1-2, and likely there would be a third by late round 1.

I am eagerly awaiting Goff playing up to his draft spot. That might well be sweeter than even the wins tbh, given how much flak and BS the kid has gotten from day one. He was set up to fail IMO. Let's see how he does this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So if we are to believe him... he was able to get secret information out of the Ram Decision Makers. Maybe even without the actual decision makers knowing.

I'm calling bullcrap on that.
BIG DITTO's!!! No way does any Team Leak who they want to pick 1st in their Draft!!

Ram65

Legend
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/04/nfl_draft_2016_word_on_the_street_among_nfl_teams.html

....Eagles executive Howie Roseman said publicly after the trade he wasn't sure who the Rams were selecting, but did know the direction the Eagles were headed.........

The local sports radio shows were bashing the Eagles owner all morning. He likes to spin things to make himself look good. I think would have wanted either QB. Like Snead sid in the other thread...Jared will be getting the the reps with the 1's from the beginning this year. He has to learn coverage and will get the experience he needs to show off his skills. Let's see what happens this year!
https://twitter.com/EliotShorrParks

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many philly sports guys I listen to, and trust their opinion, were firmly in the belief that the Eagles made the trade to take whoever was left. And there was a group that preferred Goff. Its revisionist history now but back then I distinctly remember the consensus for that pick being Goff 1, Zeke 2 and Wentz 3
Of course after Wentz played well and Goff poorly, stories get changed to fit the narrative

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ok now, obviously that makes sense but do you think they would have made the same move if it was Goff ?
No....

These guys have proven that they are entirely different animals. One can make plays with his feet. The other can't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The owner is blowing smoke. The Eagles moved up to take the QB that the Rams weren't taking. I have a feeling the Eagles knew the Rams were taking Goff because Goff seemed to be considered the consensus #1 QB. But they were willing to come away with either. They looked at the 2017 QB class and knew they needed to make a move.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you watch Wentz last year? Just curious how much of his tape you saw. His mechanics were not good, and he went from future Hall of Famer to a questionable rookie once the media hype readjusted itself. He is, just like Goff, a relative unknown still but an unknown with very high talent level.

But the answer is yes, they would have moved up regardless. Last year's QBs compared quite nicely to the previous group, with some different strengths and weaknesses but overall there was no doubt QB was going to go 1-2, and likely there would be a third by late round 1.

I am eagerly awaiting Goff playing up to his draft spot. That might well be sweeter than even the wins tbh, given how much flak and BS the kid has gotten from day one. He was set up to fail IMO. Let's see how he does this year.
Yes, I seen just about every game. Im in the Philly market.
He played very well out of the shoot, but it tapered off as the season went on.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just want to see this out of Goff. I want to see more command of the huddle. I want to see him making checks, recognizing the blitz and going to the hot read I wanna see him give his receivers a chance on the deep ball instead of everything going out of bounds. I want to see him get rid of the ball and I definitely don't want to see him fumbling the ball. I'm not worried about wins and losses I just want to see improvement. I don't care about the drops. I wanna see improvement from Goff with the things that he can control

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I seen just about every game. Im in the Philly market.
He played very well out of the shoot, but it tapered off as the season went on.
Everyone uses that as a negative. Defense got more tape on him that's all. At the end of the day though he still won games. Goff played the same from beginning to end and actually got worse with more tape on him, that's just the nature of the beast

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Fisher was a big part of Jared's performance last year. Fisher didn't give Jared a chance to grow into a leader. You need an offseason with the 1st team snaps in order to gain players' respect and to be able to command the huddle.

Fisher treated Jared like a backup QB (sometimes 3rd string). So he will get the respect that a rookie backup qb gets... No matter how good you are, if you get treated like a backup by your HC, it goes downhill from there. Then one day, Fisher decided Jared is the #1 QB and just tossed him out there. I think a part of it is having zero veteran leadership on offense. The team culture and environment was terrible.. He was a rookie QB without any support.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
"They looked at the 2017 QB class and knew they needed to make a move."

jrry32 nailed it...

Rams did the same, they knew 2017 was NOT going to be a year for the QB

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect more improvement out of Goff now that we have a coaching staff that can adapt to modern standards of the NFL. I'm beating a dead horse and I'll keep doing so until we have a winning season: Jeff Fisher is the reason why Goff struggled.

His ability to maneuver in the pocket and keep his feet moving are one of the core reasons why he shows a lot of promise. Hopefully McVay will correct his throwing mechanics though because his last few games showed errant accuracy

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They didn't know, and it's too early to tell which QB is better.

It was pretty easy to tell who The Rams were going to pick , a week after the trade.

How much doubt did you have The Rams were drafting Jared Goff ?? There was enough info to know. Fisher wanted to also let Jared go through the experience. Which I give him credit for. I think it was pretty cool , & that Jared Goff is going to be a very successful QB in the NFL .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I expect more improvement out of Goff now that we have a coaching staff that can adapt to modern standards of the NFL. I'm beating a dead horse and I'll keep doing so until we have a winning season: Jeff Fisher is the reason why Goff struggled.

His ability to maneuver in the pocket and keep his feet moving are one of the core reasons why he shows a lot of promise. Hopefully McVay will correct his throwing mechanics though because his last few games showed errant accuracy

Well Snead said in his latest interview , that the difference from this season from last , is Jared Goff will be taking all the first team reps. Getting all the reps he needs to be successful .

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No....

These guys have proven that they are entirely different animals. One can make plays with his feet. The other can't.

haha, as if. they moved up for the scraps. anyone who says different doesn't deal in reality.

the only reason i wanted wentz was because he fit fisher's shit scheme better than goff, even though it was obvious goff possessed better pocket presence and threw better balls. now that fisher was thankfully kicked to the kerb i'm over the moon the rams picked goff. they knew fisher wouldn't last long in lala land.