Kurt Warner: "The Patriots outplayed us and deserved to be Super Bowl champs"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below to watch video.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...heating-speculation-unfortunate-for-everyone/

Kurt Warner calls Patriots cheating speculation “unfortunate” for everyone
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjknmflztyynzyxntdmmtmxzwfiyji3zwziywzhymqw-e1441326996152.jpeg
Getty Images

The Patriots won their first Super Bowl against the Rams in early 2002. From time to time over the past several years, members of the Rams have discussed the question of whether the New England win resulted in any way from cheating.

Much of that talk was sparked by a Boston Herald report from 2008, which alleged that the Patriots secretly videotaped a Rams’ walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. The Herald later retracted it, but people continue to believe it — as evidenced by a recent ESPN apology for stating the withdrawn allegations as fact.

Quarterback Kurt Warner addressed the topic again on Thursday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, after Judge Berman’s ruling was issued on Thursday. Specifically, I asked whether Warner ever wonders whether something fishy may have occurred.

“You know what I really don’t,” Warner said. “I don’t think there was any wrongdoing I don’t have any reason to think that other than the reports and knowing that the Patriots were engaged in some of those things along the way. When, where, how much, I don’t really know.

“All I always say is that I think it’s unfortunate because there’s no question on that Super Bowl Sunday that the Patriots outplayed us and deserved to be Super Bowl champs. But I think anytime you have someone or an organization that’s caught doing something outside the rules, all it does is it gives reason for, I don’t even want to say doubt, but for speculation of what happened, when did it happen, how did it affect them and all of those things, and I think it’s unfortunate.

I think it’s unfortunate for both sides. It’s unfortunate for the Patriots if it had absolutely nothing to do with them winning that we even have to talk about that. I think it’s unfortunate for the teams that maybe they beat along the way because now it makes those teams and those players and those fans go, ‘Well I wonder if they did and that’s why they beat us.’

“So I think it’s unfortunate all the way around, but I think it’s human nature that when somebody’s caught or it looks like they may have done something outside the rules. It’s going to always lend itself to if something else happens with that person or organization them saying,

‘Well, see. Here you go. It’s a history of it.’ And I think that’s the unfortunate part to this whole thing you know, but it’s unfortunate that when you do something like that that pushes the envelope it’s always going to keep people talking and it’s always going to be in the back of people’s minds.”

What was in the front of everyone’s mind on Thursday was the scrapping of the suspension.

“I’ll say first I was very surprised,” Warner said. “Simply because I felt like the issue became more about Roger Goodell’s authority to be able to lay down this punishment as opposed to was the punishment warranted? So I thought based on the CBA and what I understood of the CBA that this was in the realm of what Roger Goodell could do, whether you agreed with it or not, and I believed that the courts were going to uphold that because it was in the agreement. So I was very surprised from that standpoint that they nullified the suspension.

“From the other side I definitely understand if you’re looking at it from a legal standpoint and for me from day one I’ve really felt like everything that I know and I don’t know everything was very circumstantial. It was very hard for me to see a man’s character attacked and to see a guy punished for four games because he likely knew about something but we had nothing extremely credible to say that he was involved in anything. So from that standpoint and the legal standpoint I definitely understand and not surprised if you were going from that standpoint that this was nullified.”

FRO

Legend
I wonder if that scar will ever heal for me? Still painful to this day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner didn't exactly say what the title says if you read the entire quote.

He basically said that everything swirling around the team makes you question if they did something to gain an upper hand and brings doubt into your mind.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Soooo, in a RAMbling, meandering way...he said what? "They may or may not have cheated, but I am going to say other stuff too". Kurt should run for office at this point......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Soooo, in a RAMbling, meandering way...he said what? "They may or may not have cheated, but I am going to say other stuff too". Kurt should run for office at this point......
That's what happens when you take a job with the shield.
Faulk doesn't work for the NFL, so he can tell it like it really is.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Warner didn't exactly say what the title says if you read the entire quote.

He basically said that everything swirling around the team makes you question if they did something to gain an upper hand and brings doubt into your mind.

That's exactly what he said. Don't imply that I misquoted him. It's the most important part of that interview. There's not enough room to put the whole quote in the title. That's why we expect those who comment to read the entire article and get the context yourselves.

I will always love Kurt Warner for the man he is and for what he did for the Rams but I vehemently disagree with his statement.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Shut the fuck up, Warner! You embarrass this organization by saying that!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

kurt has always said he wonders if somethnig happened, but always blames it on the reports.

he's too classy to come out and say - those cheating fucks rorted us with the help of those fucked up officials who let countless personal fouls and holds by those fuckwits slide so they kept illegally hitting and holding. it was the biggest fix in the history of sports.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That's what happens when you take a job with the shield.
Faulk doesn't work for the NFL, so he can tell it like it really is.

