Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams0307

I wasn't a huge fan of drafting Lamarcus Joyner because, IMO, he lacks athleticism to be a good slot corner. His SPARQ score wasn't impressive, he ran (and more importantly plays to) a 4.55 40 yd, and his 3-cone and shuttle weren't very good, so when I see him having difficulty keeping up with his assignment, it worries me. I'm hoping the Rams move him to safety, where I think he's a better fit, when Trumaine Johnson comes back and move EJ Gaines to the slot.

Your thoughts?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think he is a rookie learning the NFL and he will develop into a star playing in the nickel or safety.

Wonderboy

Rookie
So far ( way too early to draw many conclusions) he has definitely been outplayed by Gaines. I hope Gaines doesn't lose a lot of playing time when Tru comes back because I think as of right now he's the best option. But I'm not ready to give up on Joyner, I hope he pans out and the Rams have tremendous depth in the secondary for the next couple of years.

Alan

Legend
I wasn't fond of him either but as I remember it, he was the best available at the time and we really, really needed a replacement for CF. As for what we should do going forward, I'll leave that to Fisher because I don't get to look at the coaches tape. With my vision I'm not always sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing when I just watch the game. :)

V3

Hall of Fame
I felt the exact same as you. I didn't limit my evaluation on just his numbers, though. I thought he would disappear for long stretches at Florida St and was helped a lot by the best defense in the country. He'd then come up with a big play so all of that was forgotten or ignored. I thought he'd be a much better FS, which is what I thought he was drafted to be, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm hoping it's just him being a rookie.

jdhommert

Rookie
He was one of my favorite players in the draft if not my overall favorite (not the best)

I screamed when we drafted him and was so excited...then I heard later that weekend that he was going to be a nickel corner, not a safety...which leaves me feeling meh

Rams0307

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I felt the exact same as you. I didn't limit my evaluation on just his numbers, though. I thought he would disappear for long stretches at Florida St and was helped a lot by the best defense in the country. He'd then come up with a big play so all of that was forgotten or ignored. I thought he'd be a much better FS, which is what I thought he was drafted to be, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm hoping it's just him being a rookie.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you match about his tape anymore because I've been really busy between then and now. :LOL: I do remember he was great at coming off the edge on a blitz, but that's all I got.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He needs to be playing FS with McLeod as our reserve safety and slot CB.(Gaines moves into the slot when Tru returns)

He's at his best at FS and, imo, would be an upgrade on McLeod...who cost us big time today when he blew his assignment giving Dez that long TD.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
SPARQ is an acronym for Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction and Quickness.

OK. Doesn't really mean much to me because after doing a quick wiki read, Jon Stewart and Tim Tebow have the best scores. One dude barely plays and the other talks on TV.

MEH.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm still happy they took him, the depth of this secondary with young talent is downright impressive. Even moreso than I expected due to the play of Gaines.

And the really impressive thing is the Rams are missing what is probably their best CB. At least I think Tru will prove to be that when he returns, he was really coming into his own last year and has the size and physical ability to really shine in an aggressive scheme.

Look at where this secondary was two short years ago to now... Just wow, what a difference. It's gonna start showing, too, I refuse to believe otherwise.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wasn't a huge fan of drafting Lamarcus Joyner because, IMO, he lacks athleticism to be a good slot corner. His SPARQ score wasn't impressive, he ran (and more importantly plays to) a 4.55 40 yd, and his 3-cone and shuttle weren't very good, so when I see him having difficulty keeping up with his assignment, it worries me. I'm hoping the Rams move him to safety, where I think he's a better fit, when Trumaine Johnson comes back and move EJ Gaines to the slot.

Your thoughts?

I hated the selection and have been hoping for the best ever since.:(

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Trumaine Johnson should not be playing the slot. Jenkins or Gaines would be the two options besides Joyner once all our DBs are healthy.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Your thoughts?

Way too early do judge him. I personally liked this pick very much. But I do you and the others that think he should be playing safety.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He needs to be playing FS with McLeod as our reserve safety and slot CB.(Gaines moves into the slot when Tru returns)

He's at his best at FS and, imo, would be an upgrade on McLeod...who cost us big time today when he blew his assignment giving Dez that long TD.
It seemed to me like Jenkins was passing him off to McLeod or recovering from a move and then McLeod was expecting McDonald to be there? Or did the whole secondary bite on that run? I would think that it should have been on McLeod myself, but no matter what there should have been some safety help back there.

And I'm right there with you regarding Gaines playing slot corner with Joyner at free safety.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Will need to watch the film but I thought the the blown coverage TD was on McLeod, and the PI on Joyner was actually McLeod's fault, too. Did I mention I don't like McLeod?:p

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am not concerned here. Lamarcus Joyner has been out for awhile with a injured back he did miss the entire Buc's game. So Joyner may not have been 100% yesterday. Last week when the Rams went into the Nickel.... starting corner EJ Gaines assumed the Nickel post in the Bucs game with Brandon McGee taking up the Trumaine Johnson post. Gaines looked very good in the Nickel. McGee did not play the corner as well as Gaines did. McGee was constantly injured & unwell for most all the TC & pre season with nagging ailments. The alleged 3rd Ram CB McGee did not see the field in the defense in the season opener & then again he was totally MIA yesterday. Rams have had constant injury issues with their CB this season with McGee/Johnson/Joyner. The rookie Joyner is learning the Nickle in the NFL not an easy task. When you are starting two rookies (Joyner/Gaines) in a very young secondary in the Nickle you will have some mishaps just a fact.

Its my position that deep FS post, now manned by Rodney McLeod is the best NFL position for Lamarcus Joyner. Once Trumaine Johnson returns to full health & is ready to load up the full duties back @ his starting CB post with JJ, then we may see some more of EJ Gaines playing the Nickle again like we saw in the Tampa bay Game. Gaines did a very good job playing the Nickel when Joyner was out with that back injury.

By mid season it would not surprise me if Brandon McGee is surpassed by Marcus Roberson in the CB depth chart...McGee has done nothing with any of his chances to contribute to this Ram team thus far IMO. It would not surprise me if by the end of the season that the Rams secondary may morph into the below :

CB-Johnson/Gaines/McGee
CB-Jenkins/Roberson/Joyner
SS-McDonald/Alexander/Davis
FS-Joyner/McLeod/Davis
Nickel-Gaines/Joyner/McLeod