Language Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
There are thousands of different languages and dialects in the world. Most of which I do not speak. I have a feint grasp of conversational Spanish. That grasp seems to be fading a bit every year. English is my thing. I can do English.

I probably make my share of grammatical mistakes and misspellings. (Thank goodness for spellcheck.) Also, there are multiple acceptable ways to express ideas, and even spell words. Our British ROD pals may express their opinions with more “colour” and our Aussie friends are probably nodding their head, saying “fair dinkum”.

But I’m trying to figure out a way to finesse some questions I have about recent language trends I have seen. In light of new communication methods, such as texting, twitter, social media forums such as ROD, there have been language shortcuts that have become part of the lexicon of our culture.

However, I have noticed a trend that bothers me a bit. (I recently noticed it with one of my millennial sons, too)

Is our language getting dumbed down, or am I just uptight?

Probably.......”prolly?” :palm:
Would have....would’ve....”would of” :palm:

I’d say these are just ignorance, lack of education, or the result of “feelings” concerns in our education system, but I see guys I consider smart (many smarter than me, no doubt) using these phrases, among others.

Please don’t think I’m being elitist. I’m looking for input from you guys. Why has this become the norm?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes on the former, probably on the latter.

I was pretty happy when Twitter increased their character count from 140 to 280. It allowed me to avoid using stupid grammatical shortcuts to get my point across (*U* instead of *you*, etc). To that end, what you are seeing now is the manifestation of the abuse of social media conversation spilling over into everyday conversation.

I don't know if it's any worse than it's ever been, because when you're younger you don't really pay that much attention to it. But as you get older, you start to pick up on how idiotic people sound. So it's prolly a little of both.

fearsomefour

Legend

I was pretty happy when Twitter increased their character count from 140 to 280. It allowed me to avoid using stupid grammatical shortcuts to get my point across (*U* instead of *you*, etc). To that end, what you are seeing now is the manifestation of the abuse of social media conversation spilling over into everyday conversation.

I don't know if it's any worse than it's ever been, because when you're younger you don't really pay that much attention to it. But as you get older, you start to pick up on how idiotic people sound. So it's prolly a little of both.
Language is getting wok as F

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Appreciate the great reply @x.

:rant:Now get off my lawn!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no English call of a Rams TD that I like more than the Spanish call that X posts every week. I tickles the shyte outta me!:yess:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think that at this point in time, language is changing faster than we can standardize it and it's easier to see that people don't know how to write things correctly.

People of today use written language more than ever before. It's therefore much easier to highlight a lack of knowledge that had always been there.

Plus, all those drugged out people from the 60's and 70's are having a hell of a time convincing their kids to pay attention in school.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Would've is perfectly acceptable grammar, as a contraction for would have.

OTTH, would of drives me fucking nuts!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just curious. Why doesn’t “prolly” bug you? Is it just one of those shortcuts? I guess if I knew the author of prolly knew how to spell it but was saving characters from spelling p r o b a b l y it wouldn’t give me a twitch.

I know, for example, Paul knows the difference but is just using short hand, but when my son used it the other day I wanted to strangle he and his English teacher for sucking the collective IQ from the future generation. He ACTUALLY meant it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's one that cracks me up.

"SUPPOSEBLY".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yes for sure. Yes for sure.

To that end, what you are seeing now is the manifestation of the abuse of social media conversation spilling over into everyday conversation.

And children aren't as well educated as they used to be. Going to class doesn't mean learning.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Here's one that cracks me up.

"SUPPOSEBLY".

GHow about "they need to get the offense untracked".

This could be fun.

One of the basketball phrases I fucking HATE........"he can score the ball". Um, what the fuck else would he score with during a game!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a aspiring authoress, I get really annoyed at things like "would of" and "prolly." There's no excuse to do this, even on the Internet.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is no English call of a Rams TD that I like more than the Spanish call that X posts every week. I tickles the shyte outta me!:yess:

Oh really?

I call bullshit on that @LoyalRam !!!

It still gives me goosebumps that Vermeil had the moment in his hands and said "you couldn't ask for a better script" to Warner as the Rams took the field.