Kroenke Messing with St Louis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am listening to the ESPN local station in ST Louis called "The Turn"...The guys reported that Stan Kroenke is trying to purchase additional land next to the already purchased 60 acres near Hollywood Park.

Kroenke is Turning the screws, and for the first time I am wondering about his intentions.

Rodger Goodell: "St Louis just needs to continue supporting the Rams" in an audio clip...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
His intentions are to get a new or high quality stadium for his team.
Whether that be in St. Louis, Los Angeles or somewhere else.
I Don't see that this has ever changed.

No doubt he's putting pressure on the people in St. Louis to get something done.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No doubt he's putting pressure on the people in St. Louis to get something done.
You're saying it all so matter of fact...This would be huge dissention if the Rams move back....Dealt with it once, it's not fun.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Lets not forget that Stan has more interests out there than just the Rams. I seriously doubt he just bought this land to "mess with St. Louis" - and if he bought it with negotiations in mind, then nicely played, Stan.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's a rich land owning guy, he could build a stadium in LA and until he puts Rams logos on it I wouldn't worry. He will let his intentions be known in due time.

I agree, no doubt. However the recent article by Sam Farmer and the Commissioner's comments earlier aren't just directed at St Louis, but also San Diego and Oakland to get their act together, and for leverage for the Bills that there is an LA presence looming for potential buyers.

Stalter brought up a good point - this situation is a win-win for Kroenke. He will either get a new stadium in St Louis or LA. I still believe that the future is in St Louis, however for once, I would like to hear some positive news for any momentum towards a stadium solution in St Louis. We are constantly bombarded with the threat of the LA market, just like Minnesota, Indianapolis, and a host of other cities before us. I do remember one thing that Demoff said in a recent interview that the stadium situation could hit "rock bottom" before there is a solution, but still believes that the future of the franchise is in St Louis. I am just curious what "rock bottom" means.

Stay tuned, this could get a lot more dicey before it is all said and done.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets not forget that Stan has more interests out there than just the Rams. I seriously doubt he just bought this land to "mess with St. Louis" - and if he bought it with negotiations in mind, then nicely played, Stan.

No, the Messing part is that he is now trying to buy Hollywood Park, next to the 60 acres. the same site that Goodell says is the best place for a new LA Stadium. He also reminded everyone that he wants two teams in LA..AFC possibles are the Chargers and the Raiders..He only mentioned the Rams as the NFC Team....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a rich land owning guy, he could build a stadium in LA and until he puts Rams logos on it I wouldn't worry. He will let his intentions be known in due time.
Maybe...but when was the last time Stan said anything..His actions have bought land in LA, and none in ST Louis (suitable for a stadium)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe he's part of the new ownership of the MLS club Chivas USA. They recently were bought out by MLS because of seriously poor ownership. Maybe this has been already discussed and I'm late to the party, but it makes about as much sense as the Rams moving at this point.

The new ownership is supposedly "a Mexican businessman, and a wealthy American executive."

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/4...nounced-after-world-cup-san-cadilla-la-aztecs

Edit: just remembered he already owns an MLS club, so this seems doubtful.

Last edited:
Maybe...but when was the last time Stan said anything..His actions have bought land in LA, and none in ST Louis (suitable for a stadium)

This is just my speculation, but I believe he may be looking for land from the city or state instead of buying it for himself in St Louis. There have been multiple rumors about land north of the stadium that could become available, and would land big enough for a stadium be good enough for Stan? Who knows except for him.

The last time Kroenke publicly addressed the stadium issue was in Fisher's press conference, and the last time he stated anything positive was in 2010, still a very long time ago.

bluecoconuts

Legend

That seems to be his MO to be honest, he's not an in the spotlight owner. I do know that he owns various chucks of land all over, so I wouldn't worry. If he was to start building a stadium it would be an interesting twist, but for all we know he wants to rent it out.

The additional land purchase, if it happens definitely puts more pressure on St Louis, but I think that they will get it done and get the Rams the stadium they deserve (in St Louis)... and I say that as someone who lives in LA. Unless the city of St Louis doesn't want the Rams they will get the deal done.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
I am pleased to see Stan run the team like a business with excellence in mind long term. Negotiations on a new stadium require both leverage and compromise, so IMO he'll come to the table now with both to get the best deal done. I supported the LA Rams and now STL Rams with changes to our division rivalries, ownership, uniforms, coaches, players, etc. I believe Stan wants to stay in STL and hope that is the case, but prepared for whatever happens as a loyal fan.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Stan is a real estate mogul. Think about that for a moment. He bought 124,000 acres in Montana a few years ago - that didn't mean he was planning on moving the Rams to Montana.

Lets say he bought the LA Land because he does think that football is going to come back to LA someday and that he does think that would be a prime stadium spot. Even that doesn't mean that the Rams are going to be the team to play there - he could just sell the land to the team that does move - or to the new team if it comes via expansion. He buys land - lots of it - all over the place. Some he sells and some he develops. This is what he does.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Stan is a real estate mogul. Think about that for a moment. He bought 124,000 acres in Montana a few years ago - that didn't mean he was planning on moving the Rams to Montana.

Lets say he bought the LA Land because he does think that football is going to come back to LA someday and that he does think that would be a prime stadium spot. Even that doesn't mean that the Rams are going to be the team to play there - he could just sell the land to the team that does move - or to the new team if it comes via expansion. He buys land - lots of it - all over the place. Some he sells and some he develops. This is what he does.

The problem with your last paragraph is that his real estate company specializes in suburban development. So I doubt he would hold onto the land to sell to another owner. The land was slated to become a residential neighborhood in the first place, so maybe he's just going to continue with that plan.

We won't know until shovels break ground.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Profit is profit. Just because I specialize in something doesn't mean I force every deal to be fall into my wheelhouse. For all we know - Sam is buying this land to keep football out of LA because he thinks the Rams are more valuable with LA not having a team. (Doubtful, I'll admit - but since we are all wildly speculating here)

Philly5

Rookie
Stadium stuff is old. Would be nice to see it resolved and the Rams in a new stadium. Team has the feel of a second rate franchise (Bills, Jags, etc..) until it gets done.

I am pleased to see Stan run the team like a business with excellence in mind long term. Negotiations on a new stadium require both leverage and compromise, so IMO he'll come to the table now with both to get the best deal done. I supported the LA Rams and now STL Rams with changes to our division rivalries, ownership, uniforms, coaches, players, etc. I believe Stan wants to stay in STL and hope that is the case, but prepared for whatever happens as a loyal fan.

I agree - I know Kroenke turns a lot of people off because he doesn't speak publicly often and is has an interesting demeanor, to say the least. However, he is definitely a businessman. I have no doubt he looked into the remaining Hollywood Park property for either development of a stadium or as part of his real estate development endeavor to run a cost/benefit analysis for the long term purpose of the property. That is what businessmen do. Could he turn that property into an NFL site? Absolutely. Could he turn that property into another development? Absolutely. No one knows what he is going to do, the best we can do is speculate.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Like others have said, Kroenke is a business man, it's not like the Rams are the only venture he owns, he's got multiple teams and businesses all in the business of needing land.

Perhaps he's decided the Nuggets need a new home?