Larmacus Joyner is turning heads at training camp/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Larmacus Joyner is turning heads at training camp

By Ryan Van Bibber

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/30/5952039/st-louis-rams-larmacus-joyner-training-camp

The Rams may have found their next defensive super star

The St. Louis Rams defense has been the big story so far at training camp, the defensive line in particular. Don't overlook rookie defensive back Lamarcus Joyner though. The second-round pick out of Florida State is blowing everyone away with what he's done so far.

Tyler Bishop @TylerBishop
#Rams Camp - Joyner has everything you want intangibly. He is proving himself on the field every day. He will rise up as a leader.

Joyner made waves at camp on Tuesday with an interception, which wasn't his first pick of camp so far.

He's been rotating into the slot corner position with the first team defense early in camp, but still getting reps with the backups. So he doesn't have a starting job locked down just yet, but it could be just a matter of time if he keeps up his current blistering pace in camp.

Joyner might not be limited to the slot either. Here's what he said back in May after the Rams drafted him when he was asked about what position he wanted to play:

"Coach asked me that same question and I told him, ‘Coach, I'm a defensive back. I don't like to limit myself.' I play corner, I play nickel, I play safety. Wherever we are weak in the secondary, I'm going to make the team better, because I'm going to give my all and make that position better. I'm a team person, so I'm going to do whatever Coach wants me to do in the secondary."

Making the roster isn't even a question for Joyner. He's got that locked down, and being a second-round pick doesn't hurt either.

Another place to watch for contributions from Joyner is special teams. Here's what special teams coach John Fassel had to say about him:

"... a little scrappy, tough, feisty guy. I mean to me that's who we want on special teams - a guy that's tough, not a real big guy, but he's going to fight."

Ok, I started this post with the intention of making something informative. Whatever. I'll just be honest, this is straight hype. I'm excited about Joyner. Camp is so removed from what happens on the field, and it seems like we're reading glowing reports about every rookie and nearly every player every year only to be left scratching our heads when the regular season starts. That's fine.

July and August are for hype, for getting exciting. And, dammit, I'm excited about Joyner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It wouldn't surprise me if we nabbed 3 pro bowlers in Donald, Joyner, and Robinson.

And if so; it's that kind of draft that propels teams to greatness.

JRobinson

MiLB
Well, being an FSU diehard from birth, I can assure all of you that this is not just hype. Joyner is a special player. As the article stated about his intangibles; they are through the roof. As the article stated about the scrappiness and fiesty approach; those are understatements. I'm no scout, but I tell you the truth, this guy could easily be a pro bowler in his second year. And, he will most likely be our best DB by seasons end. Call me an FSU homer if you want, but I've seen him play multiple, multiple times. I've seen our current DB's play two full seasons as well.

Don't worry about the College to NFL transition with Joyner. Have faith and trust what I tell you. As I have never been so bold about any player on our team, this is the guy I would put my reputation (very little on this board) on.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Well, being an FSU diehard from birth, I can assure all of you that this is not just hype. Joyner is a special player. As the article stated about his intangibles; they are through the roof. As the article stated about the scrappiness and fiesty approach; those are understatements. I'm no scout, but I tell you the truth, this guy could easily be a pro bowler in his second year. And, he will most likely be our best DB by seasons end. Call me an FSU homer if you want, but I've seen him play multiple, multiple times. I've seen our current DB's play two full seasons as well.

Don't worry about the College to NFL transition with Joyner. Have faith and trust what I tell you. As I have never been so bold about any player on our team, this is the guy I would put my reputation (very little on this board) on.

Seen Joyner play many many many times as well. I agree 100% with every thing you said. Joyner is one of the greatest football players and leaders I've ever seen, and I would gladly put any reputation I have on him being great. However much hype he's getting, it's not enough.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It wouldn't surprise me if we nabbed 3 pro bowlers in Donald, Joyner, and Robinson.

Or more,Tre Mason has the potential as well

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

This draft will make or break us, because I think, looking back, I'd be happy, overall, with our other one's, and we will still get some more returns from them. But...this is it, if this draft pans out big, we will be there, and be there for a long time...I'm talking playoffs, I'm talking sustainability.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I liked everything too except the "turning heads" cliche. Made me cringe.

Alan

Legend
:wabbit:Thordaddy being merciless:
You are a wild and crazy guy Utuk
You bastard!
Now I'm going to have to spend Bhudda knows how long trying to figure out what Utuk means. :mad: :(