Kurt Warner says he now wonders if Pats gained unfair edge in Super Bowl XXXVI

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-pats-gained-unfair-edge-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/

Kurt Warner says he now wonders if Pats gained unfair edge in Super Bowl XXXVI
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 27, 2015

kurt-warner.jpg
Getty Images

The Patriots 20-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI was the first of three titles for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in New England.

Adam Vinatieri’s 48-yard game-winning field goal denied Kurt Warner and the Rams a second Super Bowl title in three seasons.

On the heels of Deflategate and Spygate, Warner said Tuesday that he now has at least a little shred of doubt as to whether the Patriots win to cap the 2001-02 season was all on the up-and up.

In an interview with Dave Mahler of Sports Radio 950 KJR at Super Bowl XLIX Media Day on Tuesday, Warner said he now has to wonder whether the Patriots may have used an unfair edge to their advantage to earn that first Super Bowl.

“I don’t want to believe that there was anything outside of his team beat our team,” Warner said in regards to his reaction to Deflategate. “That’s what I want to believe. Yeah, there’s a sliver of a doubt because I think, as a human, you can’t help it. To know that if you were a part of that process at that time, was there any advantage they gained in any game, not just our Super Bowl game, but maybe a game before that to get to the Super Bowl? I mean, all those things enter your mind.

“It’s not because I’m bitter. It’s not because I say they cheated, because I have no idea, but it adds a sliver of doubt that I think is unfair to everybody. It’s unfair to them and their legacy. It’s unfair to me and my legacy because I don’t want to have to wonder, well did they beat me fair and square or was there something extra? And that’s the unfortunate part that I don’t think you’ll ever get over because you know something was done outside the rules. I don’t know how it helped them. I don’t know if it gave them an advantage on one play – that turned into an interception or a touchdown – or it gave them no advantage. I don’t know.

“I don’t want to talk about it. I want to know that I got beat fair and square. That’s the spirit of fair competition. That’s what I believe every time I step between the lines is that I’ve got to beat that guy across from me. And if I’m better, I will do that. If I’m not, I won’t. But now when you add other things to the mix, now all it does is give you a little bit of a doubt. That’s what I’m saying. It’s unfair I don’t look at it that way because I try to fight against it because we’re never going to know, but it’s unfortunate that I even have to consider it.”

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just a shred of doubt, Kurt?

When I think about it, I'm reminded of the phrase by Denzel Washington's character in 'Training Day': "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."

Ok, so maybe I can't prove that the P*ts cheated ... but I know they did.

iced

actually warner has said stuff over the past couple of years, particularly a few years ago w/ marshall

gotta love journalists who don't do their due diligence

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have to think this is a lot stronger and goes back longer than he lets on... he was just afraid of people dismissing it as being a sore loser.

JMO.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I want to hear Mike Martz' take on this, the OFF CAMERA version that he hinted at once. I know he knows it was a complete fix, but for the sake of ever working again with the NFL, he won't say so.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Kurt is the face of the NFL Network
This can't be good for GODdell
It's cause Kurt is the GREATEST HUMAN EVER

Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Okay, if it was just taping the walk-through . .. would that amount to them winning? To me the uncalled defensive holdings hurt offense more . . .but what we don't know is if they had more data, remember we played them in NE . . . did they do more taping there?

I would like to hear from Martz what was unusual that the Pats did that cannot be explained by good scouting . . .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hate the New England Patriots so very much even if the History Channel is showcasing the Sons of Liberty!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just a shred of doubt, Kurt?

When I think about it, I'm reminded of the phrase by Denzel Washington's character in 'Training Day': "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."

Ok, so maybe I can't prove that the P*ts cheated ... but I know they did.

I believe that quote is from Tom Cruise's character in "A Few Good Men". It may also be from Training Day, but I get lost with all of Denzel's "guarantees"...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I believe that quote is from Tom Cruise's character in "A Few Good Men". It may also be from Training Day, but I get lost with all of Denzel's "guarantees"...

I know it was said in 'Training Day' ... can't remember it from 'A Few Good Men'.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Okay, if it was just taping the walk-through . .. would that amount to them winning?

Remember Marshall said that we ran 4 brand new red zone plays that we NEVER ran before and the Cheatriots jumped into the exact right defense EVERY time. No way that's coincidence. Those plays were part of the walk through the day before the SB. In a 3 point game ................YES that would amount to them winning.

FRO

Legend
The lack of in depth investigative journalism on spy gate is horrible. I wonder if it would be dug into deeper if it was St Louis team cheating the Boston team? It's sad that we don't have any good, deep reporting on cheating during a Super Bowl. Can you think of a bigger sporting event than the Super Bowl? One team cheated, the league destroyed the evidence and nobody has dug into the story beyond just what's on the surface. I got to believe the league burned the evidence because it was damning and they didn't want the Super Bowl to be tainted.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's definitely from 'Training Day'. Here's another good one...

"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139654/quotes

My favorite from 'A Few Good Men'...

"Commode, I'd like you to leave the room so we can talk about you behind your back."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104257/quotes
Warner's no dummy. He knows that something wasn't right but parses his words very carefully. The Pats started holding Marshall Faulk right at the beginning and when the refs didn't call it they kept right on doing it. Why wouldn't they? Martz could have adjusted the game plan but didn't.

Btw I have great respect for Warner, Faulk, and Martz. Speaking as a Rams fanatic we were lucky to have all three of them at the same time. Those who insist that the rest of us who felt cheated should just move on - forget it. That loss was the beginning of a long, brutal downfall for our team and the ascension of the hated Patriots. That's something you tend to remember.

iced

Warner's no dummy. He knows that something wasn't right but parses his words very carefully. The Pats started holding Marshall Faulk right at the beginning and when the refs didn't call it they kept right on doing it. Why wouldn't they? Martz could have adjusted the game plan but didn't.

Btw I have great respect for Warner, Faulk, and Martz. Speaking as a Rams fanatic we were lucky to have all three of them at the same time. Those who insist that the rest of us who felt cheated should just move on - forget it. That loss was the beginning of a long, brutal downfall for our team and the ascension of the hated Patriots. That's something you tend to remember.

there's actually an bit from faulk who talks about the pats knowing their signals and checks for brand new plays that were installed that week - and the plays that the rams scored on were actually drew up right there on the sideline after martz called a time out...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's definitely from 'Training Day'. Here's another good one...

"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139654/quotes

My favorite from 'A Few Good Men'...

"Commode, I'd like you to leave the room so we can talk about you behind your back."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104257/quotes

Dude yes 1000%

jap

Legend
Remember Marshall said that we ran 4 brand new red zone plays that we NEVER ran before and the Cheatriots jumped into the exact right defense EVERY time. No way that's coincidence. Those plays were part of the walk through the day before the SB. In a 3 point game ................YES that would amount to them winning.

Hell! On the Pats final drive leading to the game-winning FG, Brady threw the ball away while he was clearly still within the tackle box, and the damn refs never called the intentional grounding penalty. Marshall was held or tackled virtually every time he went out for a pass, and the damn refs called a penalty only once! When they finally called a penalty on the Pats for holding|tackling Marshall, the announcer stated openly, "They can call the penalty anytime!"