Last Chance U (Netflix)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Anyone check out this miniseries on Netflix yet?

It's a documentary that follows a juco college football team. East Mississippi...apparently one of the best juco teams in the country.

Some of it is really moving. But damn, some parts made my jaw drop. It has to be the most dysfunctional team I've ever seen. By the end, the head coach comes off as a total sociopath.

What did you think of it? And if you haven't seen it, it's worth a watch.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Just started watching it a couple days ago, I've got one episode left. Really like how the show is put together.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was looking for something new to watch last night and saw this on Netflix, didn't start it but was curious as to what it is. Is it fictional?

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
I was looking for something new to watch last night and saw this on Netflix, didn't start it but was curious as to what it is. Is it fictional?

Think of it as Netflix's hard knocks. They are with a junior college team for their season. Shows a good amount of football and practice and then some of their lives.

fearsomefour

Legend
The part with coach being a sociopath....par for the course in college athletics in my experience.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, not fiction. It's a documentary mini series.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The part with coach being a sociopath....par for the course in college athletics in my experience.

Really? That's scary. It seems like this head coach goes way over the line. Punching the ref and shit (although the ref was far from perfect too).

fearsomefour

Legend
Really? That's scary. It seems like this head coach goes way over the line. Punching the ref and crap (although the ref was far from perfect too).
Working with some college athletes at that level mostly (JC) the nonsense is amazing.
Par for the course is an overstatement on my part, however, I do tell my guys the last game you play just for fun is your last game in high school.
Make no mistake, after that it is a business. Watch out for yourself because no one else will.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Working with some college athletes at that level mostly (JC) the nonsense is amazing.
Par for the course is an overstatement on my part, however, I do tell my guys the last game you play just for fun is your last game in high school.
Make no mistake, after that it is a business. Watch out for yourself because no one else will.

That is why my brother quit. He said college football wasn't fun and lacked camaraderie where he was. Nobody likes the new guy coming in to take your job.

fearsomefour

Legend
That is why my brother quit. He said college football wasn't fun and lacked camaraderie where he was. Nobody likes the new guy coming in to take your job.
This is it.
I work with baseball players.
Coaches denying or hiding player injuries, lying about status, players having to do work for the coach disguised at fundraising, coaches showing up to practice drunk, promised help with academics not being there, coaches threatening players with physical violence, coaches bad mouthing players to stop them from moving on....the classic one that goes on most places is as follows....baseball practice/tryouts start in Sept usually. The run until December. So, guys put in four months work, come back from winter break and meet the new guys.....maybe 1, maybe 8....that have come in from other programs or been recruited to replace or compete with who is there. This is not coaching. This is just recruiting. This is mostly what these guys do. There are two ways to develop a team....bring in guys and work your ass off to make them better, or, go give a nice sales pitch and recruit guys. Clear to see which is easier. these are all things some of my guys have experienced the last couple of years. The real issue is there is no standard for coaches. Frankly (in baseball anyway) most are pathetically bad. The worst player development (it is generally bad across the board) is often at higher levels. It is rather sad. Just like with any other job one would hope for a good coach or at least a good person. I have found very few of either in college baseball.
My only experience with football (thankfully) is at lower levels.