Didn't Faulk work for the NFL network ??? If so, is he no longer with them ???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Didn't Faulk work for the NFL network ??? If so, is he no longer with them ???
Yeah I guess he is. I forgot.
Well, that shoots all kinds of holes in my theory then.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's exactly what he said. Don't imply that I misquoted him. It's the most important part of that interview. There's not enough room to put the whole quote in the title. That's why we expect those who comment to read the entire article and get the context yourselves.

I will always love Kurt Warner for the man he is and for what he did for the Rams but I vehemently disagree with his statement.

Chill. I'm responding to all the people freaking out about Warner. If you read the entire quote, the context of it shows that's not exactly what he's saying. I'm not accusing you of misquoting him. I'm pointing out that the quote doesn't reflect the entire statement.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not surprising. Kurt's always been a cordial guy, always polite and never liked stepping on toes, aggression wasn't his forte.

He gave the football player answer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Click link below to watch video.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...heating-speculation-unfortunate-for-everyone/

Kurt Warner calls Patriots cheating speculation “unfortunate” for everyone
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjknmflztyynzyxntdmmtmxzwfiyji3zwziywzhymqw-e1441326996152.jpeg
Getty Images

The Patriots won their first Super Bowl against the Rams in early 2002. From time to time over the past several years, members of the Rams have discussed the question of whether the New England win resulted in any way from cheating.

Much of that talk was sparked by a Boston Herald report from 2008, which alleged that the Patriots secretly videotaped a Rams’ walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. The Herald later retracted it, but people continue to believe it — as evidenced by a recent ESPN apology for stating the withdrawn allegations as fact.

Quarterback Kurt Warner addressed the topic again on Thursday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, after Judge Berman’s ruling was issued on Thursday. Specifically, I asked whether Warner ever wonders whether something fishy may have occurred.

“You know what I really don’t,” Warner said. “I don’t think there was any wrongdoing I don’t have any reason to think that other than the reports and knowing that the Patriots were engaged in some of those things along the way. When, where, how much, I don’t really know.

“All I always say is that I think it’s unfortunate because there’s no question on that Super Bowl Sunday that the Patriots outplayed us and deserved to be Super Bowl champs. But I think anytime you have someone or an organization that’s caught doing something outside the rules, all it does is it gives reason for, I don’t even want to say doubt, but for speculation of what happened, when did it happen, how did it affect them and all of those things, and I think it’s unfortunate.

I think it’s unfortunate for both sides. It’s unfortunate for the Patriots if it had absolutely nothing to do with them winning that we even have to talk about that. I think it’s unfortunate for the teams that maybe they beat along the way because now it makes those teams and those players and those fans go, ‘Well I wonder if they did and that’s why they beat us.’

“So I think it’s unfortunate all the way around, but I think it’s human nature that when somebody’s caught or it looks like they may have done something outside the rules. It’s going to always lend itself to if something else happens with that person or organization them saying,

‘Well, see. Here you go. It’s a history of it.’ And I think that’s the unfortunate part to this whole thing you know, but it’s unfortunate that when you do something like that that pushes the envelope it’s always going to keep people talking and it’s always going to be in the back of people’s minds.”

What was in the front of everyone’s mind on Thursday was the scrapping of the suspension.

“I’ll say first I was very surprised,” Warner said. “Simply because I felt like the issue became more about Roger Goodell’s authority to be able to lay down this punishment as opposed to was the punishment warranted? So I thought based on the CBA and what I understood of the CBA that this was in the realm of what Roger Goodell could do, whether you agreed with it or not, and I believed that the courts were going to uphold that because it was in the agreement. So I was very surprised from that standpoint that they nullified the suspension.

“From the other side I definitely understand if you’re looking at it from a legal standpoint and for me from day one I’ve really felt like everything that I know and I don’t know everything was very circumstantial. It was very hard for me to see a man’s character attacked and to see a guy punished for four games because he likely knew about something but we had nothing extremely credible to say that he was involved in anything. So from that standpoint and the legal standpoint I definitely understand and not surprised if you were going from that standpoint that this was nullified.”

Kurt Warner, you are now dead to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chill. I'm responding to all the people freaking out about Warner. If you read the entire quote, the context of it shows that's not exactly what he's saying. I'm not accusing you of misquoting him. I'm pointing out that the quote doesn't reflect the entire statement.
th
"Overruled." :admin: :D

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Kurt Warner, you are now dead to me.
He bleeds Cardinal Red anyway. I respect the man but he's mostly been PC on this particular subject over the years. I honestly don't listen to him anymore. I'd rather hear the truth from a guy like Marshall who won't sugarcoat it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I no longer want to see Kurt's #13 retired in his Honor!!